Seriously No Politics ×

All Hail the Mods!

Stargazer

While reading that now-closed thread here in the Social Hall in which Jeanne was complaining about an inexplicable thread ban ("I Agree"), and seeing a mod's interjections, I was struck by a thought.  I hope I'm not going to get struck by lightning or something, but here goes...

The board is a simulation of earth life. We posters are all mortals in this simulation. Nemesis is the apparent "god of this board" -- the Creator, or Supreme Mod, if you will -- and the rest of the mods, such as Ares, are angels.  Sometimes angels of death, with power to ban!  We don't actually know how many other angels there are, but we know some of their names, Hestia being one.  These named angels are the archangels.  There may be many unnamed angels, but we don't know, as they may typically do their work without identifying themselves -- those interjections in red are usually not signed, so whether they are done by Nemesis, some other Mod, or a lesser mod, we don't know.  There are no prophets in this simulation (messengers of the mods), at least no acknowledged prophets, unless the rumor is true that Juliann is secretly one such!

Like in Real Life, sometimes the "god of this board", either personally or through his angels, bans posters, sends inexplicable messages to knock it off. There is even a resurrection, where a formerly banned poster gets restored to life! And healings, where Limited posters get back their full privileges! And soon thereafter lose them, having screwed up once again.

I wonder if the simulation is so realistic that if one is faithful long enough one gets to become a mod him or herself?  We will probably never know, since all such promotees (if they exist) would clearly be enjoined to keep shut up about it.

OK, that's my thought! Hope you got a chuckle over it!

All Hail the Mods!

I'll bite.  Um..we can't repent unless we know the reasons why we have sinned.  That is all we want to know.  A little kindness would help.  That all being said..you guys have a tough job...this is a tough planet here you're in charge of...seen your job and I don't want it.  Thanks for doing what you do.  I don't have favorites...:)

I wonder if we knew the world was about to end if we would get to know the real mods. Or should we call them the Mod Squad? ;)  Of course maybe none of the mods even knew there was a series called "The Mod Squad" on t.v. because it was before their time.

And good point Stargazer, how do we know if it's a moderator or a regular poster just typing in red? Mods?

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Skylla said:

Who is your favorite moderator?  Keep in mind my finger is hovering over the ban button.

Skylla

I believe I shall avoid testing fate, and claim that I love all the Mods equally, except obviously Nemesis, who stands supreme! 

7 minutes ago, rpn said:

Actually we cannot sin unless we know the law.  Fundamental eternal due process.  

Right...and those who do not understand the law..with a desire to know..should be judged according to their knowledge. 

1 hour ago, Darren10 said:

There have been several times I stand confused as to which rules are enforced and which are not. I too would like feedback but this is the admin’s board to run, not mine. 

Once upon a time I ran a board (for a sci-fi novel series) and it got quite busy sometimes. Wouldn't want to do that again! Unless it was for my own (as yet non-existent) novels.

6 hours ago, Skylla said:

Who is your favorite moderator?  Keep in mind my finger is hovering over the ban button.

Skylla

That is easy for me, I love you all equally, and pray for you equally...is this answere working? If not I'll come up with a better response. :)  

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Once upon a time I ran a board (for a sci-fi novel series) and it got quite busy sometimes. Wouldn't want to do that again! Unless it was for my own (as yet non-existent) novels.

I was an admin / front page poster for a website hosted by a popular local talkshow DJ, now a nationally known co-host, and I agree, it can get busy and I’m sure yours was a lot more busy than mine. But I did always let people know why they were in trouble when I had to deal with them. 

30 minutes ago, Calm said:

I also did on ZLMB and it ended up being pretty much a full time and hated job.  Got some death threats  even.

Getting death threats is when it gets fun. One time the death threat turned out to be from a 13 year old pretending to be an adult terrorist on our website. I hope he got a good whoopin' by momma.

17 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I wonder if we knew the world was about to end if we would get to know the real mods. Or should we call them the Mod Squad? ;)  Of course maybe none of the mods even knew there was a series called "The Mod Squad" on t.v. because it was before their time.

And good point Stargazer, how do we know if it's a moderator or a regular poster just typing in red? Mods?

It seems like one obvious way is that regular posters don't have the ability to edit other people's posts and tack on stuff at the end, like the mods usually do.  Also, when a mod posts, it comes up under the screen name, right?  I don't know how a regular poster would manage that.

13 hours ago, Calm said:

I also did on ZLMB and it ended up being pretty much a full time and hated job.  Got some death threats  even.

So sad, I picked up a number of stalkers from the "board that shall not be named". Thanks to the mods, they are quick identified and banned. I seldom visit this website anymore, so they have backed off. Which I guess was their goal. God bless the mods, it is far too often a thankless job. 

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

It seems like one obvious way is that regular posters don't have the ability to edit other people's posts and tack on stuff at the end, like the mods usually do.  Also, when a mod posts, it comes up under the screen name, right?  I don't know how a regular poster would manage that. Testing! 

You're right!

6 hours ago, bluebell said:

It seems like one obvious way is that regular posters don't have the ability to edit other people's posts and tack on stuff at the end, like the mods usually do.  Also, when a mod posts, it comes up under the screen name, right?  I don't know how a regular poster would manage that.

My memory says it used to show it when a moderator edited, but it doesn't now, but I could be wrong.  I may try and find a recent one to check.

I think on a few occasions in the past posters have made obvious jokes pretending mods posted in their posts by using red, but it would be very easy to get in trouble if one were to do it for some other reason (to play victim is all I can think of).

add-on:  it doesn't show it, in fact it doesn't even show it was edited...mods apparently now operate on stealth mode.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/69684-i-agree/?do=findComment&comment=1209762569

Edited by Calm
On 10/7/2017 at 11:16 AM, Skylla said:

Skylla

I denounce you as the false demiurge and will only pray to Nemesis our only true and living mod, blessed be his threadbanning.

Banned forever. 

Sincerely,
Juliann. No! Scott Lloyd. I mean, Skylla.

Edited by Skylla
The Nehor makes me angry
9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I denounce you as the false demiurge and will only pray to Nemesis our only true and living mod, blessed be his threadbanning.

Banned forever. 

Sincerely,
Juliann. No! Scott Lloyd. I mean, Skylla.

Fear my wrath!
Skylla