Seriously No Politics ×

Home and Visiting teaching amount?

Duncan

On 10/12/2017 at 3:32 PM, mnn727 said:

I currently have 3 and since they all demand different days for visits, its about all I would like to have. 4 is the maximum I would assign.

In one ward, due to lack of active Priesthood, I had 7 and that was more than I could schedule or handle (and in a couple cases, even find), I never had 100% then. As much as we'd all like to be perfect in H.T., we all have lives too. In that same ward with the next EQ Presidency they removed all the inactives from the HT list and (with Bishops and Mission Presidents approval) gave the inactive list to the full time missionaries to contact, find, and if found try to re-activate. Makes a whole lot of sense to me to do it that way.

Personally I would go for quality visits and not making numbers, but that's me.

Been in a branch with the opposite. We took off all the active members and went after the lost sheep. 

It depends on the units needs I suppose

On 10/10/2017 at 8:59 PM, Duncan said:

I just got called to the EQP, I know don't be jealous.................. so I am tweeking the home teaching list. How many people do you visit, either for home and visiting teaching? The elders are assigned to go with the brethren to visit less active, part member families and prospective elders. So  far I have companionships assigned to 4 families, is that too many? I tried to get people to not travel that far and hopefully that is the case

This doesn't answer your question, but I just thought I'd comment.

In my new ward in England I got assigned to visit an elderly sister in an assisted living facility. My companion and I traveled there and besides visiting the sister we administered the Sacrament to her. It was quite a nice experience and she was very grateful for the visit. Later, my wife told me that the RS president had stopped by to visit the sister, and she was all aflutter over having been visited by a General Authority! It turns out that her eyesight isn't all that good these days, and though I'm pretty sure I don't look much like him, she mistook me for Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Q12! You know, American accent, glasses, name sounds a little like "Cook" if your hearing isn't all that good.  The RS president didn't disabuse her of the notion that she had been visited by Elder Cook, since the sister was quite uplifted by the idea and she didn't want to make her feel silly. After hearing about this, I felt like I didn't dare visit her again -- I don't think impersonating a member of the Quorum of the Twelve is quite in my skillset. Unfortunately, I had to return to the US to apply for permanent residence in the UK, and so the problem has become moot. But it's probably the most use I've been to a home-teachee in many years!

On 10/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, poptart said:

Huh, ok.  Like I said I never stuck around when my ex's home teachers came around.  Kinda figured they would not care for me as a non member anyway.

Well, you might be wrong about that. If they had known you were a non-member, likely as not they'd probably have asked the missionaries to home teach your ex, or at least help HT her. 

If I were home teaching a member who had a live-in non-member BF or GF, or for that matter, non-member spouse, I'd definitely try to connect with the non-member, if possible. That's me, of course. Other HTs might react differently.  There's no policy in place, after all (to the best of my knowledge anyway). When all is said and done, the significant other is part of the family, regardless of membership status.  In the ward in which I have lived the longest, all our non-member spouses were treated as if they were members to the best extent we could. 

On 10/10/2017 at 10:36 PM, strappinglad said:

I've probably said this before, but here is an idea that I have been trying to get the Brethren to adopt. Take 2 men. Make them the home teacher of each other. That way, when they meet, it can be counted as a visit. Home teaching numbers should go WAY up! No?

Ha ha, that's one way to do it.

On the other hand, if neither one of you is visiting with the other family members, and only with the priesthood holder, it kind of defeats the purpose of home teaching, wouldn't it?  Maybe numbers go up (slightly), but it isn't the numbers that are important.  Home Teaching is supposed to support the entire family.

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Ha ha, that's one way to do it.

On the other hand, if neither one of you is visiting with the other family members, and only with the priesthood holder, it kind of defeats the purpose of home teaching, wouldn't it?  Maybe numbers go up (slightly), but it isn't the numbers that are important.  Home Teaching is supposed to support the entire family.

Here's the thing. Once a month you have family home evening as 2 families together, that way you not only get the home teaching done, you encourage home evenings too. Efficient right?

11 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Here's the thing. Once a month you have family home evening as 2 families together, that way you not only get the home teaching done, you encourage home evenings too. Efficient right?

I love it!

On 10/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, poptart said:

Huh, ok.  Like I said I never stuck around when my ex's home teachers came around.  Kinda figured they would not care for me as a non member anyway.

I actually was specifically asked to visit a nonmember whose husband was a member. I quite enjoyed getting to know her better. She had never had visiting teachers before so I explained what we are, how we give a message etc. Then explained what the message was generally about and let her know I would be respectful of anything she didn't want in her home . She appreciated it and said she would like the message. 

I have since offered that to several others who weren't members.  None took us up on the offer, but appeciated it.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:30 PM, Stargazer said:

This doesn't answer your question, but I just thought I'd comment.

In my new ward in England I got assigned to visit an elderly sister in an assisted living facility. My companion and I traveled there and besides visiting the sister we administered the Sacrament to her. It was quite a nice experience and she was very grateful for the visit. Later, my wife told me that the RS president had stopped by to visit the sister, and she was all aflutter over having been visited by a General Authority! It turns out that her eyesight isn't all that good these days, and though I'm pretty sure I don't look much like him, she mistook me for Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Q12! You know, American accent, glasses, name sounds a little like "Cook" if your hearing isn't all that good.  The RS president didn't disabuse her of the notion that she had been visited by Elder Cook, since the sister was quite uplifted by the idea and she didn't want to make her feel silly. After hearing about this, I felt like I didn't dare visit her again -- I don't think impersonating a member of the Quorum of the Twelve is quite in my skillset. Unfortunately, I had to return to the US to apply for permanent residence in the UK, and so the problem has become moot. But it's probably the most use I've been to a home-teachee in many years!

Thats a story you will be able to tell your kids and grandkids. 

On 10/12/2017 at 9:51 PM, poptart said:

I've had part member families at times, where both sat in on  the lesson, one of them comes to church occasionally (once or twice a year) Another man who wasn't a member sat in on HT visits with his wife when the HT's came. This went on for about 30 years -- we baptized him earlier this year. as of next month he'll be my new companion.

2 hours ago, mnn727 said:

I've had part member families at times, where both sat in on  the lesson, one of them comes to church occasionally (once or twice a year) Another man who wasn't a member sat in on HT visits with his wife when the HT's came. This went on for about 30 years -- we baptized him earlier this year. as of next month he'll be my new companion.

Huh, 30 years?  Long term investigator?  You know, whenever I've known of people to convert its usually because they have an LDS spouse.  Have to admit, having access to their families, resources as well as morally sound/reliable people would be very convincing. 

3 hours ago, mnn727 said:

What's the craziest non member you've ever run into?  If I had an LDS partner i;d be bugging you about prepping, food storage as well as ammo.  The LDS I knew in WA were into all those things so I'd be all ears.