bsjkki

Scouting changes...how is it going in your ward?

bsjkki    1,044

Since the church has come out with the new scouting guidelines and ended scout activities for those 14 and up, what changes have happened in your wards? I think the activities for the boys 14 and up have been going fine. The problem I am facing is for those scouts under 14. Since the church only does scouts now for ages 11, 12 and 13, I have seen an increased lack caring about the scout program and a lack of buy in by parents and leaders. This attitude is being passed down to the boys and some have even celebrated, "not having to get their Eagle." This half in and half out situation is not translating well for the younger scouts, parents or leaders. My ward has struggled for years implementing scouting so this is not entirely new but has made a bad situation even worse. Scout supplies are very expensive and many parents don't want to pay for a uniform that will only be used a few years and most boys are not successfully completing requirements or advancing. I have heard many express that the scouting program will be completely gone soon so what is the point. My issue is we have boys who are only 11, 12, and 13 right now and we are not serving them well. The apathy is wide spread and is not a good message for the boys. 

ksfisher    2,751
4 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Since the church has come out with the new scouting guidelines and ended scout activities for those 14 and up, what changes have happened in your wards? I think the activities for the boys 14 and up have been going fine. The problem I am facing is for those scouts under 14. Since the church only does scouts now for ages 11, 12 and 13, I have seen an increased lack caring about the scout program and a lack of buy in by parents and leaders. This attitude is being passed down to the boys and some have even celebrated, "not having to get their Eagle." This half in and half out situation is not translating well for the younger scouts, parents or leaders. My ward has struggled for years implementing scouting so this is not entirely new but has made a bad situation even worse. Scout supplies are very expensive and many parents don't want to pay for a uniform that will only be used a few years and most boys are not successfully completing requirements or advancing. I have heard many express that the scouting program will be completely gone soon so what is the point. My issue is we have boys who are only 11, 12, and 13 right now and we are not serving them well. The apathy is wide spread and is not a good message for the boys. 

The changes do not take effect until the end of the year.

"Beginning January 1, 2018, young men from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will no longer participate in the Varsity and Venturing programs offered by the Boy Scouts of America."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/questions-answers-changes-young-men-program

bsjkki    1,044
6 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

The changes do not take effect until the end of the year.

"Beginning January 1, 2018, young men from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will no longer participate in the Varsity and Venturing programs offered by the Boy Scouts of America."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/questions-answers-changes-young-men-program

Sorry...not true. The new program can be started anytime after June 1, 2017. Units will not charter older scouts beginning Jan. 1, 2018. https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/english/young-men/PD50054190-YM-Activity-Program-Implementation.pdf?lang=eng 

"3. How soon can we begin implementation? Units may begin implementation of the new teacher and priest activities anytime after June 1, 2017, as directed by bishops."

ksfisher    2,751
5 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Sorry...not true. The new program can be started anytime after June 1, 2017. Units will not charter older scouts beginning Jan. 1, 2018. https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/english/young-men/PD50054190-YM-Activity-Program-Implementation.pdf?lang=eng 

"3. How soon can we begin implementation? Units may begin implementation of the new teacher and priest activities anytime after June 1, 2017, as directed by bishops."

You stated in your OP that " the church has come out with the new scouting guidelines and ended scout activities for those 14 and up."  I pointed out that the program does not officially end until the end of the year.

That being, said, no changes in my ward.  We've still been proceeding with the scouting and young mens programs as before.  I'm guessing later in the year we'll have a discussion about how to implement the new program.

bsjkki    1,044

Well, maybe my ward experience can act as a cautionary tale for those who have not implemented the changes yet. How to still have enthusiasm for a program that few care about anymore?

rongo    3,037

I used the change as an opportunity to call an inactive brother as young men's president, and it has worked out fantastic for us. His mandate from me (I explained that we were no longer doing Varsity and Venturing, which was a relief to him) was to help the boys grow spiritually on Sundays, and to have quality activities during the week that are interesting/exciting; explore careers, hobbies, and interests; and help them become competent adults. I called a new member to the ward who is working on his PhD in counseling to be his counselor, and I had my executive secretary released and called him as another counselor. It is working out much, much better for our boys than the Scouting program. The president actively attends church and has had some great activities. Last week, the boys made and served dinner to the young women.

For the deacons, we still "do" Scouts, but I think that its days are numbered. As you point out, it's hard to maintain enthusiasm for a program that clearly has a two-year shelf life. Our Scoutmaster is good, and we "do" the program, but none of our feelings will be hurt if/when we transition to doing "young men's" with our younger boys as well. 

rpn    1,233

Boys after age 14 can still do scouting in troops, it just isn't automatic for the church to enroll everyone who is that age in it.

Calm    21,236
8 hours ago, bsjkki said:

If you don't have a hand me down scout shirt program for your ward, you  could suggest to the scout leaders to start one.  It amounts to having an announcement in the bulletin every couple of weeks or months or all the time if there's room asking for families to donate no longer used scout shirts to the ward.  Then they get stuck in the scout closet and handed out as needed with a requirement to turn them back in when done or moving.  If scouting ends, then maybe someone can sell the collection on eBay and donate the funds to YM.

Edited by Calm

Maidservant    736

Generally forever, our scouts in our community have gotten their Eagle when they were 13 anyway.  (Because I think that is related to scouting and not varsity.)  If they didn't, they never did, unless they did it 10 minutes before they turned 18 and it was usually a "mom Eagle scout" award really.

Bernard Gui    3,785
24 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

Generally forever, our scouts in our community have gotten their Eagle when they were 13 anyway.  (Because I think that is related to scouting and not varsity.)  If they didn't, they never did, unless they did it 10 minutes before they turned 18 and it was usually a "mom Eagle scout" award really.

That's in the genetic material of 15-18 year old boys. My uncle Warren called it Fool's Hill.

bsjkki    1,044
2 hours ago, Maidservant said:

I have been told getting your Eagle at 13 is no longer possible but have not researched it. I encouraged developing a robust program to get the boys as far as possible before age 14 but my ward leadership was against it. Honestly, our youth program has struggled where I currently live and while boundary changes improved things the last few years, I had not realized until last night that we only had 1 deacon that comes to youth night. Our recent converts (who are deacons) have shown no interest in scouting activities. We have quite a few convert families and getting the boys involved in cubs and 11-year-olds has been a real challenge. 

Edited by bsjkki