Sign in to follow this  
MrSpruceMoose

Turning to Christ

Christians seem several expressions for some one following Christ: Accepting Christ into my life, turning myself over to Christ, giving my life to Christ, let go and let God, etc.... The main theme seems to be giving your life to God.

From an LDS perspective, what does this mean and how is it implemented in our own lives? Is it church service, keeping the commandments, putting a greater reliance on faith.....? The idea of how to give up control of your own life and give it to Christ has always confused me. After all, we have our free agency and "he that is compelled in all things is slothful and not a wise servant". 

I know I'm missing something here so tell me your persective on it. 

Sounds like a faith vs works question.  And to quote Stephen Robinson "a pox on both their houses."

Reliance on God vs anxiously engaged using our agency are not mutually exclusive in any way.

Giving your life to Christ means following him, relying on him and doing as he says.  That includes faith and works.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrSpruceMoose said:

Christians seem several expressions for some one following Christ: Accepting Christ into my life, turning myself over to Christ, giving my life to Christ, let go and let God, etc.... The main theme seems to be giving your life to God.

From an LDS perspective, what does this mean and how is it implemented in our own lives? Is it church service, keeping the commandments, putting a greater reliance on faith.....? The idea of how to give up control of your own life and give it to Christ has always confused me. After all, we have our free agency and "he that is compelled in all things is slothful and not a wise servant". 

I know I'm missing something here so tell me your persective on it. 

Hello MSM,

I think there may be a lack of understanding of the comments when we turn our lives our to Jesus Christ. Having lived around or with Evangelicals/Protestants and many Catholics for most of my life I can only share my understanding.  If I turn over my life to Jesus Christ then I accept him as my Lord and Savior - I am going to accept his will for my life rather than follow my own will.  I don't think that there is a thought that anyone loses their agency, quite the contrary, they forfeit their own will and accept God's will. 

Though we don't often use these types of phrases I think that we actually teach and seek after the same objective.  When we partake of the Sacrament we renew our covenant to take his name upon us - this is the same thing.  We accept him as our Master and we will seek to serve him and accept his will for the way we live our lives. 

I'm not sure if i understand exactly what you are asking, but this quote from L. Whitney Clayton came into my mind when I read the OP-

"When we decide to do 'whatsoever [God] saith unto' us, we earnestly commit to align our everyday behavior with God's will."

• Like 1

It's not giving up control of your life.  It is choosing to control your life as Christ would have you control it. 

You may be familiar with a Carry Underwood song:

Jesus, take the wheel 
Take it from my hands 
'Cause I can't do this on my own 
I'm letting go

This isn't accepting Christ into our lives in an LDS perspective.  As LDS we should recognize and let Christ know that we don't know where to go next.  That we understand he knows best.  Then ask him to help us know where we should turn the wheel so we can do that on our own and follow him.  

"Turning to Christ"

Welcome to this board, MrMoose.

Last Sunday, in a lesson I taught to my High Priest Group, I used some ideas presented in General Conference by Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, First Countselor in the Primary General Presidency (See her comments in full at https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/04/trust-in-the-lord-and-lean-not?lang=eng .).  She emphasized three ways that one could effectively "trust in the Lord and lean not unto thine own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5):

1Read Scripture -- “feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.” (2 Nephi 32:3) Scriptures enlighten our minds, nourish our spirits, answer our questions, increase our trust in the Lord, and help us center our lives on Him.

2.  Pray -- we can come to know the Lord and trust Him through prayer. What a blessing to be able to pray to our God! “Pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart.” (Moroni 7:48)   

3.  Compassionate Service -- we can come to know the Lord and trust Him as we serve others.  “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:17)

The Jews similarly present three pillars upon which the world rests:  Torah (Scripture), Temple Service, and Charitable acts.  Abot 1:2.

In LDS terms it is taking upon yourself the name of Christ through baptism and becoming Christ.

Teaching this doctrine more would help with low self worth issues. It is hard to hate yourself when Christ is what you see in the mirror.

First time I ever heard of the subject that you're sort of talking about in the OP,  was from a southern woman who taught the RS lesson. She said to put our troubles at Jesus' feet. I'd never really heard of that before in my LDS walk. And it was so refreshing and comforting. 

Edited by Tacenda