Seriously No Politics ×

Home and Visiting teaching amount?

Duncan

I just got called to the EQP, I know don't be jealous.................. so I am tweeking the home teaching list. How many people do you visit, either for home and visiting teaching? The elders are assigned to go with the brethren to visit less active, part member families and prospective elders. So  far I have companionships assigned to 4 families, is that too many? I tried to get people to not travel that far and hopefully that is the case

Four is a good number. It should not be burdensome to most sets of companions. I hope that you can encourage the members of your quorum to become effective and faithful home teachers. It really does make a difference, a tremendous difference when done faithfully.

Glenn

Four may be too many and it may be just fine. Two things to keep in mind. The available time of the teacher and the needs of the teachee. 

My husband and son teach a man who really needs to talk. He has offended most of the men in the ward, but my husband let's things roll off his back. He also has called more than a few times for blessings, sometimes in the middle of the night and has asked for other help. This is fine. Sometimes people have more needs. 

My husband though often travels for work and is getting his masters degree while working a job that is intense at the moment. His calling is in the YM presidency. 

So for him one home teachee is the right amount at the moment. In other times, with other people and different responsibilities more was not a problem. 

Four is probably o.k.  I think three is kind of the magic number but that's not always possible.  

When I was in North Dakota we had women with 5 or 6 on their VT route because we had way more less active than active sisters.  And some of them had to travel upwards of 45 miles to visit everyone. It was tough, but there weren't many options.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Four is probably o.k.  I think three is kind of the magic number but that's not always possible.  

When I was in North Dakota we had women with 5 or 6 on their VT route because we had way more less active than active sisters.  And some of them had to travel upwards of 45 miles to visit everyone. It was tough, but there weren't many options.

that's the issue, infinite need, finite resources but yeah you don't want to burn people out

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

that's the issue, infinite need, finite resources but yeah you don't want to burn people out

One of the things we did was to hand out a survey just asking the sisters what kind of VT load they personally thought they could carry (and whether or not they wanted to keep the people they were currently assigned to).  That gave us a way to judge who could handle a heavier route and who couldn't.  

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

One of the things we did was to hand out a survey just asking the sisters what kind of VT load they personally thought they could carry (and whether or not they wanted to keep the people they were currently assigned to).  That gave us a way to judge who could handle a heavier route and who couldn't.  

that is wisdom!

9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This is why one day we'll hear , "And now we'll be privileged to hear from Sister Bluebell, Relief Society General President and she will be followed by Elder Mario J. Hoofluntz of the Seventy after which the Choir will sing the Dentists Hymn, Crown him with many Crowns"

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

This is why one day we'll hear , "And now we'll be privileged to hear from Sister Bluebell, Relief Society General President and she will be followed by Elder Mario J. Hoofluntz of the Seventy after which the Choir will sing the Dentists Hymn, Crown him with many Crowns"

:lol:

16 hours ago, Duncan said:

I just got called to the EQP, I know don't be jealous.................. so I am tweeking the home teaching list. How many people do you visit, either for home and visiting teaching? The elders are assigned to go with the brethren to visit less active, part member families and prospective elders. So  far I have companionships assigned to 4 families, is that too many? I tried to get people to not travel that far and hopefully that is the case

My current ward I only have two assignments. I've been in a ward with up to five. It largely depends how active the quorum is.

Ive always thought its good to assignments companionships with active and less actives. Emphasing the point to reach out to the lost sheep. But it largely depends on the needs of the ward. That's why the eqp has the keys

4 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

My current ward I only have two assignments. I've been in a ward with up to five. It largely depends how active the quorum is.

Ive always thought its good to assignments companionships with active and less actives. Emphasing the point to reach out to the lost sheep. But it largely depends on the needs of the ward. That's why the eqp has the keys

too true, thank you!!! I didn't want to burden people with a huge amount, so small and steady wins the race^_^

I currently have 3 and since they all demand different days for visits, its about all I would like to have. 4 is the maximum I would assign.

In one ward, due to lack of active Priesthood, I had 7 and that was more than I could schedule or handle (and in a couple cases, even find), I never had 100% then. As much as we'd all like to be perfect in H.T., we all have lives too. In that same ward with the next EQ Presidency they removed all the inactives from the HT list and (with Bishops and Mission Presidents approval) gave the inactive list to the full time missionaries to contact, find, and if found try to re-activate. Makes a whole lot of sense to me to do it that way.

Personally I would go for quality visits and not making numbers, but that's me.

40 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

I currently have 3 and since they all demand different days for visits, its about all I would like to have. 4 is the maximum I would assign.

In one ward, due to lack of active Priesthood, I had 7 and that was more than I could schedule or handle (and in a couple cases, even find), I never had 100% then. As much as we'd all like to be perfect in H.T., we all have lives too. In that same ward with the next EQ Presidency they removed all the inactives from the HT list and (with Bishops and Mission Presidents approval) gave the inactive list to the full time missionaries to contact, find, and if found try to re-activate. Makes a whole lot of sense to me to do it that way.

Personally I would go for quality visits and not making numbers, but that's me.

we kind of do that, I gave them 3 active famileis and one inactive, part member or prospective elder and for those the Elders go with them

On 10/10/2017 at 9:59 PM, Duncan said:

How does it work with partial member families?  When I was dating an lds girl a long time ago I was a mentally unstable 19 year old who just hid until they went away.  That or just got high and wandered off.  She was in the Asian ward too so the focus wasn't quite the same I thought.

51 minutes ago, poptart said:

How does it work with partial member families?  When I was dating an lds girl a long time ago I was a mentally unstable 19 year old who just hid until they went away.  That or just got high and wandered off.  She was in the Asian ward too so the focus wasn't quite the same I thought.

so the elders and one of the men in the ward visit a part member family, i.e. a non member wife or husband with a member spouse

On 10/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, bluebell said:

This is a great idea...wish I had done this with the presidency.

44 minutes ago, poptart said:

Huh, how does that work exactly?

the missionaries and one brother assigned to HT a part member family, less active or prospective elder go out and visit them

Edited by Duncan
11 minutes ago, poptart said:

Huh, how would the likes of me be treated? 

you would be home taught regardless of where you fit, if you aren't a part member, less active or prospective the elders here wouldn't be helping HT you

7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

you would be home taught regardless of where you fit, if you aren't a part member, less active or prospective the elders here wouldn't be helping HT you

Huh, ok.  Like I said I never stuck around when my ex's home teachers came around.  Kinda figured they would not care for me as a non member anyway.

1 minute ago, poptart said:

Huh, ok.  Like I said I never stuck around when my ex's home teachers came around.  Kinda figured they would not care for me as a non member anyway.

well, if you aren't a member then you wouldn't be home taught!