Sign in to follow this  
Rivers

Misleading headline about Elizabeth Smart

I hate when people do that.  And it seems to be a really popular thing to do, just to get people to click on the article.  I think that there should be some standards in journalism that newspapers and reporters are held to.  It's getting idiotic.

OK, to clarify for me, is the misleading headline that it speaks of Elizabeth Snart but has a gay Mormon news video at the top of the article? Or is the misleading headline that Smart isn’t actually wary of religion but the use of religion to justify harmful actions against others, sometimes extremely harmful? 

Newsweek has really dropped in quality all around.

I read this a few days ago, and if I recall correctly it makes it appear she thinks premarital sex should be off the "do not" list, rather than the idea that once one has had sex outside of marriage, whether consensual or forcible, you have been changed forever, lost your chastity or somehow lack purity even if you haven't sinned or repented if you have.

Somehow I doubt she is pushing for the Law of Chastity to be repealed.

1 hour ago, Darren10 said:

OK, to clarify for me, is the misleading headline that it speaks of Elizabeth Snart but has a gay Mormon news video at the top of the article? Or is the misleading headline that Smart isn’t actually wary of religion but the use of religion to justify harmful actions against others, sometimes extremely harmful? 

My opinion, Smart being "wary of religion" is an outright lie even though it quotes her about excessive attitudes in the text iirc.

She also didn't really change the way we think about sex in general, though maybe some with extreme views realized they took it too far.  I do think she has helped draw significant attention to how we shouldn't talk about sex, though she hasn't said anything new that I know of...just made what has been taught by many already better known (was it Holland who said the nail hole in the piece of wood should be taught not as if the Atonement fills the hole and polishes it so it can't be seen, but rather as the wood being completely renewed as if the hole never existed?).  Also helped raise the comfort level of talking about sex, imo.

Edited by Calm

14 hours ago, Darren10 said:

It's misleading because it says that Smart is wary of religion when she isn't wary of religion at all (she's in fact a practicing mormon).  

On 11/12/2017 at 11:22 PM, Calm said:

My opinion, Smart being "wary of religion" is an outright lie even though it quotes her about excessive attitudes in the text iirc.

She also didn't really change the way we think about sex in general, though maybe some with extreme views realized they took it too far.  I do think she has helped draw significant attention to how we shouldn't talk about sex, though she hasn't said anything new that I know of...just made what has been taught by many already better known (was it Holland who said the nail hole in the piece of wood should be taught not as if the Atonement fills the hole and polishes it so it can't be seen, but rather as the wood being completely renewed as if the hole never existed?).  Also helped raise the comfort level of talking about sex, imo.

On 11/13/2017 at 1:04 PM, bluebell said:

It's misleading because it says that Smart is wary of religion when she isn't wary of religion at all (she's in fact a practicing mormon).  

That's what I thought, just had to make sure and I agree with both of your assesments. We should be very charitable when talking about sex and definitely include the Atonement for when we make the wrong choices regarding sex. And, yes, Eizabeth Smart is a very active Mormon, always has been from my understanding, and she has done great things after her terrible ordeal. 

Edited by Darren10

Tonight I watched her story on A&E and last night, it's a two part series.

This Saturday there is a Lifetime movie about her kidnapping. It looks like the Salt Lake Police Department really dropped the ball in her case, terribly.

I also read her mother's book and hers a few years ago. I remember the day she was kidnapped and the day she was found.

I do think she may suffer a little crisis of faith if she ever finds out about Joseph Smith's wives. I believe David Brian Mitchell tried to live early Mormon polygamy, of course the early Mormon leaders didn't kidnap their wives but still went about it wrong, IMO.

Edited by Tacenda

8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

This Saturday there is a Lifetime movie about her kidnapping. It looks like the Salt Lake Police Department really dropped the ball in her case, terribly.

I also read her mother's book and hers a few years ago. I remember the day she was kidnapped and the day she was found.

I do think she may suffer a little crisis of faith if she ever finds out about Joseph Smith's wives. I believe David Brian Mitchell tried to live early Mormon polygamy, of course the early Mormon leaders didn't kidnap their wives but still went about it wrong, IMO.

JS's wives are pretty common knowledge at this point, why do you think she doesn't know about them?

If she reads about the angel with the flaming sword? If she reads that Joseph married two women aged 14, her age and he was much older in his thirties? When she reads that JS married women who were already married?

Believe it or not, there are many that haven't even read thoroughly about JS's wives. My own sister in law only knows about some sealings and that's it. She's been on three missions, served with her husband in Ireland who was a mission president. Her husband was a CES employee for many, many years. Their last mission was serving in the London temple, and now they are temple workers in their home town. If she doesn't know about it, why should Elizabeth? 

10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It is in a Gospel Essay, for goodness sake.

Someone who is out there in the public, who is as educated, who went through testifying at Mitchell's trial etc, who has been a missionary and no doubt was confronted by people who knew her situation and who had all the internet arguments to choose from....I think it is highly unlikely she has not been exposed or not researched the topic in depth in order to be able to handle any challenges thrown her by press or critics, people thinking she represents the Church and therefore has to have an answer for everything.

Early church leaders didn't rape their wives either.

If you read Mitchell's reasoning or behaviour, there is very little similarity.

Edited by Calm

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

It is in a Gospel Essay, for goodness sake.

Someone who is out there in the public, who is as educated, who went through testifying at Mitchell's trial etc, who has been a missionary and no doubt was confronted by people who knew her situation and who had all the internet arguments to choose from....I think it is highly unlikely she has not been exposed or not researched the topic in depth in order to be able to handle any challenges thrown her by press or critics, people thinking she represents the Church and therefore has to have an answer for everything.

Early church leaders didn't rape their wives either.

I know they didn't rape, not saying that. And you may be right, she may know, but in my mind I just thought it may cause some angst.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/TheLaw/research-reveals-secrets-psychology-polygamous-sects-leaders/story?id=9955379

"The polygamous sects perpetuate that separation in order to more creatively apply practices according to their own leader's dogma...

Q: Is it just polygamy that splinters the fundamentalist LDS?

A: No, although that is the most controversial red line for many such new religions, and they really are new religions. They have their own unique prophets, sometimes their own unique scripture, and not surprisingly, unique revelation. Any of these would be an apostasy for which the LDS would end any association."

5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I know they didn't rape, not saying that. And you may be right, she may know, but in my mind I just thought it may cause some angst.

CFR that Mitchell's form of polygamy was close to early church practices instead of primarily psychotic and criminal.

Edited by Calm

1 hour ago, Calm said:

CFR that Mitchell's form of polygamy was close to early church practices instead of primarily psychotic and criminal.

Only that he chose a younger bride.

Not exactly a specific early Mormon polygamy identifier.  For example, while Joseph Smith was sealed to two possible 14 year olds (iirc Nancy Winchester's age isn't known for sure), he was sealed to a number of older women.  Nor is there any evidence Joseph had sexual relationships with them and quite a bit that he didn't (Helen's writings show she didn't see herself as a wife at that time).

Edited by Calm

On 11/13/2017 at 11:58 PM, Tacenda said:

I am going to try and watch that tonight..(the A&E)..I read her book and was very impressed with her honesty there and it must have been so difficult for her to do that..even years later.  I can certainly understand that her experience would bring about some deep questions and thoughts about the church and some of its teachings.  I have seen in her inspiration to others in the church..that certains ways..and teachings about morality and sin has made some great changes.  My biggest question after her book and reading some of her other stories is...could other 14 year olds have some of those "icky" feelings..not that they were kidnapped or physically harmed..but those feelings.  Certainly she identified with polygamy in a different way due to her experiences.  I am happy that she is happy...remembering the day she was found..was a joyous day. It is to be sure that she holds fast to the mormon faith..and for her..this is a very good thing.

Edited by Jeanne

Sign in to follow this