Seriously No Politics ×

Would you Believe It?? Fog!!

I couldn't believe it... after several days of lovely, sunny mornings here in Lincoln City on the central Oregon coast, when I woke up I jumped up, threw open the shades to see what kind of morning awaited us on this Eclipse Day, and what did I see... FOG!!  Down-to-the-ground pea soup fog... can't tell you how disappointing it was.  Tens of thousands of visitors had made their way here from far and wide to experience the very first glimpse as the Line of "Totality" made landfall here on our continent.  Our local communities had been preparing for months... hotels had been fully booked, emergency services were well prepared... all was ready to just enjoy the show... We were prepared for everything except control of weather... But, while it wasn't great on the coast, just a few miles inland the skies were clear and thousands of visitors did enjoy an awesome experience... to a person, when interviewed by TV crews, without exception visitors said it was well worth it to experience the total Eclipse.  Even to those here on the coast such as myself, it was an awesome experience, fog or no fog...

I watched the Eclipse on TV as I stood by my big windows and experienced the light turning to dark of night as the moon completely covered the sun, and slowly back to light again.  I confess I cried... with unexpected emotions of awe... later, watching the live coverage from various valley locations like Salem, I was not surprised to hear others say they cried, including the announcers... for it was awesome... I probably won't live to see another, but I'll always remember this one...

from the beach...GG

I'm glad that, fog notwithstanding, it was a good experience.

Best to you, My Dear. :D 

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I cannot read that. Maybe I stared at the eclipse for too long.

LOL!! 

I was by myself and was going to just watch on TV all the different areas of the world and then at the last minute I jumped up and took a cereal box and quickly made my own viewing mechanism since I didn't have the glasses. I ran out and caught it just in time, but enjoyed so much looking at the ground and seeing it through the shadows of the tree leaves.

I didn't cry during but after. I so wanted to make the trip to Idaho and kept at my husband that we should go. But I guess it wasn't any big deal, or that's what I keep telling myself. 

BTW, I've heard two different facts. That the last one was 99 years ago, or the last one was in 1979. I do remember being in elementary and watching one, looking in a box or something. I guess there are a variety of eclipses?

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

LOL!! 

I was by myself and was going to just watch on TV all the different areas of the world and then at the last minute I jumped up and took a cereal box and quickly made my own viewing mechanism since I didn't have the glasses. I ran out and caught it just in time, but enjoyed so much looking at the ground and seeing it through the shadows of the tree leaves.

I didn't cry during but after. I so wanted to make the trip to Idaho and kept at my husband that we should go. But I guess it wasn't any big deal, or that's what I keep telling myself. 

BTW, I've heard two different facts. That the last one was 99 years ago, or the last one was in 1979. I do remember being in elementary and watching one, looking in a box or something. I guess there are a variety of eclipses?

Total eclipse, which we had today, completely block the sun over a narrow area. An annular one blocks the sun but because of the relative positions of the earth, moon, and sun the moon is not big enough to block it and there is a ring of fire around the moon when it passes in front of the sun. Then there are partial eclipses which obscure part of the sun. Most of these are not noticeable. Total eclipses are the ones most people talk about.

There was a total eclipse in 1979 that went through Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. I am guessing the other one is the 1918 one which I believe was the last one to travel east to west over the entire continental United States like this one did today.

Next total eclipse is in 2024 which will go from Texas up to the Northeastern states. The next one crossing over the whole continental US again is in 2045.

Total eclipses are not that rare but quite a few are only visible on the ocean and they are spread out across the globe so having one in your area is rare.

Unfortunately this eclipse does not seem to have heralded the end of day. :(   Maybe next time. Fingers crossed.

21 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I couldn't believe it... after several days of lovely, sunny mornings here in Lincoln City on the central Oregon coast, when I woke up I jumped up, threw open the shades to see what kind of morning awaited us on this Eclipse Day, and what did I see... FOG!!  Down-to-the-ground pea soup fog... can't tell you how disappointing it was. 

from the beach...GG

This has happened many times here in the sunny South, only to have thick cloud cover for so many other celestial events. I wanted so much to get up to North Georgia, or Tenn, but due tomorrow bad back, camping or sleeping in car overnight was out of the question. Then about two hours before the eclipse and only because a friend talked about being in Blairsville, that my wife and I remembered that we have a nephew who lives just outside there. He has had so many health problems, and lately due to his wife being in a nursing home, and him there daily. He would have "LOVED", the company. So there was such an opportunity missed to see the event, and to lift his spirits said since he left the lives far away from all his family and friends. 

On 8/21/2017 at 0:58 PM, Garden Girl said:

I couldn't believe it... after several days of lovely, sunny mornings here in Lincoln City on the central Oregon coast, when I woke up I jumped up, threw open the shades to see what kind of morning awaited us on this Eclipse Day, and what did I see... FOG!!  Down-to-the-ground pea soup fog... can't tell you how disappointing it was.  Tens of thousands of visitors had made their way here from far and wide to experience the very first glimpse as the Line of "Totality" made landfall here on our continent.  Our local communities had been preparing for months... hotels had been fully booked, emergency services were well prepared... all was ready to just enjoy the show... We were prepared for everything except control of weather... But, while it wasn't great on the coast, just a few miles inland the skies were clear and thousands of visitors did enjoy an awesome experience... to a person, when interviewed by TV crews, without exception visitors said it was well worth it to experience the total Eclipse.  Even to those here on the coast such as myself, it was an awesome experience, fog or no fog...

I watched the Eclipse on TV as I stood by my big windows and experienced the light turning to dark of night as the moon completely covered the sun, and slowly back to light again.  I confess I cried... with unexpected emotions of awe... later, watching the live coverage from various valley locations like Salem, I was not surprised to hear others say they cried, including the announcers... for it was awesome... I probably won't live to see another, but I'll always remember this one...

from the beach...GG

So sorry to hear that! :-( 

On 8/21/2017 at 8:20 PM, Tacenda said:

LOL!! 

The 99 years ago eclipse was like this one, crossing the entire continental US. The one in 1979 didn't do that. I was in Washington state for that one, but it was partly cloudy that day and the eclipse happened underneath a cloud.

15 hours ago, Stargazer said:

The 99 years ago eclipse was like this one, crossing the entire continental US. The one in 1979 didn't do that. I was in Washington state for that one, but it was partly cloudy that day and the eclipse happened underneath a cloud.

Thanks!