Seriously No Politics ×

BYU Caffeine is APPROVED - Breaking news!

10 minutes ago, pogi said:

This really is something to celebrate, now we can have a caffeine buzz with our soda induced diabetes!

I could never understand the decaffeinated diet coke. It's still got the unknown chemicals, and nutrisweet, and leaving out the best part caffeine! ;)

2 minutes ago, Button Gwinnett said:

Caffeinated Coke was equivalent to alcohol or coffee in the home of my youth.

I remember going to a friends house for dinner once.  They served Mountain Dew with the meal.  This was equivalent, in my eyes, to a child hanging out at a bar! The spirit vanished faster than an ACDC concert, as the Dew from Satan's breath hit my tongue and opened my eyes.  I kept that a secret from my parents my whole life! 

2 minutes ago, pogi said:

I remember going to a friends house for dinner once.  They served Mountain Dew with the meal.  This was equivalent, in my eyes, to a child hanging out at a bar! The spirit vanished faster than an ACDC concert, as the Dew from Satan's breath hit my tongue and opened my eyes.  I kept that a secret from my parents my whole life! 

I was grounded for trying cherry coke when it first came out...I was at Walgreens and sitting there thinking...I am going to die!!:P

Just now, Jeanne said:

I was grounded for trying cherry coke when it first came out...I was at Walgreens and sitting there thinking...I am going to die!!:P

My mother always drank Dr. Pepper. In her old age (she's 80), she has switched to diet Coke. I never drank much caffeine growing up, but the last 3 months of my mission I was in a remote town in the Amazon jungle. There was no safe water to drink (the water was orange-colored), no milk or juice was available, and the only safe beverage was the soda flown in monthly to the Coca-Cola distributor, which was coincidentally across the street from where we lived. By the time I went home, I was probably drinking around 3 liters of Coke a day, and it took me some time to wean myself off it when I got home.

8 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

My mother always drank Dr. Pepper. In her old age (she's 80), she has switched to diet Coke. I never drank much caffeine growing up, but the last 3 months of my mission I was in a remote town in the Amazon jungle. There was no safe water to drink (the water was orange-colored), no milk or juice was available, and the only safe beverage was the soda flown in monthly to the Coca-Cola distributor, which was coincidentally across the street from where we lived. By the time I went home, I was probably drinking around 3 liters of Coke a day, and it took me some time to wean myself off it when I got home.

:)That must have been hard...then to ween yourself off would be tough.  In between...you were just buzzin'...3 liters of coke would have kept you moving fast!!

27 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I could never understand the decaffeinated diet coke. It's still got the unknown chemicals, and nutrisweet, and leaving out the best part caffeine! ;)

After about 7:00 I usually choose decaffeinated diet coke for my fix of mildly acerbic beverage. My wife shares your viewpoint though.

5 hours ago, hope_for_things said:

With BYU offering caffeine now, what does this mean for the future of Mormonism?  Should we celebrate this as an example of modern revelation?  Is President Hinckley turning in his grave?  Is this the start of a slippery slope?  

http://fox13now.com/2017/09/21/byu-to-sell-caffeinated-sodas-on-campus/

http://dining.byu.edu/future_dining.html

Without caffeine you can create much more intricate and beautiful spider webs. 

Screenshot_20170921-155856.jpg

5 hours ago, stemelbow said:

oh crap....soon women will be running around campus in pants and men will be sporting well-groomed mustaches.  It's going to really get bad once someone proposes we stop blaming women for the sexual assaults. 

Some of the women are already sporting well-groomed mustaches ;-)

56 minutes ago, blueglass said:

Without caffeine you can create much more intricate and beautiful spider webs. 

Screenshot_20170921-155856.jpg

You piqued my curiosity enough to check this out. Personally I'd be more annoyed with just how much I'd have to pee (in addition to volume, don't forget that caffeine is also a diuretic). :)

http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/2007/04/23/get-your-morning-started-right/

Edited by Nofear

I've got to imagine that a cheer went up somewhere around the BYU Marriott Law school, caffeinated coke will help all of those long nights of studying, plus no more need to sneak it into the library.  ( I am speculating and guessing and not speaking from experience cough cough)

Edited by Button Gwinnett
3 hours ago, pogi said:

Did you know that the name Mountain Dew is slang for moonshine?  

4 hours ago, Nofear said:

After about 7:00 I usually choose decaffeinated diet coke for my fix of mildly acerbic beverage. My wife shares your viewpoint though.

If you are doing diet to keep calories down, there have been studies that show correlation between weight gain and diet drinks.  One speculation is possibly it makes you crave carbs more , either because it triggers insulin or it may throw off serotonin.

(I feel sorry for people who sacrifice taste unnecessarily, apologies for being too serious)

Edited by Calm
1 minute ago, Avatar4321 said:

I heard it on the radio.

buying caffeine at byu is apparently newsworthy. The restoration of the gospel yet goes unnoticed by the world at large

The unfortunate truth is that the church is seen as a fringe religion with odd rules of behavior, so when the rules change, that is what makes the news. 

3 hours ago, Calm said:

If you are doing diet to keep calories down, there have been studies that show correlation between weight gain and diet drinks.  One speculation is possibly it makes you crave carbs more , either because it triggers insulin or it may throw off serotonin.

(I feel sorry for people who sacrifice taste unnecessarily, apologies for being too serious)

Yep, artificial sweeteners do that. Fortunately I have a severe medical condition that seems to offset much of that potential weight gain.

After acclimation, one actually finds sugar pop too … saccharine (ironic use of word noted ☺.