Seriously No Politics ×

Lex de Azevedo Interview

For those who are interested, Mormon Stories has done a lengthy interview with Lex de Azevedo, LDS composer and co-writer of Saturday's Warrior.

http://www.mormonstories.org/lex-de-azevedo/

Yes, it's a MS interview which may make some immediately decide to pass but de Azevedo is an active, faithful member and is not leaving the church.  I haven't finished listening but I have found the first half to be a fascinating look into his history and how Saturday's Warrior came to be.

If you are thinking "Saturday's what?" or "Lex who?" then this probably will have no interest for you.

51 minutes ago, rockpond said:

For those who are interested, Mormon Stories has done a lengthy interview with Lex de Azevedo, LDS composer and co-writer of Saturday's Warrior.

Yes, it's a MS interview which may make some immediately decide to pass but de Azevedo is an active, faithful member and is not leaving the church.  I haven't finished listening but I have found the first half to be a fascinating look into his history and how Saturday's Warrior came to be.

If you are thinking "Saturday's what?" or "Lex who?" then this probably will have no interest for you.

I listened to the whole thing last week and found it pretty interesting.  I like his take on a lot of things. 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I saw it once over 20 years ago and can't remember a thing

It was all my parents let us watch on Sundays for about 5 years. It's literally the biggest cultural tie my siblings have (second place is the Chipmunks Race Around the World). 

1 hour ago, Buckeye said:

It was all my parents let us watch on Sundays for about 5 years. It's literally the biggest cultural tie my siblings have (second place is the Chipmunks Race Around the World). 

Off topic-but one summer when i was in middle school my parents decided to get rid of cable, but our family culture was one of watching t.v. while we ate every meal (I was an only child at the time).  We had one video, Space Camp, and we watched it every time we ate, for the entire summer.  My parents and I can still quote that movie right along with the actors.  

4 hours ago, cinepro said:

First Question:  Who are these children coming down?

I don' t know..but they are coming down like falling rain.:DI saw this in my teens..at a high school (live) in SLC...many moons ago...lost the album.

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

Off topic-but one summer when i was in middle school my parents decided to get rid of cable, but our family culture was one of watching t.v. while we ate every meal (I was an only child at the time).  We had one video, Space Camp, and we watched it every time we ate, for the entire summer.  My parents and I can still quote that movie right along with the actors.  

That is one family custom I am so glad we didn't have.

I remember listening to the soundtrack for Saturday's Warrior as a kid, but that would have been a few years before the 1989 movie.  Did anyone else have access to the music before the movie (I'm wondering how that's even possible)? 

The comments were pretty interesting.  One poster wrote de Azevedo's notion of LDS choosing their families/spouses in their pre-mortal existence was specifically disavowed by Church leadership.  Nonetheless, the idea took hold on LDS thinking and made its way into some patriarchal blessings, setting devout hearts aflutter. 

The cynical reader might ask how long we'll need to wait before Matt Stone & Trey Parker's work starts turning up...

;0)

--Erik 

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

--Leonard Cohen (1934 - 2016)

2 hours ago, Five Solas said:

I remember listening to the soundtrack for Saturday's Warrior as a kid, but that would have been a few years before the 1989 movie.  Did anyone else have access to the music before the movie (I'm wondering how that's even possible)? 

The comments were pretty interesting.  One poster wrote de Azevedo's notion of LDS choosing their families/spouses in their pre-mortal existence was specifically disavowed by Church leadership.  Nonetheless, the idea took hold on LDS thinking and made its way into some patriarchal blessings, setting devout hearts aflutter. 

The cynical reader might ask how long we'll need to wait before Matt Stone & Trey Parker's work starts turning up...

;0)

--Erik 

Like calm said it was a musical first. I first saw it in 1976. My family had records of it that we played often. 

7 hours ago, Rain said:

Like calm said it was a musical first. I first saw it in 1976. My family had records of it that we played often. 

Got it.  I recalled it being on vinyl, which had largely been supplanted by the compact disk by the time of the movie.  Guessing if someone had a pristine first edition, might be worth a few bucks now.

:0)

--Erik 

20 hours ago, rockpond said:

Yes, this was such a fun interview, I was raised on the Saturday's Warrior songs, I know many of them by heart.  What a cool interview that John was able to get, just a delight to listen to the fascinating life of this man and his family.  

9 hours ago, Five Solas said:

;0)

--Erik 

I didn't, but I know someone that did.  Apparently it was a musical performed live before it was a movie.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:24 AM, rockpond said:

Thanks for that. I'm laid up right now with a hernia surgery so had time to listen to this. Since I first heard some of Lex's stuff, I have been fascinated with this man, and listening to the power of his testimony brought tears to my eyes. I also had a few good laughs - which I don't highly recommend when you aren't on any pain killers and just had a hernia surgery! If someone wants to get a good feel for this man, start listening here: https://youtu.be/fd8sIjKa2-A?t=45m00s

Edited by RevTestament

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't make it through the entire interview but I enjoyed listening to his descriptions of growing up LDS in the entertainment industry and the story of writing Saturday's Warrior. It's good to hear the true story because I had heard that he wrote it at BYU for a theater class (NOT!) I LOVED Saturday's Warrior with the original cast. I saw it as a brand new convert in California in the mid 70's. I was in awe of the Clinger sisters and Cam Clarke. It may seem corny and outdated now, but at the time it was magical. I remember it as much better than all of the subsequent musicals like My Turn on Earth, Star Child and Debby--Diary of a Mormon Girl.