Sign in to follow this  
nuclearfuels

Pigeon-holed in similar non-linear callings?

So if you were called over a period of 8 years in let us say a certain calling which you had reservations about but accepted anyway, at what point would you say no to future callings in the same certain calling area?  If you said no to such a calling and then received a similar calling a few months later, what would you think? Not enough adults to call or inspiration coming back again?  In all honesty when Auxiliary leaders make recommendations for certain callings in ward council/correlation mtg, is there further prayer/consideration/Spiritual guidance by Ward Leaders?  I believe so and I hope so; just seems strange to get a calling quite similar to one I said no to a few months earlier.

I've heard that Sunbeams coteacher in a former ward I was in received seven no's in response to callings and I can't judge anyone who turned it down as I wasn't part of those callings' issuance.  A friend of mine in college turned down a Primary call since she was a homemaker with three boys and said she needed a break.

The non-linear part makes sense; we all don't progress in the same order of callings...BUT it seems odd to me to have received such a similar calling in multiple wards over many years, in a chartered organization that I do not support.

1 hour ago, nuclearfuels said:

In all honesty when Auxiliary leaders make recommendations for certain callings in ward council/correlation mtg, is there further prayer/consideration/Spiritual guidance by Ward Leaders?  I believe so and I hope so;

There is prayers for guidance and much consideration put into callings.  But in the grand scheme of things isn't is much simpler if you know something that you communicate it to your bishop or auxiliary leader rather than expecting them to receive that knowledge by revelation? 

I was stuck in missionary work for over a decade across three wards. Finally broke the streak last time I moved. Now if I could just stop being called to Single Adult committees all would be well. I hate the fact that the requirement of actually “doing the calling” usually means I get it. Seems like it is punishing good behavior. ;) 

I never reject callings. That whole Temple covenant thing basically means I cannot.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

So if you were called over a period of 8 years in let us say a certain calling which you had reservations about but accepted anyway, at what point would you say no to future callings in the same certain calling area?  If you said no to such a calling and then received a similar calling a few months later, what would you think? Not enough adults to call or inspiration coming back again?  In all honesty when Auxiliary leaders make recommendations for certain callings in ward council/correlation mtg, is there further prayer/consideration/Spiritual guidance by Ward Leaders?  I believe so and I hope so; just seems strange to get a calling quite similar to one I said no to a few months earlier.

I've heard that Sunbeams coteacher in a former ward I was in received seven no's in response to callings and I can't judge anyone who turned it down as I wasn't part of those callings' issuance.  A friend of mine in college turned down a Primary call since she was a homemaker with three boys and said she needed a break.

The non-linear part makes sense; we all don't progress in the same order of callings...BUT it seems odd to me to have received such a similar calling in multiple wards over many years, in a chartered organization that I do not support.

What do you mean by "a chartered organization that you do not support"?

Just now, bluebell said:

What do you mean by "a chartered organization that you do not support"?

Pretty sure he means Boy Scouts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

When you're asked for a calling, always pray about it to confirm from the Spirit that this is right.  If it is, do it.  If not, don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

There is prayers for guidance and much consideration put into callings.  But in the grand scheme of things isn't is much simpler if you know something that you communicate it to your bishop or auxiliary leader rather than expecting them to receive that knowledge by revelation? 

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I was stuck in missionary work for over a decade across three wards. Finally broke the streak last time I moved. Now if I could just stop being called to Single Adult committees all would be well. I hate the fact that the requirement of actually “doing the calling” usually means I get it. Seems like it is punishing good behavior. ;) 

I never reject callings. That whole Temple covenant thing basically means I cannot.

35 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Thank you, kfisher, Nehor (right on all counts), and Bluebell. Each of you have replied in the same way family and friends have responded to my questions. I guess in the mouth of 8 or 9 witnesses,...:)

Might I ask each of you a follow up question: I do understand we are supposed to accept all callings extended to us but when you're in a branch (I'm not) and have 3 or 4 callings, I think it's ok to say no to one of those callings; that's not my question though. Question: If callings are inspired and from God (which I believe they are) and "whether by my own voice or the voice of my servants, it is the same," should we view each calling as if it came from the Savior Himself?  If so, it seems odd to me that any person with any calling would know when they should be released (health, moving, new job, new baby, etc.).  If we're honest with ourselves who would accept a new job or move if the Savior Himself called them to be the usher, ward greeter, physical facilities rep, etc. etc.?

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

That makes sense, thanks. 

4 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Thank you, kfisher, Nehor (right on all counts), and Bluebell. Each of you have replied in the same way family and friends have responded to my questions. I guess in the mouth of 8 or 9 witnesses,...:)

Might I ask each of you a follow up question: I do understand we are supposed to accept all callings extended to us but when you're in a branch (I'm not) and have 3 or 4 callings, I think it's ok to say no to one of those callings; that's not my question though. Question: If callings are inspired and from God (which I believe they are) and "whether by my own voice or the voice of my servants, it is the same," should we view each calling as if it came from the Savior Himself?  If so, it seems odd to me that any person with any calling would know when they should be released (health, moving, new job, new baby, etc.).  If we're honest with ourselves who would accept a new job or move if the Savior Himself called them to be the usher, ward greeter, physical facilities rep, etc. etc.?

If it was the Savior himself who personally issued each calling then I'm sure everyone would always have the perfect calling.  In his absence, however, we are sometimes asked to do the best we can without the perfect understanding that the Savior has.  He expects us to use our own brains, counsel together, figure things out, and seek for inspiration.  We are not guaranteed that we will receive perfect guidance every time we ask.  Sometimes the answer comes as a yes, sometimes a no, and sometimes the answer seems to be "go ahead and try that and see what happens." 

We should view each calling as from the Savior himself, as the authority that is issuing the calling ultimately comes from Christ.  But we cannot expect a church leader to have 100% knowledge of our circumstances.  That just isn't how the Lord leads his church.  He does allow trial and error on the part of his leaders.  That doesn't take anything away from their authority though.

All callings come with a release.  If the release needs to come because you're moving it would seem most efficient from you to just let your leader know, rather than expect it to come by revelation.  Same goes if physical limitations begin to make it difficult or impossible for you to fulfill a calling.  The simplest way for a leader to know what you're experiencing is for you to tell them.  And sometimes it's just as important for you to come to the realization and admit to yourself that you need to be released rather than having someone else tell you.

• Like 2

I'm not one who thinks you should necessarily accept every calling extended to you. I think people are human and as such, sometimes they get it wrong. I also think callings are sometimes inspired/extended with Heavenly Father having no intention or the person to serve in it. For example, I once felt very strongly I should ask for a sister, but when the bishop said no I had the Spirit telling me that he needed me to humble myself enough to ask for her so I could listen in other things. 

I did turn down one calling. I felt it was wrong. My husband felt it was wrong, but I wish I had done what I have learned since then - talk to the bishop about my feelings/circumstances after I had the chance to pray about it.This gives the leaders the opportunity to ponder over what is going on so they can receive better or clarifying inspiration. 

Now, if this is a scout calling...I was not big about it before being called. I did the online training and there was so much more to it than I was seeing. I believe part of why I am in this calling is so I can emphasize with the scout leaders that we are training the boys to really live the scout law, not just to pass off a bunch of requirements.

Is it possible you are being asked again, in whatever calling,  because there is something in the local organization that you need to help others to see?

• Like 1

Be proactive so it never gets to saying no. Let the bishop know your needs and limits. I worked with very high maintenance special needs kids during the week as a single mother. I told each new bishop that my weekends were my maintain sanity time. I would not use them to plan another lesson and herd more kids. I was never called to primary. 

• Like 2