Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hope_for_things

BYU Caffeine is APPROVED - Breaking news!

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, pogi said:

This really is something to celebrate, now we can have a caffeine buzz with our soda induced diabetes!

I could never understand the decaffeinated diet coke. It's still got the unknown chemicals, and nutrisweet, and leaving out the best part caffeine! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Button Gwinnett said:

Caffeinated Coke was equivalent to alcohol or coffee in the home of my youth.

I remember going to a friends house for dinner once.  They served Mountain Dew with the meal.  This was equivalent, in my eyes, to a child hanging out at a bar! The spirit vanished faster than an ACDC concert, as the Dew from Satan's breath hit my tongue and opened my eyes.  I kept that a secret from my parents my whole life! 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, pogi said:

I remember going to a friends house for dinner once.  They served Mountain Dew with the meal.  This was equivalent, in my eyes, to a child hanging out at a bar! The spirit vanished faster than an ACDC concert, as the Dew from Satan's breath hit my tongue and opened my eyes.  I kept that a secret from my parents my whole life! 

I was grounded for trying cherry coke when it first came out...I was at Walgreens and sitting there thinking...I am going to die!!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Jeanne said:

I was grounded for trying cherry coke when it first came out...I was at Walgreens and sitting there thinking...I am going to die!!:P

My mother always drank Dr. Pepper. In her old age (she's 80), she has switched to diet Coke. I never drank much caffeine growing up, but the last 3 months of my mission I was in a remote town in the Amazon jungle. There was no safe water to drink (the water was orange-colored), no milk or juice was available, and the only safe beverage was the soda flown in monthly to the Coca-Cola distributor, which was coincidentally across the street from where we lived. By the time I went home, I was probably drinking around 3 liters of Coke a day, and it took me some time to wean myself off it when I got home.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

My mother always drank Dr. Pepper. In her old age (she's 80), she has switched to diet Coke. I never drank much caffeine growing up, but the last 3 months of my mission I was in a remote town in the Amazon jungle. There was no safe water to drink (the water was orange-colored), no milk or juice was available, and the only safe beverage was the soda flown in monthly to the Coca-Cola distributor, which was coincidentally across the street from where we lived. By the time I went home, I was probably drinking around 3 liters of Coke a day, and it took me some time to wean myself off it when I got home.

:)That must have been hard...then to ween yourself off would be tough.  In between...you were just buzzin'...3 liters of coke would have kept you moving fast!!

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I could never understand the decaffeinated diet coke. It's still got the unknown chemicals, and nutrisweet, and leaving out the best part caffeine! ;)

After about 7:00 I usually choose decaffeinated diet coke for my fix of mildly acerbic beverage. My wife shares your viewpoint though.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, hope_for_things said:

With BYU offering caffeine now, what does this mean for the future of Mormonism?  Should we celebrate this as an example of modern revelation?  Is President Hinckley turning in his grave?  Is this the start of a slippery slope?  

http://fox13now.com/2017/09/21/byu-to-sell-caffeinated-sodas-on-campus/

http://dining.byu.edu/future_dining.html

Without caffeine you can create much more intricate and beautiful spider webs. 

Screenshot_20170921-155856.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, stemelbow said:

oh crap....soon women will be running around campus in pants and men will be sporting well-groomed mustaches.  It's going to really get bad once someone proposes we stop blaming women for the sexual assaults. 

Some of the women are already sporting well-groomed mustaches ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Some of the women are already sporting well-groomed mustaches ;-)

What the hell? I have lowered my standards a bit. Why not a little more? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, blueglass said:

Without caffeine you can create much more intricate and beautiful spider webs. 

Screenshot_20170921-155856.jpg

You piqued my curiosity enough to check this out. Personally I'd be more annoyed with just how much I'd have to pee (in addition to volume, don't forget that caffeine is also a diuretic). :)

http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/2007/04/23/get-your-morning-started-right/

Edited by Nofear

Share this post


Link to post

I've got to imagine that a cheer went up somewhere around the BYU Marriott Law school, caffeinated coke will help all of those long nights of studying, plus no more need to sneak it into the library.  ( I am speculating and guessing and not speaking from experience cough cough)

Edited by Button Gwinnett

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, pogi said:

I remember going to a friends house for dinner once.  They served Mountain Dew with the meal.  This was equivalent, in my eyes, to a child hanging out at a bar! The spirit vanished faster than an ACDC concert, as the Dew from Satan's breath hit my tongue and opened my eyes.  I kept that a secret from my parents my whole life! 

Did you know that the name Mountain Dew is slang for moonshine?  

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, california boy said:

Did you know that the name Mountain Dew is slang for moonshine?  

As a banjo pickin' boy, I have learned a thing or two from hillbilly music -

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, blueglass said:

Without caffeine you can create much more intricate and beautiful spider webs. 

Screenshot_20170921-155856.jpg

lets hope Peter parker knows that

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Nofear said:

After about 7:00 I usually choose decaffeinated diet coke for my fix of mildly acerbic beverage. My wife shares your viewpoint though.

If you are doing diet to keep calories down, there have been studies that show correlation between weight gain and diet drinks.  One speculation is possibly it makes you crave carbs more , either because it triggers insulin or it may throw off serotonin.

(I feel sorry for people who sacrifice taste unnecessarily, apologies for being too serious)

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post

It was only a matter of time before the administration had to do something to help 60,000 fans stay AWAKE during this year's version of BYU Cougar football.  <Yaaawn...>

Share this post


Link to post

I just heard on the news, that BYUI was asked if they were going to follow suit, and they said "no". 

Share this post


Link to post

Should this thread not be combined with the thread about cafeteria doctrines? :D

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Avatar4321 said:

I heard it on the radio.

buying caffeine at byu is apparently newsworthy. The restoration of the gospel yet goes unnoticed by the world at large

The unfortunate truth is that the church is seen as a fringe religion with odd rules of behavior, so when the rules change, that is what makes the news. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

The unfortunate truth is that the church is seen as a fringe religion with odd rules of behavior, so when the rules change, that is what makes the news. 

and yet, the day will come when we will be the ship that brings this turbulent world into port

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Calm said:

If you are doing diet to keep calories down, there have been studies that show correlation between weight gain and diet drinks.  One speculation is possibly it makes you crave carbs more , either because it triggers insulin or it may throw off serotonin.

(I feel sorry for people who sacrifice taste unnecessarily, apologies for being too serious)

Yep, artificial sweeteners do that. Fortunately I have a severe medical condition that seems to offset much of that potential weight gain.

After acclimation, one actually finds sugar pop too … saccharine (ironic use of word noted ☺.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Robert F. Smith
      https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-collapses-dies-3-caffeinated-181620380.html .  A timely video explaining the dangers of excess caffeine consumption in the context of a boy who died in the classroom from excessive caffeine intake.  It is likely that he had no idea of the danger.
      A link is not a topic for discussion. What is the topic question.
    • By BCSpace
       
      I've always considered caffeine to be a gateway drug.  Still do.  So while I realize that it's not specifically part of the WoW (the doctrine though is that habit forming substances are to be avoided), my family is being raised to be caffeine free in terms of soda pop.
       
      For those who would like to remind us of chocolate, are we affected by that as much as say regularly drinking Coke or Mountain Dew?
×