Seriously No Politics ×

Lex de Azevedo Interview

3 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Thanks for that. I'm laid up right now with a hernia surgery so had time to listen to this. Since I first heard some of Lex's stuff, I have been fascinated with this man, and listening to the power of his testimony brought tears to my eyes. I also had a few good laughs - which I don't highly recommend when you aren't on any pain killers and just had a hernia surgery! If someone wants to get a good feel for this man, start listening here: https://youtu.be/fd8sIjKa2-A?t=45m00s

That’s a great part. 

I also like the part toward the end of Part 2 when he begins bearing his testimony.  Beautiful. 

I was intently listening and soon lost some respect when he mentions leaving his wife. I looked on FB, yes I'm one of those stalker types, and saw his current wife and his ex wife. I just don't get a vibe that I like about him. It seems he is pretty shallow, but that's just me. And likes to promote himself. Maybe I'm being too harsh. And I should love my neighbor, but was disappointed in him. ETA: But not knowing him personally I should probably abstain from judging, or shouldn't judge at all. 

Edited by Tacenda

One of the things that jumped out at me is his experience growing up as a child of LDS celebrities.  For those that don't know he was a son of one of the King Sisters.  Though the family was LDS they were very secular and openly drank and hosted celebrity parties in their Hollywood home.  His descriptions of their life reminds me of my parents and grandparents stories about growing up Mormon in the early-mid 20th century.  

My grandfather was a bishop and stake president who drank coffee his whole life and had a glass of wine with his dinner every night.  The impression I get from people growing up in this era was much less shaming of people over the small details of their life.  

Phaedrus 

On 9/29/2017 at 9:42 AM, Tacenda said:

I was intently listening and soon lost some respect when he mentions leaving his wife. I looked on FB, yes I'm one of those stalker types, and saw his current wife and his ex wife. I just don't get a vibe that I like about him. It seems he is pretty shallow, but that's just me. And likes to promote himself. Maybe I'm being too harsh. And I should love my neighbor, but was disappointed in him. ETA: But not knowing him personally I should probably abstain from judging, or shouldn't judge at all. 

I detected some regret from him in regards to the failure of his first marriage. I also noticed that he almost never refers to her as his ex-wife, but seems to still regard her as his wife in some respects. They sound like they were not really in love with each other when they got married, but did so more out of obedience than out of love, or even out of logic. Those kinds of marriages sometimes work, but its very common for them to fail around midlife when people often start thinking about how they want to spend the rest of their lives. Selfish? Probably, but very human. :)

On 9/26/2017 at 5:11 PM, katherine the great said:

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't make it through the entire interview but I enjoyed listening to his descriptions of growing up LDS in the entertainment industry and the story of writing Saturday's Warrior. It's good to hear the true story because I had heard that he wrote it at BYU for a theater class (NOT!) I LOVED Saturday's Warrior with the original cast. I saw it as a brand new convert in California in the mid 70's. I was in awe of the Clinger sisters and Cam Clarke. It may seem corny and outdated now, but at the time it was magical. I remember it as much better than all of the subsequent musicals like My Turn on Earth, Star Child and Debby--Diary of a Mormon Girl.

You must have been there when I was!  

I had a look at Cam Clarke's Wikipedia article, and it says that he is a half-brother to Lex de Azevedo. Saturday's Warrior is only mentioned at the end of the article (his film/discography), and then only as if he recorded on the soundtrack. He has had quite a impressive number of voice acting credits, including in animated features and video games.

Edited by Stargazer