Seriously No Politics ×

Girls can now become Eagle Scouts?

JAHS

Irving, Texas – October 11, 2017 – Today, the Boy Scouts of America Board of Directors unanimously approved to welcome girls into its iconic Cub Scout program and to deliver a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout. The historic decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls, the organization evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders, as well as parents and girls who’ve never been involved in Scouting – to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.

“This decision is true to the BSA’s mission and core values outlined in the Scout Oath and Law. The values of Scouting – trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent, for example – are important for both young men and women,” said Michael Surbaugh, the BSA’s Chief Scout Executive. “We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children. We strive to bring what our organization does best – developing character and leadership for young people – to as many families and youth as possible as we help shape the next generation of leaders.”

The BSA Expands Programs to Welcome Girls from Cub Scouts to Highest Rank of Eagle Scout

Given how much families need to do these days, it makes sense to have the same program to be available to siblings.  

Otoh, I think having male only and female only social groups are important for individuals to explore how they react in different settings and get a chance to grow in weak ones (I usually felt more uncomfortable with girls and since PE was always my worst subject having that as my only female only group would likely have led to more alienation....YW church group helped a bit though teachers who skipped the makeup and fashion classes would have been nice (I was always very small until I hit puberty, then just as I was getting into gymnastics I lost the perfect gymnast body).

IOW, I am ambivalent about the decision.

7 hours ago, JAHS said:

Irving, Texas – October 11, 2017 – Today, the Boy Scouts of America Board of Directors unanimously approved to welcome girls into its iconic Cub Scout program and to deliver a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout. The historic decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls, the organization evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders, as well as parents and girls who’ve never been involved in Scouting – to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.

“This decision is true to the BSA’s mission and core values outlined in the Scout Oath and Law. The values of Scouting – trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent, for example – are important for both young men and women,” said Michael Surbaugh, the BSA’s Chief Scout Executive. “We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children. We strive to bring what our organization does best – developing character and leadership for young people – to as many families and youth as possible as we help shape the next generation of leaders.”

The BSA Expands Programs to Welcome Girls from Cub Scouts to Highest Rank of Eagle Scout

I think it was wise for the LDS Church to affectively pull out of the Boy Scout program for older male youth. I think they saw this coming or knew it was coming. 

I see value in have organizations for youth that are just for girls and those just for boys.  It may be old-fashioned, but I have never seen the world as being unisex and that girls are just like boys and vice-versa.  However much society wants to make everyone be perceived as the same it just isn't reality.  They are different and they do things differently. 

As far as I am concerned I don't care what the BSA does or doesn't do anymore.  If they think they need to be unisex, great.  If not, that is fine too. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 8:04 PM, Darren10 said:

I think it was wise for the LDS Church to affectively pull out of the Boy Scout program for older male youth. I think they saw this coming or knew it was coming. 

Why? This doesn't run counter to any church doctrines. Young women and men meet together for an hour every week in church.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:56 PM, Gray said:

Why? This doesn't run counter to any church doctrines. Young women and men meet together for an hour every week in church.

Because the world is conflating genders as well as sexuality and the Boy Scout program is falling into line with the world. 

5 hours ago, Gray said:

What does that have to do with this?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints places s very high value on gender distinction and on sexuality. Ven in settings where makes and females “intermingle” as you would put it, is there sny question as to who is who genderwise and what sexusly putity is exected by the Church? How about any of its official functions?  

The Boy Scouts was founded on gender distiction and virtue. Thus it created a program just for boys and places emphasis on being “morally chaste”. It is loosing both starting with gender distinction. Sexuality will naturally follow. 

Edited by Darren10
18 hours ago, Darren10 said:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints places s very high value on gender distinction and on sexuality. Ven in settings where makes and females “intermingle” as you would put it, is there sny question as to who is who genderwise and what sexusly putity is exected by the Church? How about any of its official functions?  

The Boy Scouts was founded on gender distiction and virtue. Thus it created a program just for boys and places emphasis on being “morally chaste”. It is loosing both starting with gender distinction. Sexuality will naturally follow. 

They already intermingle in Sunday school and in seminary. "Sexuality" doesn't seem to be following. 

On 11/19/2017 at 11:28 AM, Gray said:

They already intermingle in Sunday school and in seminary. "Sexuality" doesn't seem to be following. 

In the LDS Church there is no question as to who are remale and eho are males and eho does what in the Church. There is no question as to what a family is. Even in the minority of times when there are exceptions as to these distictions, there is no question as to what the Church officially believes. The Boy Scouts taught boys, period. Now they are not. Boys and girls will be treated as “the same”. This will naturally erode the idea of who and what boys and girls are. This will naturally erode as to what a family is. While the LDS Church remains constant on these issues, the Boy Scouts is slipping away from them. 

Edited by Darren10
18 hours ago, Darren10 said:

In the LDS Church there is no question as to who are remale and eho are males and eho does what in the Church. There is no question as to what a family is. Even in the minority of times when there are exceptions as to these distictions, there is no question as to what the Church officially believes. The Boy Scouts taught boys, period. Now they are not. Boys and girls will be treated as “the same”. This eill baturally erode the idea of who and what boys and girls are. This will natirally erode as to what a family is. While the LDS Church remains constant on these issues, the Boy Scouts is slipping away from them. 

Can you show me in an LDS doctrinal source where girls aren't allowed to learn how to tie knots or go camping?

4 minutes ago, Darren10 said:

Not at all what I was getting at. Stay on topic. 

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Boys and girls can't mix because they might have sex? Girls shouldn't go camping? What exactly is your objection?

Edited by Gray

No, boys are boys and have unique features as boys and the Boy Scout program was set up to cater to thrm. As part of that homosexuality was until very recently always frowned upon in the program. This fit perfectly wirh LDS standards. There us no doubt boys have different expectations on life as girls, especially when it comes to leadership. They are to eventually be the head of the house / family. The Boy Scout program had been very much tailored to this end.

The world looks down on patriarchy and in treating boys and girls differently. This has reached a point where boys are no longer essential to family, neither girls. I Don't think It'll be long where the Boy Scouts will adopt language of gender neutrality, further eroding distinction between boys and girls. Neither are essential to society as they are both the same.  

2 minutes ago, Darren10 said:

No, boys are boys and have unique features as boys and the Boy Scout program was set up to cater to thrm. As part of that homosexuality was until very recently always frowned upon in the program. This fit perfectly wirh LDS standards. There us no doubt boys have different expectations on life as girls, especially when it comes to leadership. They are to eventually be the head of the house / family. The Boy Scout program had been very much tailored to this end.

The world looks down on patriarchy and in treating boys and girls differently. This has reached a point where boys are no longer essential to family, neither girls. I Don't think It'll be long where the Boy Scouts will adopt language of gender neutrality, further eroding distinction between boys and girls. Neither are essential to society as they are both the same.  

So which part of the Boy Scout program is unsuitable for girls, in a way that erodes gender distinctions? Knots? Survival skills? Setting up tents? Campfires? You know girls do all those things in Church activities already, right?

Are you afraid that letting girls into Boy Scouts will make them think that they're not subordinate to the boys? That's kind of what I'm getting from your pro-patriarchy statements.

M

On 11/20/2017 at 11:14 AM, Gray said:

So which part of the Boy Scout program is unsuitable for girls, in a way that erodes gender distinctions? Knots? Survival skills? Setting up tents? Campfires? You know girls do all those things in Church activities already, right?

Are you afraid that letting girls into Boy Scouts will make them think that they're not subordinate to the boys? That's kind of what I'm getting from your pro-patriarchy statements.

Stay on topic Gray. I'm fine with girls participating in every single activity you described. In fact, the more the better but the outdoorsy activities were never brought up by me. 

"Are you afraid that letting girls into Boy Scouts will make them think that they're not subordinate to the boys?"

Bwahahahaha! Yes Gray, I fear girls not subordinating to boys. You got me. Will all females on this board please call in line behind me.

/sarcasm off

I think your post is exactly the very thing I oppose. That even mentioning boys are unique to girls and are to be leaders in the home means to demean girls and thus should not be even mentioned, which us exactly where the Boy Scouts are heading. This despite them *never* demeaning girls in its history so far as I know. 

"That's kind of what I'm getting from your pro-patriarchy statements."

See, being 'pro-patriarch' has become vile. Watch the Boy Scouts fall in line. 

Edited by Darren10

M

Stay on topic Gray. I'm fibe with girls participate in every single activity you described. In fact, the more the better but the outdoirsy activities were never brought up by me. 

"Are you afraid that letting girls into Boy Scouts will make them think that they're not subordinate to the boys?"

Bwahahahaha! Yes Gray, I fear girls not subordinating to boys. You got me. Will all females on this board please call in line behind me.

/sarcasm off

You know that the point of patriarchy is that it holds women as subordinate to men, right?

I think your post is exactly the very thing I oppose. That even mentioning boys are unique to girls and are to be leaders in the home means to demean girls and thus should not be even mentioned, which us exactly where the Boy Scouts are heading. This despite them *never* demeaning girls in its history so far as I know. 

Okay, what parts of the Boy Scout program play to boys' uniqueness?

"That's kind of what I'm getting from your pro-patriarchy statements."

See, being 'pro-patriarch" has become vile. 

Patriarchy is sin.  God is no respecter of persons.