Seriously No Politics ×

The Church is growing so fast...

3 minutes ago, Calm said:

The 90s Book of Mormon Institute manual dropped, iirc, to about a fourth of the size.  I gave mine (I had donated it to our ward library, but no one checked it out) to a guy that was just disgusted with the newer one and happened to see my copy when visiting our ward and begged it off of me.  By then I was using online stuff (which was why it was in the ward library) more, so I passed it on.

If we are talking about including Institute manuals for polygamy, I can check the one used prior to the Church History in the Fullness of Times (used in 70s and 80s).  Let me know.

I thought it got much better. I had my old ones for all the institute manuals from the early 90's I'd picked up on my mission. But in my "get rid of as many paper books as possible" phase I traded them to a used bookstore. 

Archive.org has a ton of manuals, but it seems like they won't download them due to unknown issues. I guess it at least gives you the author and general topic and title. 

So you end up having to eventually go to the Special Collections at BYU which has most of the manuals or the equivalent at the Church History Library. But then you end up having to spend a few days manually checking them all and scanning in the relevant pages. I certainly no longer have that kind of time. 

Alas I had hopes someone had them scanned in. Even Google Books doesn't have them for some reason.

On 9/20/2017 at 7:59 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me -- a malaise of sorts.

A few years ago, the author and educator Gilbert Scharffs, who was an occasional poster here, commented here on how there was definitely a feeling of malaise in Germany, especially towards religion and God, primarily as a result of the last world war, and in East Germany as fallout over a feeling of how the substitute religion of communism had failed the people. A lot of trust had been lost.

Gilbert passed away in 2015, by the way.

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

A few years ago, the author and educator Gilbert Scharffs, who was an occasional poster here, commented here on how there was definitely a feeling of malaise in Germany, especially towards religion and God, primarily as a result of the last world war, and in East Germany as fallout over a feeling of how the substitute religion of communism had failed the people. A lot of trust had been lost.

Gilbert passed away in 2015, by the way.

This is perhaps true for christianity but not for islam. Devote muslims who may practice islamism is rather common in germany.

19 hours ago, why me said:

This is perhaps true for christianity but not for islam. Devote muslims who may practice islamism is rather common in germany.

Those are almost all recent imports from the Middle East, and not affected by WW2 or Communism.

15 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Those are almost all recent imports from the Middle East, and not affected by WW2 or Communism.

That's right. And many are very devote. And it is predicted that in a few years, Islam will be the dominant faith in europe, replacing christianity in many parts of europe. One can read about it in the book The Strange Death of Europe by douglas murray. However, I am referring mainly to islamism and not islam. And if this is true, what place will mormoms have in europe with a prophet on par with mohammed? Also, islam, like christianity is a metanarrative. Christianity's metanarrative has been under attack in the west for a number of years now. But lslam and its metanarrative will remain out of bounds for critics. And mormonism also being a metanarrative with a truth claim is also under attack now. Why? because certain people do not like the metanarrative that it contains. Thus, the church is suffering from these attacks.

Edited by why me

There was a lot of activity in the Middle East during WW2:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_and_Middle_East_theatre_of_World_War_II

WW1 had a massive amount of death in the Ottoman Empire.

There has been other conflicts resulting in death as well:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_conflicts_in_the_Middle_East

Edited by Calm