Seriously No Politics ×

Non-LDS Advocacy of LDS Lifestyle (aka "bourgeois culture")

smac97

I completely agree.

I've been saying since I gained my testimony nearly two decades ago that if we lived the Gospel our society would be transformed

poverty would decrease.

mental health needs would decrease

medical costs would plummet

suicide rates would evaporate

attorneys would have to find honorable jobs

we could wipe out STDs within a generation.

there would be less anger, hatred, violence in the world

13 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

... attorneys would have to find honorable jobs ...

Ouch! :huh:  Largely, whether most any profession is honorable depends almost entirely on those who practice it.  I've never met Smac97 in real life, but from what limited dealings I have had with him, I am certain that he is an honorable man and a credit to his profession.  Medicine, as an ideal, is a healing, helping profession, but that does not mean that there are not those who, rather than doing what is best for their patients, are, instead, simply in it for the money.

2 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Ouch! :huh:  Largely, whether most any profession is honorable depends almost entirely on those who practice it.  I've never met Smac97 in real life, but from what limited dealings I have had with him, I am certain that he is an honorable man and a credit to his profession.  Medicine, as an ideal, is a healing, helping profession, but that does not mean that there are not those who, rather than doing what is best for their patients, are, instead, simply in it for the money.

btw I'm an attorney too

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

1 hour ago, Avatar4321 said:

btw I'm an attorney too

I thought you were, but I was trying to remember if perhaps I had confused you with someone else.  If it's not too much IRL info, what, and where, do you practice?

6 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

btw I'm an attorney too

I did not take the previous remark as any sort of slight against myself, or even as a real condemnation of the legal profession. Attorneys are understandably, or at least should be, fairly self-deprecating. Our profession involves resolving disputes between parties, but it also allows for plenty of opportunities for vexatious or other inappropriate conduct. Hence the proliferation of lawyer jokes. In an ideal world, (such as during the Millennium), it is my hope and expectation that attorneys will not be needed in the same way they are needed now.

While I'm certainly less reactionary to the opinion piece, I do get why people could have some serious problems with it. I have problems with it. For one, this article and articles like it have this tendency to airbrush history. The problems of these eras get an honorable mention while the positives are over glorified. They remind me of fluffy historical romances, where some person is transported to some more "chivalrous" time, finds the one man who's chivalry also allowed her some leeway and recognized personhood, and brushes over the disease factors, maternal death rate, and the inherent dangers of that era. The image that's being painted in essence is part fantasy. The airbrushing also proscribes this as a practical fix-all to all social woahs of our time. This to me is an oversimplification of the problems facing today. 

It also doesn't go over the inherent weaknesses of the cultural system it is suggesting. And there are problems. For example, staying married "for the kids" can lead to maintaining dysfunctional family systems for the sake of an image. It also means that a lot of familial problems are driven underground or left unacknowledged as problems in the first place. I am not saying that the world they're painting wouldn't be nice or have positive results. 2-parent households of an equitable partnership are great for raising children. Waiting till marriage to have said kids is also particularly helpful. But there are problems and the culture that overly promotes this can end up leaving those problems at times poorly addressed. 

The way that it suggests promoting said culture also means that anyone who doesn't fit that mold gets the shaft. I have found myself feeling particularly bad for my clients who were raised in areas with this "bourgeois" culture (or upper-middle mormon utah culture to be exact) but didn't fit it themselves. The contrast could lead to weird complexes, exacerbating some of their problems to an extreme that didn't need to be there. Even for myself this bourgeois culture had its difficulties. Though having a "bourgeois" culture in my later teens gave space for healing and realizing there was a different possibility out there for me....it also left me feeling extremely different and unrelatable to those around me for years. I sometimes still feel that way. Their final suggestion means that a large chunk of the american experience and peoples would suddenly feel alienated or find little connection to the stories found in media, arts, and other avenues of expression. Because they weren't leave-it-to-beaver enough. 

That leads me to my last problem. Most families and households simply can't rewind to a 1950's family structure and approach to living. It's just not possible. Even if all the single-parent households married, that wouldn't lead to a 2-parent household...it would lead to a blended family with more parents and possibly children to work into the structure. You can't un-have kids, undo time, and revert to an era that simply doesn't belong in this one. Not even the church can promote its ideal in the same way it did in the 50's/60's....because doing so can alienate people from the gospel. I've watched it happen before. I've felt it in my own life. Our message is finding ways to be more inclusive or to better acknowledge that many won't fit a mold. This article doesn't give the possibility. What it proscribes to me feels like crippling homogeneity. A world that I simply can't fit into....even though I plan to have that 2 parent household, kids conceived in marriage, got the education for my current employment, don't do drugs etc. But some of it I don't want to fit. I have seen several of these values taken to an extreme that doesn't allow for much civil disobedience, acknowledging severe fault in leaders, inability to critique or critically look into situations/ideas, suppress creativity and innovation, find value outside the box, etc.

The world she paints is not the LDS lifestyle I currently live. It fits a specific type of LDS lifestyle...one bred more out of culture than doctrine. 

With luv,

BD