Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

Girls can now become Eagle Scouts?

Irving, Texas – October 11, 2017 – Today, the Boy Scouts of America Board of Directors unanimously approved to welcome girls into its iconic Cub Scout program and to deliver a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout. The historic decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls, the organization evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders, as well as parents and girls who’ve never been involved in Scouting – to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.

“This decision is true to the BSA’s mission and core values outlined in the Scout Oath and Law. The values of Scouting – trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent, for example – are important for both young men and women,” said Michael Surbaugh, the BSA’s Chief Scout Executive. “We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children. We strive to bring what our organization does best – developing character and leadership for young people – to as many families and youth as possible as we help shape the next generation of leaders.”

The BSA Expands Programs to Welcome Girls from Cub Scouts to Highest Rank of Eagle Scout

Given how much families need to do these days, it makes sense to have the same program to be available to siblings.  

Otoh, I think having male only and female only social groups are important for individuals to explore how they react in different settings and get a chance to grow in weak ones (I usually felt more uncomfortable with girls and since PE was always my worst subject having that as my only female only group would likely have led to more alienation....YW church group helped a bit though teachers who skipped the makeup and fashion classes would have been nice (I was always very small until I hit puberty, then just as I was getting into gymnastics I lost the perfect gymnast body).

IOW, I am ambivalent about the decision.

Is this finally going to mark the total end to the Churches involvement with BSA?

15 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Edited by mnn727

7 hours ago, JAHS said:

Irving, Texas – October 11, 2017 – Today, the Boy Scouts of America Board of Directors unanimously approved to welcome girls into its iconic Cub Scout program and to deliver a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout. The historic decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls, the organization evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders, as well as parents and girls who’ve never been involved in Scouting – to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.

“This decision is true to the BSA’s mission and core values outlined in the Scout Oath and Law. The values of Scouting – trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent, for example – are important for both young men and women,” said Michael Surbaugh, the BSA’s Chief Scout Executive. “We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children. We strive to bring what our organization does best – developing character and leadership for young people – to as many families and youth as possible as we help shape the next generation of leaders.”

The BSA Expands Programs to Welcome Girls from Cub Scouts to Highest Rank of Eagle Scout

I think it was wise for the LDS Church to affectively pull out of the Boy Scout program for older male youth. I think they saw this coming or knew it was coming. 

I really have no angst about this. It could prove problematic for the church though if it the BSA were to require all troops to adhere to the policy.

1 hour ago, Glenn101 said:

I really have no angst about this. It could prove problematic for the church though if it the BSA were to require all troops to adhere to the policy.

It will change the character of larger scout camps but it is unlikely to be required of the LDS troops. I still hope we leave anyways. At this point the BSA seems to me to be more trouble then it is worth.

I see value in have organizations for youth that are just for girls and those just for boys.  It may be old-fashioned, but I have never seen the world as being unisex and that girls are just like boys and vice-versa.  However much society wants to make everyone be perceived as the same it just isn't reality.  They are different and they do things differently. 

As far as I am concerned I don't care what the BSA does or doesn't do anymore.  If they think they need to be unisex, great.  If not, that is fine too. 

Sign in to follow this