Seriously No Politics ×

Can caffeine make you fat?

JAHS

Here's one for the Word of Wisdom:
"Coffee can feel like magic in the way it powers you through your mornings and offers a host of health benefits. But it’s not all good news: Your cup of joe could also change your taste perception, according to new research.
A study published in the Journal of Food Science found that caffeine affects receptors in the brain that decrease your ability to taste sweetness. This, in turn, could make you desire more sugar, researchers said.

To reach their results, the study authors split 107 participants up into two groups for a blind test. One group sampled decaffeinated coffee that was supplemented with 200 milligrams of caffeine (about what’s considered average for a strong cup of coffee) with sugar. The other group consumed just decaffeinated coffee with sugar. 

Both groups had the same amount of sugar added to their drinks, but volunteers in the caffeinated group rated their drinks as less sweet than those who had decaffeinated beverages. And those who felt their brew wasn’t as sweet may end up craving more sweetness later on, the authors theorized, based on previous research."

Your Coffee May Keep Your Brain From Recognizing Sugar

On 8/29/2017 at 3:45 PM, The Nehor said:

So obese LDS have even less excuse now? Not sure how this is cause to celebrate. ;) 

Would you stop with the obese stuff please? You talk about it a LOT. Twice in the last week alone and one of those times was about people going through a horrible time. I realize that this week I am especially sensitive, but seriously, you are being hurtful. 

Edited by Rain
44 minutes ago, Rain said:

Would you stop with the obese stuff please? You talk about it a LOT. Twice in the last week alone and one of those times was about people going through a horrible time. I realize that this week I am especially sensitive, but seriously, you are being hurtful. 

It was actually three times. This one, the one about people dying because they are hard to save, and my crack about what size of clothing they are short of.

I hate that for Americans weight is a taboo subject. It makes it 'hurtful' which is a thinly veiled attempt to shut down attempts to discuss the problem.

I will try not to make a habit of bringing it up.

16 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It was actually three times. This one, the one about people dying because they are hard to save, and my crack about what size of clothing they are short of.

I hate that for Americans weight is a taboo subject. It makes it 'hurtful' which is a thinly veiled attempt to shut down attempts to discuss the problem.

Weight is not a taboo subject for me. I am comfortable talking about it. I'm even ok being told I am obese when it comes as a statement of fact, though I know others are sensitive to that. If you want to start a thread discussing how to help those of us who are obese then I am all for that, especially if you can come up with something that can help me. It is jokes and judging I find hurtful. It is jokes and judging that make people sensitive about discussions of weight.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 12:09 PM, thesometimesaint said:

Before I joined the Church I tried drinking coffee. By the time I  put in enough cream and sugar to make its taste acceptable. I was better off just drinking the cream and sugar.

Yeah, I've had 4 cups in my life (all 4 prior to joining the Church) and I had to cool it off and add tons of sugar - which told me I really wanted a Coke anyway.

Giving up coffee when I joined the Church was no problem for me at all.

Edited by mnn727
On 9/1/2017 at 8:09 AM, The Nehor said:

Well, I'm obese, and if someone were to point at me and laugh about my size (and this happens, though rarely) I would be annoyed. But, speaking for myself alone, I would not be hurt. If someone were to attempt to shame me by saying something like "Wow, you're really fat, you know?", I'd be annoyed, but might reply: "What was your first clue, Sherlock?" or "Oh? Really? Clever observation there, Captain Obvious!"  

Can I lose about 100 pounds? I suppose so, although all my attempts to get started so far have run aground on the shoals of lack of dedication. After my late wife passed away, I was secretly hoping my obesity would result in my quickly following her. But apparently, the Lord has other plans. 

Yes! I could lose half my bulk and be merely slim.  Until that occurs, however, I am an "obese LDS"!  And I drink caffeinated drinks, too! Perhaps that is the key.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:45 PM, The Nehor said:

So obese LDS have even less excuse now? Not sure how this is cause to celebrate. ;) 

One Thanksgiving, my Father in Law poked me in the side at the dinner table and said, with family around the table "You should lose some of that weight.  We're all concerned about you."  I replied "Actually, I'm worried about you." One of the great life lessons is learning how to be polite and give advice when it's asked for. 

My Father in Law is about 5'2" tall and weighs no more than 120 pounds soaking wet.  He has also been estranged from his large step daughter for over 40 years.  He will say things like "There's a fat one over there!" loud enough to be heard, and point.  Real classy guy.

I asked him "Have you ever struggled with your weight?"  "Never have, never will!" He said.  "You just need to push yourself away from the table."

I pointed out that he could eat twice as much as any of us, and not gain a pound if he wanted to.  I'm about 6'3 inches tall, 263 pounds.  My brothers are both about 5'10" and weigh about the same.  So there appears to be a hereditary component as well.  

It does pinch to hear it, as if we didn't know.  With all the things a person could talk about, I think such lack of class must reflect a less obvious challenge he is dealing with.  Pointing out other people's problems must bring him some relief.  But what a price to pay.  Estrangement.  It reminds me of "The Fool's Prayer" by Edward Rowland Sill:

• t_pic.gifHE royal feast was done; the King
    Sought some new sport to banish care, And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool, Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"  
  • The jester doffed his cap and bells, And stood the mocking court before; They could not see the bitter smile Behind the painted grin he wore.  
  • He bowed his head, and bent his knee Upon the Monarch's silken stool; His pleading voice arose: "O Lord, Be merciful to me, a fool!  
  • "No pity, Lord, could change the heart From red with wrong to white as wool; The rod must heal the sin: but Lord, Be merciful to me, a fool!  
  • "'T is not by guilt the onward sweep Of truth and right, O Lord, we stay; 'T is by our follies that so long We hold the earth from heaven away.  
  • "These clumsy feet, still in the mire, Go crushing blossoms without end; These hard, well-meaning hands we thrust Among the heart-strings of a friend.
  • "The ill-timed truth we might have kept-- Who knows how sharp it pierced and stung? The word we had not sense to say-- Who knows how grandly it had rung!  
  • "Our faults no tenderness should ask. The chastening stripes must cleanse them all; But for our blunders -- oh, in shame Before the eyes of heaven we fall.  
  • "Earth bears no balsam for mistakes; Men crown the knave, and scourge the tool That did his will; but Thou, O Lord, Be merciful to me, a fool!"  
  • The room was hushed; in silence rose The King, and sought his gardens cool, And walked apart, and murmured low, "Be merciful to me, a fool!"
Edited by Meerkat

Caffeine vs coffee - sometimes it's hard to disect the two.  I take caffeine pills - straight white pills.  No coffee, no sugar drinks, no 1000% vitamin B etc., just straight caffeine with no additives.  I've lostweight, function better, have the energy I need.  The pills are a small dose... if you need it, it's available without being laced with sugar etc.  Just sayin...

It is the only way I take it too.  I cut the pill into quarters, it is all I need.  No jitters or sweats at that level.

However, it can still lead a big crash at night if I am not careful.

I still only take it when I have to function with a headache that isn't touched by anything else or drive with limited sleep.  I prefer to take it easy otherwise.