Seriously No Politics ×

Is service more effective than proselytizing directly?

Interesting bit in a recent Trib article about Mormon missionaries in Russia. Apparently some are finding that giving service is a more effective teaching tool than proselytizing. Could this be the way forward, beyond door knocking that doesn't really work and social media efforts that could probably be automated?

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5475820-155/mormonisms-russia-dilemma-how-to-grow

She and her companion volunteers spent the rest of their time doing humanitarian work, cleaning nursing homes and retirement centers. Once, they helped remodel a center for the blind.

Then a funny thing happened. Simply trying to be friends with people was more "effective," Warnick says, than formal proselytizing.

Because preaching was outlawed — except at the chapel itself — these youthful volunteers would just talk to people, many of whom wanted to know what the Americans were doing there and why they spoke the language so fluently.

They couldn't talk directly about their religion, so they would respond, "We are here for our church."

If their listeners posed specific follow-up questions — about, say, the name of the church and its beliefs — the volunteers were allowed to provide short answers.

Many Russians thought "we were cool Americans," Warnick recalls fondly. "They were more willing to talk to us, so we got to know them on a more normal basis. It was a lot more natural."

Pitching LDS doctrine and the Book of Mormon, with its account of Christ coming to the Americas, to strangers on the street or on a doorstep was, frankly, awkward.

Imagine, if the roles were reversed, meeting a pair of conservatively dressed 20-somethings from Russia on a U.S. street or doorstep who had a "weird accent" and trying to give you a book about a Jesus sighting in their country, she says. "We'd think they should go back to Russia and we'd stay away."

40 minutes ago, Gray said:

Interesting bit in a recent Trib article about Mormon missionaries in Russia. Apparently some are finding that giving service is a more effective teaching tool than proselytizing. Could this be the way forward, beyond door knocking that doesn't really work and social media efforts that could probably be automated?

I think service by missionaries is certainly an important part of their toolbox, especially where formal proselyting beyond the chapel setting is outlawed.

Reading the whole article, it doesn't appear to be a very successful method given that the convert rate has fallen.

Service has a place, of course, but I am personally very uncomfortable with service rendered with an ulterior motive.

I agree with USU78 and Alan, I think that balance is hard to find though. You want to give service and you want to teach people, you don't want to give service and get taken advantage of but neither do people want to give opportunities for service with strings attached, so how to find that balance though, I dunno!

The Church was testing that in 3 missions, one of which was here in Dallas. 

I have not heard the results, but our missionaries are now doing both now, more service that what they did in the past, but not 100% like they were for a while.

52 minutes ago, Alan said:

Reading the whole article, it doesn't appear to be a very successful method given that the convert rate has fallen.

Service has a place, of course, but I am personally very uncomfortable with service rendered with an ulterior motive.

Not in favor of ulterior motives.  But sincere service, low key, IMHO could be very effective.

I believe the Church has lost its way to some extent.  The sell sell sell approach is not working.  We need to have schools where there is a need.  Working with other organizations (or our own where applicable) to help the poor is a high visibility activity that can lead to converts because of the selfless example.  All one has to do is be there.

Edited by mrmarklin

I really do wonder the results if Mormon missionaries went out to serve people rather than preach to people.  The news would get out.  People might look to them for help.  The local church would likely get involved.  People would trust the Church more, people would find more interest in what is driving this stuff.   I could see it as a really great thing.  The problem might be, though, service that is not needed.  I remember a couple of areas on my mission in which we did service.  It wasn't needed at all.  We went to a elementary school and played at recess with the kids because the teachers didn't want to stand outside, then we did art or music projects with them.  I mean it was kind of fun, but it wasn't really necessarily.  Probably better if parents stepped in a helped more, and teachers just stepped up to do it. 

9 minutes ago, Pete Ahlstrom said:

Service will only get you part way there if conversion is the goal. At a certain point you need to teach and challenge/invite in order to make the sale.

The 'Service' end was to make contact and start Gospel conversations, of course they taught also.

30 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I really do wonder the results if Mormon missionaries went out to serve people rather than preach to people.  The news would get out.  People might look to them for help.  The local church would likely get involved.  People would trust the Church more, people would find more interest in what is driving this stuff.   I could see it as a really great thing.  The problem might be, though, service that is not needed.  I remember a couple of areas on my mission in which we did service.  It wasn't needed at all.  We went to a elementary school and played at recess with the kids because the teachers didn't want to stand outside, then we did art or music projects with them.  I mean it was kind of fun, but it wasn't really necessarily.  Probably better if parents stepped in a helped more, and teachers just stepped up to do it. 

It takes some effort and planning to find really worthwhile service projects. Often we default to the easiest ones, like clean-up efforts. Habitat for Humanity could no doubt use help from the missionaries, though.

Many times in the midst of online anti-Mormon rants people would appear and interject to say "I knew a Mormon and he/she was so nice to me. They would go out of his or her way to help me". I think being charitable has a far more reaching affect in spreading the good word of the Restoration than does much higher dosages of proselytizing; though they are both needed.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Maybe giving service has inherent value for the giver as well as recipient.  Ulterior motives aside, do you think it possible that such giving might even become a habit, and that it might teach a powerful Gospel principle to the missionaries?  The LDS Church has many service missionaries worldwide, and I have never heard them return and complain about he experience.  I think that they obtained great personal satisfaction from it.  Am I wrong?

Seventh Day Adventists likewise have an extensive service and proselyting program worldwide, and are quite successful.  Is there something worthwhile to learn from that?

4 hours ago, USU78 said:

Ammon certainly thought so.

Upon reading the thread title, that was my first thought, as well.  Of course, even Ammon had a so-called "ulterior" motive.  (See Alma 17:24-25.)

18 hours ago, Gray said:

Depends a great deal, imo, on the culture.

Russians are highly suspicious of strangers, but very friendly once they get to know you in my experience.  No one would smile at us in stores or walking down the street.  Just blank faces.  Would not even try to help us talk or select what we were intent on buying.  Otoh, we had a Russian friend who pretty much held our hand throughout the time we were there.  Often giving up her Saturdays to take us shopping or sightseeing.

Service in the case of Russians would get past the automatic distrust.

Edited by Calm

A few years back there was a devastating flood  where many homes where damaged. Our Stake organized several busloads of volunteers to drive a couple of hours away to help in the cleanup and salvage. Everyone got muddy and smelly and a good time was had by all. The volunteers were given T shirts telling who they were. Strangers were impressed. The Ulterior motive? Service to those in need , and  perhaps the hope that if/when missionaries were seen in the future , that fewer doors were slammed . Dasterdly I know !

17 hours ago, Gray said:

Lookng for opportunities to serve was encouraged in my mission decades ago. Would imagine that was true of all missions. 

4 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

It seems strange that some don't realize preaching the gospel is service. When you serve to share the gospel it's hardly an ulterior motive because how is a desire to serve an ulterior motive for service?

It's not humanitarian service.

More importantly, to most people the missionaries are targeting, hearing a gospel message isn't going to feel like service to them. It's going to feel like an awkward attempt to get them to buy into something. That's certainly how it feels to me when people from other religions approach me to try to convert me.

Edited by Gray
4 hours ago, Alan said:

I have always had a problem with this.

I used to.

Last year, I had the privilege to serve alongside members of another amazing faith/congregation (the Genesis Project) who were laying the groundwork for a park in Utah County. And I proudly wore their jersey that day. Would gladly advertise for them.

And I still wear it loud and proud at times. The amazing pastor there ministered to me, and still ministers to others, in ways I can't quite fully put into words, but I'll try. That man of God shines a blazing light in the darkness. Lifting drooping hands /strengthening feeble knees.

During that time in my life, which without the ministry of people like that could otherwise have crushed me, I rotated among four different congregations, that one, an Anabaptist one, a Seventh-Day Adventist one, and on occasion I dared cross the threshhold of my llocal ward. Each visit provided me precisely what i needed to rebuild, and armor up. Halfling style.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. Very grateful to have been sent to and ministered to among that village.

Is service more important than proselyting? Two sides of the same coin. Those people/congregations provided both. As they said on my mission, people don't care what you know until they know that you care.

Edited by hagoth7
On 7/19/2017 at 8:00 AM, Gray said:

Adapt to what works best in local circumstances. In Phoenix I found that when working in dense Latino areas (I was Spanish speaking) going door to door in trailer parks and working with part member families and less active families was the best combo.

It sounds like service is the best in Russia. I imagine this might have something to do with the odd mix of atheism, Russian Orthodoxy, and mutual suspicion towards Western-based religions. Service is a way of fostering real trust in the community, which is the basis for any meaningful dialogue leading towards conversion.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:00 AM, Gray said:

Service, as a method of introducing the gospel to people, was effectively modeled by Christ and by others repeatedly in the scriptures.