Seriously No Politics ×

The Whitmer Family - were they previously Anabaptist?

Anyone here know about the early history of the Whitmer family, that were a great strength to Joseph in the earliest days of the Church? I have a specific question, and hope someone has the answer.https://www.lds.org/ensign/1979/08/the-whitmers-a-family-that-nourished-the-church?lang=eng

1/3 of the Three Witnesses was from that small, powerful, mustard-seed family. As were a full 1/2 of the Eight Witnesses.

My question: prior to aligning with Joseph and putting their shoulder to *that* wheel,  had the Whitmers been some variant of Anabaptist?

Edited by hagoth7

Of the six members who started the church on April 6, 1830, how many of them were Whitmers?

And the church was formed that day *in* Peter Whitmer's home.

A home I had the privilege to visit many years ago, on a rapid trip through NE America.

Who were those pot stirrers? What was their faith prior to meeting Oliver and Joseph?

Edited by hagoth7

Hmm. And Sarah Whitmer, the matriarch of the family who bore much of the brunt of the stress of extra people in her home, received an unexpected visitor - who pulled the plates from hiding, and reassured/strengthened/blessed her for being stalwart. The family later referred to him as "Brother Nephi."

So six out of twelve witnesses were Whitmers. Stout, stalwart elves.

??!!!

Who are/were they? What was their background? And what became of them and their descendants?

Edited by hagoth7
5 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

Anyone here know about the early history of the Whitmer family, that were a great strength to Joseph in the earliest days of the Church? I have a specific question, and hope someone has the answer.https://www.lds.org/ensign/1979/08/the-whitmers-a-family-that-nourished-the-church?lang=eng

1/3 of the Three Witnesses was from that small, powerful, mustard-seed family. As were a full 1/2 of the Eight Witnesses.

Yes, and Oliver Cowdery married Elizabeth Whitmer.

5 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

Of the six members who started the church on April 6, 1830, how many of them were Whitmers?

And the church was formed that day *in* Peter Whitmer's home.

It is more likely that the Church was organized that day 25 miles away in the Joseph Smith Sr home out on Stafford Road in Manchester township, and that the baptisms that day were done in nearby Crooked Brook (Hathaway Creek).  None of the Whitmers were baptized that day.  Book of Commandments chapters 17-22 were all received at Manchester on April 6, 1830, and the Evening & Morning Star repeatedly stated in 1833 that the Church had been organized in Manchester. The Whitmers were probably baptized on April 11 and 18.  For a full discussion, see https://user.xmission.com/~research/mormonpdf/churchofchrist.pdf .