Seriously No Politics ×

Gifts of the Spirit

32 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

What are the best gifts? How do we get them?

Prophecy, charity, wisdom, and knowledge are my favorites.

You get them by following the parable of the talents and using the gift or gifts you already have. You still most likely will not get them all in this life but you can pray for them and then humbly accept the gifts you are given.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:12 PM, Avatar4321 said:

What are the best gifts? How do we get them?

You don't "get" the gifts you want. You get the gifts you need at the Lord's discretion often tied to a calling or particular traumatic obstacle.

I'd note that most people who exercise a gift are typically careful about where they share stories about it. Most people I'd consider having such experiences seem loath to share it except as prompted by the spirit. The people who talk about it the most I tend to assume either had counterfeits or are exaggerating. I can't say that's always true, but it's hard for me to believe someone who talks about such sacred things regularly often seeming to get praise or status.

17 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Why does the Lord tell us to seek the best gifts if we can't get the ones we desire?

Because ideally we should be seeking God's will which would be what is best for us. When I was a young child my desire was for lots of junk food and cartoons. Receiving that wouldn't have been best for me. The best gifts are the ones God wants for us. We have to find out for ourselves so we can seek them.