Seriously No Politics ×

Creating a Zion culture

I was reading some comments from President Packer:

I mentioned earlier that the greatest hymns and anthems have not been composed, nor have the greatest illustrations been set down, nor the poems written, nor the paintings finished. When they are produced, who will produce them? Will it be the most talented and the most highly trained among us? I rather think it will not. They will be produced by those who are the most inspired among us. Inspiration can come to those whose talents are barely adequate, and their contribution will be felt for generations; and the Church and kingdom of God will move forward just a little more easily because they have been here.

Some of our most gifted people struggle to produce a work of art, hoping that it will be described by the world as masterpiece! monumental! epic! when in truth the simple, compelling theme of “I Am a Child of God” has moved and will move more souls to salvation than would such a work were they to succeed.

Quote from Orson F Whitney:

“We shall yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own. God’s ammunition is not exhausted. His highest spirits are held in reserve for the latter times. In God’s name and by His help we will build up a literature whose tops will touch the heaven, though its foundation may now be low on the earth.”

A poem of his:

Art thou in truth?
Then what of Him who bought thee with His blood?
Who plunged into devouring seas
And snatched thee from the flood,
Who bore for all our fallen race
What none but Him could bear—
That God who died that man might live
And endless glory share.
Of what avail thy vaunted strength
Apart from His vast might?
Pray that His light may pierce the gloom
That thou mayest see aright.
Men are as bubbles on the wave,
As leaves upon the tree,
Thou, captain of thy soul! Forsooth,
Who gave that place to thee?
Free will is thine—free agency,
To wield for right or wrong;
But thou must answer unto Him
To whom all souls belong.
Bend to the dust that “head unbowed,”
Small part of life’s great whole,
And see in Him and Him alone,
The captain of thy soul.

(“The Soul’s Captain”)

Been reading this:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1976/08/the-arts-and-the-spirit-of-the-lord?lang=eng

8 hours ago, Maidservant said:

I write and I breathe.  And sometimes I forget to breathe.  Anything written I have done and can do--novels, short stories, poems, plays, screenplays. I blog. I can create graphic arts.  I will be doing some abstracts regarding the womb this week and next .  (Yes, you read that right.)  I do a black and white with marker kind of 'painting', although I can do it in color too.  I compose and arrange music, or I can (piano and voice). 

The Miraculous MessSMALLER.png

!!!

10 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

...Do we really see this as a part of our calling to create?

I've been trying my hand at poetry and music lately. I don't think I'm very good yet. But maybe I can bless someone with it. I only have one poem/song that I like

Have any of you created pieces of art, culture etc? How have you created? Care to share any?

Some nonfiction. A wee bit of historical fiction. An occasional screenplay.

Anything of value related to the Restoration that I have created or co-created is online for free viewing (see profile) - including a non-fiction sequel which is available via FaceBook for free viewing.  In the process of writing a new nonfiction work slowly...creating it online this time.

Last week, I used a few hours to suggest tweaks to someone's nascent play (a brother's). (He does musicals lately.)

My father wrote reams of poems.

My mother has done visual art.

Would love to see more that others have created. Might be fun to see a virtual art show together with collaboration from others. Easy enough to stage.

5 hours ago, Jeanne said:

That poem...I "liked" it...on the arrows there...but actually..I loved it!!  

I have written many poems that reflect my emotions, and the emotions of others, as well as doctrinal issues. I wish I could take credit, but it is God who inspired them, that an and an emphatic nature. But I give all glory to God, as I lack the education or ability to do so on my own, without the aid of heaven. I used to sell them in LDS bookstores, but due to the internet few remain.

27 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I have written many poems that reflect my emotions, and the emotions of others, as well as doctrinal issues. I wish I could take credit, but it is God who inspired them, that an and an emphatic nature. But I give all glory to God, as I lack the education or ability to do so on my own, without the aid of heaven. I used to sell them in LDS bookstores, but due to the internet few remain.

It is a gift that God gave to be able to put words to those emotions that belong to you.  It is only fitting that you share as a partner with God.  Your humility and gratitude is the only requirement God needs in return..He surely has it. 

20 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I'm thinking culture as in music, theatre, literature, poetry etc. We are blessed with the Spirit of the Lord. Those among us with gifts could do much to inspire others. Do we really see this as a part of our calling to create?

I've been trying my hand at poetry and music lately. I don't think I'm very good yet. But maybe I can bless someone with it. I only have one poem/song that I like

Have any of you created pieces of art, culture etc? How have you created? Care to share any?

Yes, I see creation in the arts as part of our  calling. I've known that for a while though. In my PB it explicitly states as much. It states that I'll enjoy/participate in the "good things of," then names several things like poetry, good books, and the arts. Then it states that I'll be "particularly talented artistically."  So artistic and creative expression was important enough for it to be ascribed as part of my divine nature. Obviously it's based on my willingness to live up to it. Still, it has always been a gentle reminder that God knew me, as the patriarch certainly didn't. Because art has always come naturally to me. 

I generally paint nowadays. I've gotten into sketching nudes and figures in general again. What I create is like a mental and spiritual diary. It helps me imprint ideas. I purposely try to paint as many minority figures as possible as a means to represent POC as active partakers of a long/universal spiritual heritage. 

Here's one that I have on my phone right now. I'll post a couple more in a minute

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

It is a gift that God gave to be able to put words to those emotions that belong to you.  It is only fitting that you share as a partner with God.  Your humility and gratitude is the only requirement God needs in return..He surely has it. 

This format, that will not allow single space makes posting of poetry difficult anyway.

I used to write poetry a lot. Then I realized I didn't like reading poetry and it seemed wrong to keep writing it if I didn't appreciate when others wrote it, so I haven't written any in a long time.

I'm in the process of starting a blog. I've felt directed to do it,  but the technical part has bogged me down for a long time.  I finally decided once the kids were back in school I would jump on it again. I can't believe how much has been going on since then.  Car problems, medical stuff, calling has suddenly picked up (a calling where things come and go), schedule change and getting everyone where they need to be etc. Hopefully someday soon I can share it with you.

7 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

Where are you running into a hiccup?

Just the whole set up. I have done blogs before where it was just an easy set up and I want expecting much from them, but want to do things a little better with this. I actually bought a domain name last year which will be expiring this month so I am anxious to get it going. Debating on who to use for hosting, whether to use WordPress etc. I just need a good block of time to work on it when no one is home and I keep running into problems with that. 

7 hours ago, Rain said:

Just the whole set up. I have done blogs before where it was just an easy set up and I want expecting much from them, but want to do things a little better with this. I actually bought a domain name last year which will be expiring this month so I am anxious to get it going. Debating on who to use for hosting, whether to use WordPress etc. I just need a good block of time to work on it when no one is home and I keep running into problems with that. 

I know that some use WordPress, but I completely dislike it. Poorly designed (completely counterintuitive for some of what should be the simplest of modifications). Would recommend considering some other option.

Edited by hagoth7