Seriously No Politics ×

Prayer Request from Houston Temple Presidency

"We know that all of our temple workers are very concerned about the storm and its effect on the temple and the citizens of this area. With the torrential rains, the Cypress Creek has risen about 20 feet and water is now at the level of the front fountain of the temple. The ancillary building has already taken on some water with this flood. As you are probably aware, the forecast is for more rain in the coming days.
Although we do not think that the temple itself is in any imminent danger, we feel that it would be appropriate to invite our temple family to unite our faith and prayers as we send a special petition to the Lord to stay the rain enough that the waters might start to subside.

I think that's a worthy prayer endeavor. The LDS Huston Temple is in the Cypress area and Cypress Creek has been overflowing. That's the creek nearest to my house as well. So far we're dry and I pray the Tempe will remain the same. From the pictures I've seen online I thought it already was.  

Temple Presidency Asks for Prayers for Texas Temple as Grounds Flood During Hurricane Harvey (+ Photos)

Edited by Darren10
42 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I guess I don't understand the logic in asking God to stay the storm that He has full control over.

And with tens of thousands of people in danger of losing everything they own, including their lives and the lives of their families, I would feel odd making a special petition to God to save a single vacant structure that doesn't actually house anyone and can no doubt be rebuilt.

The only way I could see such a prayer making sense is if the Temple doors had been thrown open and the surrounding citizens had been invited in to seek refuge from the storm, and the poorest and most helpless in Houston were sheltered there as a last resort.  But I'll go out on a limb and guess that that didn't happen.

I admit this was my reaction too.   I don't think I'd feel comfortable praying for the temple to be protected when people are losing their homes. Though I understand that I could certainly pray for both, and it's not like God would have to choose which prayer to answer. I would still feel weird about it though. 

57 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I guess I don't understand the logic in asking God to stay the storm that He has full control over.

And with tens of thousands of people in danger of losing everything they own, including their lives and the lives of their families, I would feel odd making a special petition to God to save a single vacant structure that doesn't actually house anyone and can no doubt be rebuilt.

The only way I could see such a prayer making sense is if the Temple doors had been thrown open and the surrounding citizens had been invited in to seek refuge from the storm, and the poorest and most helpless in Houston were sheltered there as a last resort.  But I'll go out on a limb and guess that that didn't happen.

So they could come into a flooded building, from their own flooded buildings?

Great idea.

Update from the newsroom. http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/latter-day-saints-prepare-hurricane-harvey 

Rising floodwater as a result of Hurricane Harvey has breached the Houston Texas Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to the temple president.

“The creek became a river and the current is so strong that it’s been dangerous to even try and approach the temple," said Marshall Hayes, president of the Houston Texas Temple. He said nearby Cyprus Creek rose by more than 20 feet.

“It appears water to the depth of four or five inches has gone inside the temple.” said President Hayes. “That includes a baptistry, a marriage waiting room, dressing rooms, kitchen and laundry. We haven’t been able to go inside so we really don’t know the extent of the damage.”

Edited by bsjkki

I am praying for everyone and everything in Houston at this point including the temple. It looked like the city was going to get a reprieve in the next few days a few hours ago but now it is looking bad again. If the reservoirs fail catastrophically the death toll could easily reach five figures. I do not want to be alarmist and this is worst case(well actually six figures would be worst case but less likely) and it may not get that bad but it is a possibility.

Basically I am saying pray for relief for everyone and everything in the city including the temple. :( 

Edited by The Nehor
2 hours ago, cinepro said:

You do understand that prayers don't usually take a long time to say and that several causes can be asked for during the same prayer. To pray for the temple as just one of many issues might take what?   20 seconds out of your daily recitations. Of course, I'm sure the temple president meant that one's prayers should focus EXCLUSIVELY on the temple. :wacko:

Stay the water for the temple and the water gets stayed everywhere else, right?  I am assuming that is how it would work, though I may be wrong.

Perhaps he assumed everyone was already praying for the more endangered areas and just wanted to call attention to the needs of their area that people may have assumed were safe because they were last year...but it didn't come across all that well.  I am going to assume he is stressed and not being able to go inside and see may be making him obsess too much about that.  He may be using his temple duties to distract himself from other worries.  

Edited by Calm

Are we to assume people in Huston weren't praying in advance of the storm? In which case, on what basis can one expect prayers to be more effective after it? And as cinepro makes the point, why pray to the deity that sent you the hurricane in the first place? I have an idea, instead of praying send a small donation to the relief agencies working on the ground in Huston (if you donate to the Church humanitarian fund it won't necessarily get to Texas as the Church reserves the right to spend your donations how it sees fit. I'm not saying don't donate to the Church humanitarian fund by the way. Just that if you specifically want to help Texas, there are better organisations to send it to).

Edited by Marginal Gains
4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

A temple is ill-suited to long-term habitation compared to a residence.

But quite well suited, it would seem, as a stand-in for what certain people seem to think of the Saints.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
58 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

But quite well suited, it would seem, for those who enjoy taking cheap potshots at the Saints.

I don't think it is a cheap potshot to say that water in the Houston temple should be the least of anyone's concerns right now.  It is an uninhabited building. Everything in there can be replaced.  It will be expensive sure but that seems like a very small concern while people are losing their homes.

6 hours ago, Calm said:

Stay the water for the temple and the water gets stayed everywhere else, right?  I am assuming that is how it would work, though I may be wrong.

Perhaps he assumed everyone was already praying for the more endangered areas and just wanted to call attention to the needs of their area that people may have assumed were safe because they were last year...but it didn't come across all that well.  I am going to assume he is stressed and not being able to go inside and see may be making him obsess too much about that.  He may be using his temple duties to distract himself from other worries.  

Maybe he was thinking of the flood last year where the temple was "miraculously" saved?

www.ldsliving.com/Photo-Temple-Grounds-Flood-After-Major-Storms-in-Texas-Temple-Remains-Miraculously-Untouched/s/81896

The rains and flooding are going to happen no matter how hard we pray for them to stop. What we should pray for is the ability and strength to endure it and for a successful recovery from the effects of the flooding. 

10 hours ago, cinepro said:

I think by the prayer of faith we recognize God's hand in all things, including our desire tor rescue -- not exactly a logical proposition in the first place. And I'm sure this isn't the sole petition on the minds of those putting their faith into making or entertaining this request.

It can be said, I suppose, to be logical to not oblige the request to pray, to pick your own interests as the subjects of prayer, and to deem any such exercise silly and selfish. But a Cecil B. DeMille / Frank Capra miracle, logical? Oh-kaaaayyyy.... :)

11 hours ago, cinepro said:

I prayed for everyone in Houston - that they may be able to return home within a week, and that God will be able to use the prayers for abatement of rain and assistance to show his love and protection towards those who love and seek after Him in such a way that some will be touched, and see His love, and want to come to know him.

4 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

My daughter and her husband live about 2 miles east of the temple. My wife flew down there last week because my daughter had surgery on her foot and needs help with their 10-month-old daughter. Thursday and Friday, they took in two small children whose mother, my daughter's friend from her ward, had a baby Thursday. I'm glad my wife was there to help take care of the children, as my daughter cannot walk. Saturday morning, ward members came over to the house and carried their furniture upstairs. By 4 pm water was coming into the house, so they called the ward "task force," who sent kayaks and a raft to get them out, for which I am very grateful. They had to climb out through the windows. They are staying with their friends, so they have 5 children (including a newborn) and two moms recovering from surgery and childbirth. But they are all safe and dry. I can't imagine the mess at their house. I'm assuming their kitchen, laundry room, flooring, and car will be a total loss. But that's just stuff, and stuff can be replaced.

what the?  Who the?  Who invited you back?  ;)

Nice to see you.  I was wondering about jkwilliams not long ago.  I seem to recall you had lived in the Houston area at some point?  Hope your family stays safe. 

2 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

what the?  Who the?  Who invited you back?  ;)

Nice to see you.  I was wondering about jkwilliams not long ago.  I seem to recall you had lived in the Houston area at some point?  Hope your family stays safe. 

I was just thinking of people I knew in Houston and recalled that at least one or two people here live there. I'm glad everyone is safe, and thanks for the welcome.