Sign in to follow this  
hope_for_things

BYU Caffeine is APPROVED - Breaking news!

3 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

Why the 23rd, didn't Moroni come on the 22nd as that is the autumn equinox after all.  

Didn't you read my apocalypse thread?
All the conspiracy theorists have this Saturday down as the end of the world.  Something to do with a mysterious planet named Nibiru and Revelation 12.

Just now, JLHPROF said:

Didn't you read my apocalypse thread?
All the conspiracy theorists have this Saturday down as the end of the world.  Something to do with a mysterious planet named Nibiru and Revelation 12.

Oh man, I missed it...   Those conspiracy theorists might get more traction if they could combine their theories for alien planets and Revelation proof-texting, with Mormon myths.   Missed opportunity I think, just sayin...  

I always thought the unavailability of caffeinated drinks on campus was one of the only things keeping the entire university from being translated and taken up to heaven. Now it's just the awful football team keeping BYU in terrestrial spheres.

Edited by jkwilliams

Well...it took about 40 years...but hey..this beats walking to the nearest 7-11...about time...they were drinking them anyway. Ten years...ten...and Starbucks will be on campus...:D

Edited by Jeanne

52 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

With BYU offering caffeine now, what does this mean for the future of Mormonism? [...] Is this the start of a slippery slope?  

It's a slippery slope alright, and I know what's at the bottom of it: Caffeinated Mountain Dew Sluprees! 

Oh, but that will never happen some might say; Mountain Dew is a Pepsi product, and the university has an exclusive deal with Coke.

FOR NOW!

Oh, just you wait and see. The seventh wave is coming, and despite what you and Sting believe it won't be Love. No, it will be a targeted attack on all that we, with our steady, withdrawal-free hands, hold dear. And it's plain to see how it will happen. 

It will be lead by those Dr. Pepper loving transplants from the South. You know the ones I'm talking about: the ones who hang Texas flags in their windows and curiously refer to all carbonated beverages as Cokes. Can't you see what they are doing!? They aren't just playing word games - they are framing the entire debate! They are two steps (pun intended) ahead of everyone else! 

They have practically won the war before it has even started.

It's only a matter of time now; only a matter of time...

45 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

My light-hearted fun is your "disparaged / attacked / insulted / maligned". 

Obliquely accusing BYU of "blaming women for the sexual assaults" is "light-hearted fun"?

Rape is a serious subject.  

45 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I meant no offense. 

Right.  Publicly accusing BYU of "blaming women for the{ir} sexual assaults" was intended as a compliment.

-Smac

45 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Obliquely accusing BYU of "blaming women for the sexual assaults" is "light-hearted fun"?

Rape is a serious subject.  

It sure is.  And BYU went through the ringer so to speak on that topic--thus I thought it worth a bit of a jab in a light-hearted way.  I don't think BYU nor those at BYU ever had the intent to blame the women for the assault, if that helps.  I really do feel terribly that women not only had to suffer an assault, but also had to deal with stress added by the school for possibly breaking rules.  I'm hoping it's all in a better place now. 

Right.  Publicly accusing BYU of "blaming women for the{ir} sexual assaults" was intended as a compliment.

-Smac

Not a compliment at all.  But most light-hearted poking and prodding isn't meant as a compliment. 

Poster removed

1 hour ago, hope_for_things said:

Is this the start of a slippery slope?  

Next thing you know, they are going to have men with beards drinking coke on campus :shok:

1 minute ago, pogi said:

Next thing you know, they are going to have men with beards drinking coke on campus :shok:

men on coke drinking beards...

1 minute ago, CV75 said:

men on coke drinking beards...

Wow, you are going WAY down the slope...joints in vending machines, no clothes day, etc.  I guess it's all possible now that the Devil has taken control of BYU. 

45 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

Bravo!!! I couldn't help myself from singing this in my mind as I read it! 

In fairness I did not write it but could not find the original source either.

My dear departed Mother is rolling over in her grave....she never touched a drink containing caffeine in her entire life

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

From the SL Trib article, "As for coffee or tea, hot or cold, forget it. This is all about just the sodas, says BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins." http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09/21/reversing-decades-old-policy-byu-sells-caffeinated-drinks-on-campus/ 

Compare to this quote from Jenkins in 2012: “This decision has been based on what our customers want, and there has not been a demand for caffeinated beverages." http://universe.byu.edu/2012/09/11/no-demand-for-caffeine-at-byu/

I guess demand started in the last 5 years ? ;)

Seriously, what's next? Are you going to start letting cougars cut corners?

2 hours ago, rchorse said:

As a BYU alumnus, I would have preferred they abandon the no-facial-hair policy first. Never cared much about caffeine.

In our stake we have one bishop with a beard and two high council members, and many many ward council attendees, but no sisters with beards.

Clearly we still have to work on that one.

2 hours ago, hope_for_things said:

Image result for "orson pratt" bust statue

My hope is for an Orson Pratt statue someday.  That would be epic as his beard is amazing.  

Now THAT would be tough in bronze......

4 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Now THAT would be tough in bronze......

They might need a warning sign or a fence around the statue as it would be a safety hazard.  ;)

I am so glad. Now I can have my chocolate... oh, that's right, I've been partaking in chocolate on the side already. 

But now I get to double down!!

Ridiculous preening

49 minutes ago, Button Gwinnett said:

My dear departed Mother is rolling over in her grave....she never touched a drink containing caffeine in her entire life

I still remember my mother come barreling out of the kitchen and snatching a glass out of my hand when I was probably 7 or 8.
The girl next door tried to give me a glass of coke.

12 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Ridiculous preening

:huh:

I just hope they sell it at the stadium now.  I'll need it just to stay awake this year. 

12 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I still remember my mother come barreling out of the kitchen and snatching a glass out of my hand when I was probably 7 or 8.
The girl next door tried to give me a glass of coke.

Caffeinated Coke was equivalent to alcohol or coffee in the home of my youth.

This really is something to celebrate, now we can have a caffeine buzz with our soda induced diabetes!