Seriously No Politics ×

BYU and The Village Drill

smac97

14 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Wow.  This is very cool:

It makes me proud of my nourishing mother, BYU, and the religious principles which motivated these students and faculty members to devote their skills and time to such a worthy cause.

-Smac

Amazing!

i wish I had one of those to drill a drain in my window well. I've been dealing with a flooded basement since Friday. 

Other LDS projects, as of several years ago:

A BYU merry-go-round-generator project enables village children in Ghana to spin electricity while playing, and thus to power LED lights for the local school – and teaching local craftsmen how to build more such generators;

A BYU civil engineering project has provided reliable water supplies from a reservoir in Mexico;

The Church has made a system of water filtration available in many areas of the world which provides clean water (as in Guatemala) – estimating that over 7 million people now have access to clean water because of such LDS efforts;

In 2011 alone, LDS Charities helped build wells and spring water systems for one million people on three continents; in 2013, another 1.1 million people received such help in 33 countries.

The LDS Charities Food Initiative worked with non-LDS IITA (Nigeria) to distribute a new type of virus-free and pest-resistant cassava plant in the Democratic Republic of Congo;

Neonatal care and resuscitation training worldwide (24,000 in 33 countries);

Cataract and other types of eye surgery from Cambodia to Mongolia to Romania (with the training of local eye surgeons);

Measles and Polio vaccinations;

Free wheelchairs (57,000 in 54 countries in 2012), as well as free artificial limbs; etc.

10 hours ago, smac97 said:

Wow.  This is very cool:

It makes me proud of my nourishing mother, BYU, and the religious principles which motivated these students and faculty members to devote their skills and time to such a worthy cause.

-Smac

Magnifique!!

The BYU Ambassador performance of Chicago songs afterward was pretty good too.

Now they just have to design a small modular MSR electric plant, and they will change to course of history...

10 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

Magnifique!!

The BYU Ambassador performance of Chicago songs afterward was pretty good too.

Now they just have to design a small modular MSR electric plant, and they will change to course of history...

What is "MSR"?  Molten Salt Reactor?  I would love to see BYU take the lead on thorium reactors.  

Thanks,

-Smac

29 minutes ago, smac97 said:

What is "MSR"?  Molten Salt Reactor?  I would love to see BYU take the lead on thorium reactors.  

Thanks,

-Smac

Yes, there are already a couple modular designs. Here is a link to a couple of companies with some of these:

http://www.nanalyze.com/2017/02/molten-salt-reactor-when/

However, I don't believe BYU has a nuclear engineering dept. I've heard however, someone from BYU has been in contact with Flibe Energy. Kirk Sorensen is apparently LDS. I think he is promoting both a small modular design and full scall LFTR plant. Utah is apparently in danger of losing its big client(s) for our Intermountain Power coal plants - if this were to happen, it would be a big economic incentive to go Thorium baby!! I am all for this. We need to stop sending petrodollars overseas to countries that use it to cause trouble for us, and Thorium power would make electric cars practical.

It is very curious to me that the US has not taken a more proactive approach to this promising technology. Instead we spend billions on fusion technology which is decades away from ever hoping to become commercial, and impractical solar and wind.

Edited by RevTestament

Solar and wind generated electricity is cheaper than other forms of electric generation. My roof top panels generated enough electricity that last month that my bill from SCE was $1.11 and that was for fees and taxes. Most months the electric company owes me money.

Edited by thesometimesaint
18 hours ago, strappinglad said:

To quote Jay Leno , " I believe that engineers will save the world ."  Now , if we could entice a few engineers away from building weapons and into projects like this one.

Only when the world changes will engineers change. Until then I mourn the loss of what we might have had. When I read the below from President Eisenhower did it start to dawn on me what we had given up. 

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This, I repeat, is the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. (The Chance For Peace, April 16, 1953)