Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

Church makes major famine-relief donation

Recommended Posts

"The Church is providing an additional $11 million in assistance for famine victims in eight countries in Africa and the Middle East.
The aid announcement was made Wednesday, Sept. 27, after the donation was approved by the First Presidency to provide assistance to areas of the world experiencing drought, civil conflict, disease and other challenges, according to a Mormon Newsroom release.
LDS Charities, the humanitarian arm of the Church, is partnering with 11 global relief organizations to support 25 projects in Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan, Yemen, Niger, Kenya, Uganda and DR Congo.

"During our recent visits to Africa, we have seen firsthand the importance of helping to meet the needs of our brothers and sisters who face great challenges and difficult circumstances,” said Bishop Gérald Caussé, Presiding Bishop of the Church. “Contributions from our faithful members provide funding for food, shelter, clean water, medical care and other life-sustaining supplies for more than a million people — including severely malnourished children."

The Church’s donation of cash and commodities will benefit more than 1.1 million people for up to a year, the release said.

LDS Charities is partnering with key nongovernmental and faith-based organizations, including CARE International, Catholic Relief Services, Convoy of Hope, International Rescue Committee, Islamic Relief USA, Rahma Relief, Real Medicine Foundation, Save the Children, UNICEF USA, USA for UNHCR and the World Food Programme.

"What a wonderful opportunity we have to give of our substance to those who are suffering, to lighten their burdens and let them know that we care. And how grateful we are for partners of like mind who help us serve those in places we cannot reach on our own," said Sister Jean B. Bingham, Relief Society general president."

Church makes major famine-relief donation

This is a significant and much needed donation. I hope to see more like this in the future. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, JAHS said:

"The Church is providing an additional $11 million in assistance for famine victims in eight countries in Africa and the Middle East.
The aid announcement was made Wednesday, Sept. 27, after the donation was approved by the First Presidency to provide assistance to areas of the world experiencing drought, civil conflict, disease and other challenges, according to a Mormon Newsroom release.
LDS Charities, the humanitarian arm of the Church, is partnering with 11 global relief organizations to support 25 projects in Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan, Yemen, Niger, Kenya, Uganda and DR Congo.

"During our recent visits to Africa, we have seen firsthand the importance of helping to meet the needs of our brothers and sisters who face great challenges and difficult circumstances,” said Bishop Gérald Caussé, Presiding Bishop of the Church. “Contributions from our faithful members provide funding for food, shelter, clean water, medical care and other life-sustaining supplies for more than a million people — including severely malnourished children."

The Church’s donation of cash and commodities will benefit more than 1.1 million people for up to a year, the release said.

LDS Charities is partnering with key nongovernmental and faith-based organizations, including CARE International, Catholic Relief Services, Convoy of Hope, International Rescue Committee, Islamic Relief USA, Rahma Relief, Real Medicine Foundation, Save the Children, UNICEF USA, USA for UNHCR and the World Food Programme.

"What a wonderful opportunity we have to give of our substance to those who are suffering, to lighten their burdens and let them know that we care. And how grateful we are for partners of like mind who help us serve those in places we cannot reach on our own," said Sister Jean B. Bingham, Relief Society general president."

Church makes major famine-relief donation

This is a significant and much needed donation. I hope to see more like this in the future. 

Me too, hopefully the church will give from it's billions. 

Share this post


Link to post

And the snide comments begin in the second post. It is a good thing we are not doing this for PR reasons.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Me too, hopefully the church will give from it's billions. 

It does and continues too. Already from it's abundance, it helps weekly with those fallen upon hard times, be it short term or long term. Each time, in fashion fast than FEMA (many times) it sends millions of dollars of supplies to those hard hit by hurricanes, floods and other natural disasters. The Island of Puerto Rico, will no doubt receive millions if not approaching a billion before all is said and done. This is what an "Organized Faith" and "people" can do, for those who are in need. It can provide for the temporal, and Spiritual welfare of those in and out of the Church, and "will" do so despite others comparing "millions, to billions". It can do so because of it's fiscal holdings, it's attention to the "law of the harvest". These "billions" make all of this possible, in fact in this latest disaster, it will literal save the lives of some today, and countless generations to come. It will allow the Church to serve as Jesus Christ commands, and as a Hebrew proverb says, "...he that saves a life, saves the world..." (Too paraphrase) It makes me very sad for so many to make such compassions, when no matter what is given, it should be more, or does not compare because of wealth. It makes me even more saddened when it comes from those who have benefited as members, and still see the need to pile on and draw such comparisons. Much of the time, the Church goes quietly about their business, and no one knows what they are doing. During my years either as a Ward Clerk, or as a member of both Branch Presidencys, and Bishoprics, there were many Sunday's where the amount of checks to assist other with rent, power, gas bills, car payments, and food orders amounted to more than Fast Offerings and Tithing combined. I, like so many others give of our "time, talents and efforts" to aid an enrich the lives of others, because of what we believe, and what we believe that our Father in Heaven commands, and his Son Jesus Christ taught us by example. 

We as a Church do these things collectively, and these things are made possible because we work in concert, one with another. Few fail to understand that when such criticisms are made, that when speak of "The Church", they and we for that matter are speaking of ourselves. Therefore such comments are a direct criticism of the very posters on this and other websites about our Faith, and the practice of our Faith. Comments that can easily be found among our many critics, scattered throughout cyberspace, but one would hope not among our friends. "Our Church" (My Church) is a wonderful organization, filled with wonderful people, who are simply living out our beliefs, caring for those we love, and for those we do not even know. I have used my skill sets, my time, my money, and my love, to help in many different disasters, as have so many others I have known, and so many others I met for only hours or days doing the same work. Again, "We" are the Church, we are who is being criticized with such remarks, not some distant and cold institution in some ivory tower, it is our efforts and income, given out of love, and a desire to obey God's commands. Trying to live out the hymn we sing so very often in Sacrament meetings almost without fail somewhere in a Ward, every Sunday. "Because I have been given much, I too must give". It is not just the words of a song, it is a creed that we all struggle to live, and live it we will, no matter the endless posts or threads, about how it is too little. Sorry, don't mean to get emotional, and this is not directed and you. For the first time in my membership in the Church, I am unable to answer the "call to serve", as physical restraints make it impossible. But what I can do, is give, and defend the charitable actions of a Church and People that I love unconditionally.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

It does and continues too. Already from it's abundance, it helps weekly with those fallen upon hard times, be it short term or long term. Each time, in fashion fast than FEMA (many times) it sends millions of dollars of supplies to those hard hit by hurricanes, floods and other natural disasters. The Island of Puerto Rico, will no doubt receive millions if not approaching a billion before all is said and done. This is what an "Organized Faith" and "people" can do, for those who are in need. It can provide for the temporal, and Spiritual welfare of those in and out of the Church, and "will" do so despite others comparing "millions, to billions". It can do so because of it's fiscal holdings, it's attention to the "law of the harvest". These "billions" make all of this possible, in fact in this latest disaster, it will literal save the lives of some today, and countless generations to come. It will allow the Church to serve as Jesus Christ commands, and as a Hebrew proverb says, "...he that saves a life, saves the world..." (Too paraphrase) It makes me very sad for so many to make such compassions, when no matter what is given, it should be more, or does not compare because of wealth. It makes me even more saddened when it comes from those who have benefited as members, and still see the need to pile on and draw such comparisons. Much of the time, the Church goes quietly about their business, and no one knows what they are doing. During my years either as a Ward Clerk, or as a member of both Branch Presidencys, and Bishoprics, there were many Sunday's where the amount of checks to assist other with rent, power, gas bills, car payments, and food orders amounted to more than Fast Offerings and Tithing combined. I, like so many others give of our "time, talents and efforts" to aid an enrich the lives of others, because of what we believe, and what we believe that our Father in Heaven commands, and his Son Jesus Christ taught us by example. 

We as a Church do these things collectively, and these things are made possible because we work in concert, one with another. Few fail to understand that when such criticisms are made, that when speak of "The Church", they and we for that matter are speaking of ourselves. Therefore such comments are a direct criticism of the very posters on this and other websites about our Faith, and the practice of our Faith. Comments that can easily be found among our many critics, scattered throughout cyberspace, but one would hope not among our friends. "Our Church" (My Church) is a wonderful organization, filled with wonderful people, who are simply living out our beliefs, caring for those we love, and for those we do not even know. I have used my skill sets, my time, my money, and my love, to help in many different disasters, as have so many others I have known, and so many others I met for only hours or days doing the same work. Again, "We" are the Church, we are who is being criticized with such remarks, not some distant and cold institution in some ivory tower, it is our efforts and income, given out of love, and a desire to obey God's commands. Trying to live out the hymn we sing so very often in Sacrament meetings almost without fail somewhere in a Ward, every Sunday. "Because I have been given much, I too must give". It is not just the words of a song, it is a creed that we all struggle to live, and live it we will, no matter the endless posts or threads, about how it is too little. Sorry, don't mean to get emotional, and this is not directed and you. For the first time in my membership in the Church, I am unable to answer the "call to serve", as physical restraints make it impossible. But what I can do, is give, and defend the charitable actions of a Church and People that I love unconditionally.  

I read recently from Michael Quinn's book about the church's finances, that he estimated the church earns more than the estimated 5 billion a year than what has been stated before. I'm on my lunch break so I might have to give more info about this later. I guess that fueled my response earlier. But sure am glad we have the church that is on such solid ground to help out. 

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...