Seriously No Politics ×

The Next Time a Critic Gripes Re: Church's Business Interests . . . Quote Quinn

On 10/21/2017 at 8:44 AM, smac97 said:

Appreciate you sharing.  And I submit this is what you'd expect from a mature & established church.  A solid financial position, modest growth and funds generated to be used elsewhere (among other things, the Catholic Church in England & Wales is funding anti-slavery/anti-sex trafficing efforts at home and abroad).  And if they are relying on subsidy from the Vatican or anywhere else--well, they've sure done a good job of burying it (and they must have bribed the independent accountants, too).

;0)

LDS woes in the UK due to secularism as some LDS have insisted?  Well, if that's really part of the story, it's likely a small part--if the Catholic experience is to be believed.    

--Erik

46 minutes ago, Five Solas said:

Appreciate you sharing.  And I submit this is what you'd expect from a mature & established church.  A solid financial position, modest growth and funds generated to be used elsewhere (among other things, the Catholic Church in England & Wales is funding anti-slavery/anti-sex trafficing efforts at home and abroad).  And if they are relying on subsidy from the Vatican or anywhere else--well, they've sure done a good job of burying it (and they must have bribed the independent accountants, too).

;0)

LDS woes in the UK due to secularism as some LDS have insisted?  Well, if that's really part of the story, it's likely a small part--if the Catholic experience is to be believed.    

--Erik

I know, right? After all, the Catholic Church has only owned land in the UK for what? About 1500 years?

A perfect parallel!

2 hours ago, Five Solas said:

I expect most of LDS issues are part of larger secularization moves. It's hitting all religions. ¼ of those raised Christian leave. It's especially affecting the young men. The only ones it's not really affecting are those who have a lot of immigrants. That's helped Catholicism a bit but primarily has been increasing the rates of Islam and Hinduism. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/13/uk-losing-faith-religion-young-reject-parents-beliefs

About the only bright spot is that the rate of secularization appears to have stalled - although that's partially due to immigration and high birthrates among immigrants. 

On 10/22/2017 at 5:25 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

You shouldn't be surprised at rudeness coming from me.  It's my default modus operandi, my stock-in-trade, my very raison d'etre. My motto is, I'm rude, therefore, I am. Erik has enough of a posting history on this Board and its predecessors that he has a very high bar to clear to convince many of us that he is arguing in good faith, that he is sincere, and so on.  Conversely, whether he wants to admit it or not, there is evidence in his long posting history that might provide at least the barest hint of a whisp of a reason to doubt his motives.

To put it bluntly, Erik's "concern" for the Church of Jesus Christ largely is feigned.  He's here to yank the chains of faithful Latter-day Saints, and then to sit back, popcorn in hand, and watch the show.

This is over the top, even by the lofty standard you've put forward, Kenngo. 

;0)

My alias is Five Solas.  Anyone familiar with Protestantism is going to see that & know immediately where I stand.  And I never pretend or "feign" otherwise.  No one on this forum has cause to doubt my sincerity.  

But I am interested in how LDS think, their values, their sense of priority.  There are a lot of LDS in my extended family (both my parents are from Utah, multi-generational LDS, handcart companies, polygamous ancestry--the whole nine yards).  So dialogue on the forum is actually of some use to me.  I haven't made this any secret.  

I waded into this thread because I was intrigued by LDS posters extolling the relatively modest compensation of their leadership--while altogether ignoring a much more significant issue that had been raised.  I wanted to see if I could get anyone to see it from my perspective (and at least one poster, HappyJackWagon, did seem to appreciate my point).  But most did not and several betrayed irritation in their replies (and I'd include you on the short list).  Honestly, I find this fascinating.  If the shoe was on the other foot and someone were pointing out deficiencies in my church's missionary undertakings/church planting--I would never react the way some of you do to me.  So what makes us so different?  Serious question.   

But again, I was never motivated by a desire to see the LDS Church & its theology prosper.  I was simply intrigued that LDS would pay so much attention to a small thing while ignoring or shrugging off a seemingly much greater issue.  And along the way, I got to learn something about the Catholic Church in the UK--and that was as cool as it was unexpected.    

I'll leave you to the last word here, should you wish it.

--Erik

The light reflecting off the mirror ball
looks like a thousand swirling eyes
They make me think I shouldn't be here at all
You know, every minute someone dies

--The Magnetic Fields

If the shoe was on the other foot and someone were pointing out deficiencies in my church's missionary undertakings/church planting--I would never react the way some of you do to me.  So what makes us so different?  Serious question.   

The difference between us (and, honestly, I'm surprised you would even have to ask, since it's so obviously self-evident) is ... [Drum roll, please!] 

I'm a contemptible, reprobate, eeee-vuhl, utterly-reprehensible, utterly-irredeemable excuse for a human being!  :diablo: I once had a pet maggot, but even he found my company so detestable that he preferred death! women, children, and small animals cry out in terror and flee at the very mention of my name!  Even mere weeds refuse to grow within a five-mile radius of my home! 

Today, Mormon Dialogue and Discussion!  Tomorrow ...

THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Cue thunder!]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2017 at 12:11 PM, Five Solas said:

;0)

--Erik

Incidentally, I notice in your new thread, you tried to pretend that this bogus comparison hadn't been addressed. I wonder why that would be?

I guess, to borrow your own expression, that it's only a matter of time before civility pretense must be discarded.

30 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

That pretty much sums it all up, critics are gonna criticize, no matter what.

I agree.  However, I think there’s a difference between being critical and asking questions or even disagreeing at times.  Also, preaching against the church is crossing the line, IMO.