Seriously No Politics ×

Book of Moses Chapter 2, Plants created before the Sun?

11 And I, God, said: Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, the fruit tree yielding fruit, after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed should be in itself upon the earth, and it was so even as I spake.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, every herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed should be in itself, after his kind; and I, God, saw that all things which I had made were good;

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

14 And I, God, said: Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to divide the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and for years;

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth; and it was so.

16 And I, God, made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night, and the greater light was the sun, and the lesser light was the moon; and the stars also were made even according to my word.

17 And I, God, set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And the sun to rule over the day, and the moon to rule over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness; and I, God, saw that all things which I had made were good;

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Since we know the book of Moses to be the word of God (according to the Articles of faith), how would it be possible that the plants and grasses and fruit trees could survive before the Sun was created?

Verse 3 before that says 

3 And I, God, said: Let there be light; and there was light"
So there was some kind of light emanating from God or somewhere that was present before the sun and planets were placed in their positions.
I assume this light would be enough for what the plants needed; assuming they needed it. 

Also what is said in these scriptures need not have been done in the order they are listed. God is simply saying what He did but not really specifying when He did them.

Edited by JAHS
32 minutes ago, snowflake said:

11 And I, God, said: Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, the fruit tree yielding fruit, after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed should be in itself upon the earth, and it was so even as I spake.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, every herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed should be in itself, after his kind; and I, God, saw that all things which I had made were good;

14 And I, God, said: Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to divide the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and for years;

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth; and it was so.

16 And I, God, made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night, and the greater light was the sun, and the lesser light was the moon; and the stars also were made even according to my word.

17 And I, God, set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And the sun to rule over the day, and the moon to rule over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness; and I, God, saw that all things which I had made were good;

Since we know the book of Moses to be the word of God (according to the Articles of faith), how would it be possible that the plants and grasses and fruit trees could survive before the Sun was created?

It's symbolic.  The message is that God is the creator.  We shouldn't try and use our modern understanding of science as a lens through which to understand Hebrew scripture.

39 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Why do you hate the Bible? 

SEE

Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. 6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day. 9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day. 14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
Edited by thesometimesaint
27 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Verse 3 before that says 

3 And I, God, said: Let there be light; and there was light"
So there was some kind of light emanating from God or somewhere that was present before the sun and planets were placed in their positions.
I assume this light would be enough for what the plants needed; assuming they needed it. 

Also what is said in these scriptures need not have been done in the order they are listed. God is simply saying what He did but not really specifying when He did them.

You are correct that on day one God created light, so true I guess they could be living on that light.

God is very specific that plants are on day three, then if you read he states that the sun, moon and the stars all come on day 4....seems specific to me.

16 minutes ago, cdowis said:

The order of creation  in the temple drama is different.  Also, remember that there are two creation events == spiritual before physical, so the order may be different.

I was not aware that the temple drama is different than scripture.....how can I watch the temple drama?

25 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

Why do you hate the Bible? 

SEE

Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. 6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day. 9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day. 14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

Ouch...where do you get the idea that I hate the bible? On the contrary I love the bible, KJV is my favorite! Do you have a response to my question?

3 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Ouch...where do you get the idea that I hate the bible? On the contrary I love the bible, KJV is my favorite! Do you have a response to my question?

The Bible has plants coming before the sun. Why do you hate the Bible? As to your question the LDS do not practice Bibiolatry.

Edited by thesometimesaint
1 hour ago, snowflake said:

Have you ever wondered how God separated the light from the darkness in Genesis 1 before He created the Sun and the Moon?

33 minutes ago, snowflake said:

I was not aware that the temple drama is different than scripture.....how can I watch the temple drama?

Go to the  bishop of the local ward, and he can tell you specifically what you need to do.

Edited by cdowis
26 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

The Bible has plants coming before the sun. Why do you hate the Bible? As to your question the LDS do not practice Bibiolatry.

The Bible, and Book of Moses have plants coming on day 3, followed by sun, moon and stars on day 4.  Lds temple movie has the sun, moon and stars on day 3, plants on day 4, why the contradictions?

Just now, snowflake said:

The Bible, and Book of Moses have plants coming on day 3, followed by sun, moon and stars on day 4.  Lds temple movie has the sun, moon and stars on day 3, plants on day 4, why the contradictions?

Because the whole thing is symbolic.  It's not meant to explain our modern scientific view of the creation.

12 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Have you ever wondered how God separated the light from the darkness in Genesis 1 before He created the Sun and the Moon?

No.  Should I?

I'm still working out if there was death before Adam, but I can put it on the list.

Edited by cdowis
12 minutes ago, snowflake said:

How do you know they are contradictions?  Why not go on the assumption that both are correct, and you may discover an interesting answer.

It worked for me.  

Hint  (It may help to put the word "correct" in quotes)  :ph34r:

Edited by cdowis
9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Absolutely, I have wondered about that for years, your thoughts? Jesus said in John 8: 12 that he was the light of the world.

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Also in Revelation the newly reborn earth will have no need for a sun or moon but will have the glory of God. Rev 21:23

And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Maybe the light on day 1 is from the Glory of the Lamb?

Rev 22:5 states:

And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

1 minute ago, cdowis said:

How do you know they are contradictions?  Why not go on the assumption that both are correct, and you may discover an interesting answer.

It did for me.  :ph34r:

Fair enough, I'm open to suggestions and insight, I agree that things that appear as contradictions can be explained quite often.

15 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Because we don't practice Bibilatry. I go with the assumption that all Scriptures are products of the time in which they are given. Not in any way a scientific treatise. I'm fine with Scripture dealing with the Supernatural world while Science deals with the Natural world. IE; As long as God does it is fine with me, and apparently with the Church. 

22 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Absolutely, I have wondered about that for years, your thoughts? Jesus said in John 8: 12 that he was the light of the world.

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Also in Revelation the newly reborn earth will have no need for a sun or moon but will have the glory of God. Rev 21:23

And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Maybe the light on day 1 is from the Glory of the Lamb?

Rev 22:5 states:

And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

That's pretty much how I handled the problem too.  And it reminds me every time i read it that the creation account in Genesis is not a literal account.  I'm not saying that none of it is literal but it's definitely not all literal.  Parts of it, such as the part about separating light and darkness is symbolic.

34 minutes ago, bluebell said:

That's pretty much how I handled the problem too.  And it reminds me every time i read it that the creation account in Genesis is not a literal account.  I'm not saying that none of it is literal but it's definitely not all literal.  Parts of it, such as the part about separating light and darkness is symbolic.

Do you think that the creation took place in 6 days like Genesis, B O Moses, and Temple ceremony video claim or is that symbolic too? If it was a 6 day creation period, plants appearing on day 3 would be no problem, they can live several days without sunlight.

Kevin, I think that this is part of what we lose in the shifts in the temple presentations over time. In Nauvoo, there seems to have been a part of the garden scene where participants ate fruit (real fruit, handed out). The closer we are to participating in the drama - to becoming part of it ourselves, the more we can see the narrative as metaphor (at least in part). The films moved us away from this, making it seem more documentary (and thus more factual and less metaphorical). How we consume the content sometimes matters more than just a little bit.

44 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Do you think that the creation took place in 6 days like Genesis, B O Moses, and Temple ceremony video claim or is that symbolic too? If it was a 6 day creation period, plants appearing on day 3 would be no problem, they can live several days without sunlight.

The lds church, including the temple video, teaches that the creation took place during 6 creative periods of unknown duration.

So no, I don’t believe the creation happened over six 24-hour periods.