Seriously No Politics ×

Sunday appropriate getting-to-know-you games

bluebell

Does anyone know any Sunday appropriate getting-to-know-you games that would work in YWs?  We're getting a new presidency on Sunday and I thought it would be fun to spend some time for the adults and youth to get to know each other a little bit better.

List several things people may have experienced via their church membership? These may include "I have read the Book of Mormon" or "I have or plan to serve a mission". You can even make it more fun and state, "I did not want to or do not want to go to BYU". Have each person go around and present the,selves to each other and ask which things they habe in common. They may sign their name or initials on the common things they have experienced. 

i do this all the time in Gospel Principles class. I ask questions like

Favourite movie

least favourite movie

ever met anyone famous?

are you related to anyone famous?

oldest item you or your family owns

if you could meet anybody famous, dead or alive, who would it be?

who were you named after?

farthest away from home you've been

The answers i've gotten over the years continue to astound and amaze! Someone lived next door to Billy Joel, someone's dad met Madonna in the Calgary airport, Fabio sat next to them in a movie theatre, someone was named after a TV character, someone talked to hockey's Guy Lafleur on the phone, etc.

Oops, my post above doesn't have good ideas for Sunday! I like the ones Duncan and Darren have shared. I wish we did this in our ward for the adults, I feel like I don't know a soul anymore because we have all new move in's and half our old ward either moved away and they split our ward. 

One thing I do remember in Relief Society is we passed around a basket. Someone would put together some inexpensive small items in a basket that they collected according to what the recipient likes. So the person starts it out by calling the recipient's family member or significant other and asks them questions or get to know questions. Then the person gathers a couple of things pertaining to that and puts them in the basket. Then come time, gets up and reads the answers as clues. Then the class tries to guess who it is. But remember when they called a family member they told them not to tell that they are doing this. So the person that it's about, will be surprised. This may take several weeks to cover all of the class. I believe then, that the recipient will take the basket and list of phone numbers and names that have not had it and repeat the process. Does this make sense bluebell? 

Edited by Tacenda
On August 17, 2017 at 0:22 PM, bluebell said:

Does anyone know any Sunday appropriate getting-to-know-you games that would work in YWs?  We're getting a new presidency on Sunday and I thought it would be fun to spend some time for the adults and youth to get to know each other a little bit better.

We have monthly "Linger Longer" dinners as they are called. Reminds of a song by the "Cranberries". :)