RevTestament

More Opportunities for service projects than I think I have ever seen

This has been quite the catastrophic hurricane season.

image.png.a55c08abf95c3522df76a9bb00061a2d.png

This is the island nation of Dominica after Maria. It is one of the poorest Caribbean islands because it doesn't have large beaches or reefs to attract tourists. It did have a gorgeous tropical forest before this storm. Most of its GDP was in agriculture, esp tropical fruits. All that is destroyed now.

Puerto Rico will have places without power for months. 

Barbuda is so destroyed that the island is now uninhabited, and most of the population is being housed on the main island of Antigua.

Houston has over 10,000 houses which need to be abandoned and leveled. 

The Florida keys are a wreck.

All this from three storms. FEMA is probably hiring. Wonder if I should apply...

Anyway, there is lots of opportunity to help people. Many will appreciate it.

Had a friend visiting Mexico City on Tuesday when the earthquake hit. Lot of damage there too.

10 hours ago, RevTestament said:

This has been quite the catastrophic hurricane season.

image.png.a55c08abf95c3522df76a9bb00061a2d.png

This is the island nation of Dominica after Maria. It is one of the poorest Caribbean islands because it doesn't have large beaches or reefs to attract tourists. It did have a gorgeous tropical forest before this storm. Most of its GDP was in agriculture, esp tropical fruits. All that is destroyed now.

Puerto Rico will have places without power for months. 

Barbuda is so destroyed that the island is now uninhabited, and most of the population is being housed on the main island of Antigua.

Houston has over 10,000 houses which need to be abandoned and leveled. 

The Florida keys are a wreck.

All this from three storms. FEMA is probably hiring. Wonder if I should apply...

Anyway, there is lots of opportunity to help people. Many will appreciate it.

Makes you wonder if Saturday is the end of the world, after all. The Western Hemisphere I'd reeling from so many storms, fires and earthquakes in the last month...scary stuff. I am not sure if it is just the 24 hour news cycle, or things are as bad as they have ever been. 

12 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Makes you wonder if Saturday is the end of the world, after all. The Western Hemisphere I'd reeling from so many storms, fires and earthquakes in the last month...scary stuff. I am not sure if it is just the 24 hour news cycle, or things are as bad as they have ever been. 

I'm not promoting the end of the world. That is far away. I am not promoting a man-made climate change scare either. I am promoting the idea that the Church help these people. If anyone can help, there is lots of room to help. We had a really damaging hurricane season. I think I will increase my contributions to humanitarian aid.

I didn't mean to leave out the residents of the Virgin Islands either. They were hit really hard as well.

18 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

I'm not promoting the end of the world. That is far away. I am not promoting a man-made climate change scare either. I am promoting the idea that the Church help these people. If anyone can help, there is lots of room to help. We had a really damaging hurricane season. I think I will increase my contributions to humanitarian aid.

I didn't mean to leave out the residents of the Virgin Islands either. They were hit really hard as well.

Understood, just picking up the conversation we had before about it, and the horrific nature of so much in the last month. This morning on the news they talked about some areas that will be without power for six months. There will indeed be many opportunities for service, while most on the mainland can drive to give aid, what is to happen when so many cannot be reached? Very heartbreaking and dangerous times ahead, for so many. My God give us the strength to meet the challenges before us. 

1 hour ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Understood, just picking up the conversation we had before about it, and the horrific nature of so much in the last month. This morning on the news they talked about some areas that will be without power for six months. There will indeed be many opportunities for service, while most on the mainland can drive to give aid, what is to happen when so many cannot be reached? Very heartbreaking and dangerous times ahead, for so many. My God give us the strength to meet the challenges before us. 

Dominica for example is a very Christian nation, but will be without income or food for at least a year. It will be completely dependent on help of others. That's 75,000 people. We need to remember just because these hurricanes are gone that the need for help is not.

4 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Amazing.  Inconceivable. 
Almost the entire state of Florida moved north to Georgia.

And Mexico City!    After the earthquake, my daughter's entire apartment building was among many others that had to be evacuated -- alot of people have nowhere to go.  She is unable to communicate with the school where she works.  I assume that the church buildings are in good shape, since they are built to earthquake standards.

While I don’t hold to the notion that these resent disasters forewarn the end of the world...I am moved by the devastations impact on the humans involved.  

5 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

It can't be the end of the world I have tickets for Jason Aldean on September 29th.

56 minutes ago, cdowis said:

Amazing.  Inconceivable. 

And Mexico City!    After the earthquake, my daughter's entire apartment building was among many others that had to be evacuated -- alot of people have nowhere to go.  She is unable to communicate with the school where she works.  I assume that the church buildings are in good shape, since they are built to earthquake standards.

So true, so many displaced, dispersed, and homeless. This entire Month has been one disaster after another.  

3 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Dominica for example is a very Christian nation, but will be without income or food for at least a year. It will be completely dependent on help of others. That's 75,000 people. We need to remember just because these hurricanes are gone that the need for help is not.

It will tax the income of much of the Westren Hemisphere, for the next year, as well as the resources of so many charities.  

1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

It can't be the end of the world I have tickets for Jason Aldean on September 29th.

I wanted to see the Brit Floyd concert this year in SLC, but thought my wife would appreciate a piano performance more for her anniversary. I never did get to see Pink Floyd.

2 hours ago, cdowis said:

Amazing.  Inconceivable. 

I am glad to hear she survived and the building did not collapse on her.

1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

I am glad to hear she survived and the building did not collapse on her.

Thank you.   have had several instances where my family have been protected ==  twice from tornados, drowning, and now earthquake.

I was hearing on the radio that there are people considering vacationing in the Carribean soecifically to help these people. Some to actually come physically help. Others coming to spend money there to help the economy. 

My brother lives in FL. He was helping with Helping Hands from the church. After tearing down the drywall, throwing out all her furniture one woman broke down and cried because she just couldn't handle giving up the table that was her parents. My brother offered to fix the table and refinish it for her. She hugged him and cried again. He has been doing that as a hobby/side job so it was a blessing to have him working in that group "coincidentally" when he was supposed to be in another group.

Edited by Rain

On 9/21/2017 at 1:48 AM, The Nehor said:

Had a friend visiting Mexico City on Tuesday when the earthquake hit. Lot of damage there too.

Another quake in mexico this morning

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Another quake in mexico this morning

With the world ending tomorrow I guess God wants an early start on North America so there is less to do on the actual day.

Did someone ask, what has been the response from the antiMormons to all this volunteer work?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Mormon church is a multi billion dollar corporation, and they are getting all this free publicity off the backs of their tithe paying members.  Look at those Helping Hands shirts == just a billboard for the church.  There is Uchtdorf speaking to the volunteers as just a cheerleader.  Where are the miracles like the apostles in the Bible?

It is shameful, and they should PAY those workers for their labor.

And besides, all this publicity.  Didn't Christ say etc etc etc
+++++++++++++++++

I could give you the links but it would violate the rules of good taste.  Their rapid response team has been posting their videos all over youtube.

Edited by cdowis

They'll nip at our heels, meanwhile, we'll simply do as we've always done, and go about doing good. :) 

18 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

They'll nip at our heels, meanwhile, we'll simply do as we've always done, and go about doing good. :) 

That is very definitely true about LDS. Since my inactivity, and not holding a calling except for a visiting teaching calling, I lack the ability to serve like I'd done before. But I don't represent a lot of disaffected LDS that do and serve outside of the church. I do volunteer weekly at a hospital though, I guess that might count.

But really would love to help these places that are devasted. I'm not sure about the Red Cross now, and may do something on my own. I have heard that the Red Cross doesn't always give the donations where they are needed. Or this could be false rumours .

I know the LDS members, missionaries etc. are raised serving others and know how to pitch in. But sometimes they can go overboard such as is the case with my inactive sister. A former childhood neighbor of ours heard she was moving to his neighborhood in Colorado (this was several years ago), and when he found out she was moving in, he had the members of their ward over there helping her. But sometimes people don't want the help. I guess they pretty much overtook my sister and her things. She wasn't prepared for that and felt like she was taken over. She has been inactive since high school so she wasn't use to the way LDS serve I guess. 

Edited by Tacenda