Seriously No Politics ×

Statement re: Population Explosion in UT?

I live in CA. A sister in RS today said she has visited three different UT wards over the past month and in all three wards, a letter from "the Brethren" was read warning UT residents that there will be a huge influx of people and that they need to be prepared by storing food and other items.

This sister is a lovely person but frequently gets her facts wrong.  My husband is the bishop of our ward and has heard nothing of the sort, but again we would not be the target audience for the letter as described. Any UT posters care to shed some light on this? 

11 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

I live in CA. A sister in RS today said she has visited three different UT wards over the past month and in all three wards, a letter from "the Brethren" was read warning UT residents that there will be a huge influx of people and that they need to be prepared by storing food and other items.

This sister is a lovely person but frequently gets her facts wrong.  My husband is the bishop of our ward and has heard nothing of the sort, but again we would not be the target audience for the letter as described. Any UT posters care to shed some light on this? 

Have not heard anything but perhaps the San Andreas is about to go or even worse, Kim Jong Un has some "gifts" as he calls them for the people of California.

13 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

No, there's been nothing even close to this.

17 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

That makes no sense.  Why would an "influx" of people require food storage?  I've seen the supermarkets in Utah, and they are well stocked.  If the population in part of the state were to start to expand, I'm sure the grocery companies are capable of adjusting inventory to accommodate the increased demand.

3 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Any UT posters care to shed some light on this? 

No such announcement in the sacrament meeting I had the privilege of attending.

But based on your input, I'm gonna get a wee supply of at least one non-food-related item on your mere mention of wards and rumors of wards. (Seriously.)

Was  the 2nd such welcome nudge, as a 3rd played from MoTab as I reviewed your comment. Thank you. :0)

Edited by hagoth7
3 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

...there will be a huge influx of people...Any UT posters care to shed some light on this? 

...in whatever realm such a thing was said..it will be fulfilled. If I am part of such a realm, i hope to still be in the area when it happens....

Brings to mind this.

Edited by hagoth7
15 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

She may be confused by recent implementation of self-reliance classes in the Utah area.  Someone probably made a comment that we need to be ready if . . . and that easily suggestible sister transmogrified the comment into a prophecy.  Such things happen.

15 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Sounds like some refugees might be resettling and they may need the saints to share what they have in store with them?

Nothing like that in my ward in Utah County. We just had ward conference and the SP didn’t mention anything either. 

But, if you read some of the threads on LDSFF under Last Days (which I’ve done recently just for a kick), you’ll see some pretty wacked out ideas from some fellow LDS.  Some planet called Niburu is coming, Julie Rowe says we all need to prepare food storage and get ready to move to “tent cities”, the economy is on the verge of collapse, etc. 

14 hours ago, Calm said:

Checked with two wards in Utah Valley in areas of high growth.  Besides a typical preparedness lesson in one, nothing.

That was my first thought.  Utah Valley is kind of going through a population explosion if any area of Utah is.
If it's not happening there, I'd say this is fiction.

There is somewhat of a population "explosion" but that is mainly in comparison to the rest of the US, which has fairly anemic growth numbers. Utah is actually growing, and certain areas like my little town, have actually "exploded" with a growth of about 25% over the last 5 years.

There has recently been a re-emphasis on self-reliance and preparation as Robert says. However, no amount of self-reliance will prepare the Church for what is eventually coming - a probable restructuring of the United States. However, for the righteous of the Church this should not be an issue, since they will get translated.

I do believe I have legitimate concerns about the future of our government. It is on an unsustainable spending spree, and eventually that dam will burst or the waters drained. When that will happen or what that means for the country is unknown. However, simple arithmetic shows we are in trouble. Our current national debt is around 20,000,000,000,000 and when that is divided among about 100000000 taxpayers it leaves a debt of 200,000 for each to pay off. While on a per citizen basis that is much less, many citizens pay no taxes, but are children, retirees, or benefit recipients. Cities such as Chicago are heading for default, and with new "liberal" politicians have spent themselves into oblivion. It is just a matter of when the day of reckoning will come. Using the government to prop up the economy is not a long term solution. And here we see the left wanting to do more rather than less - government provided insurance, etc will fundamentally alter the nature of tax system and our country. God is allowing the Gentiles to set themselves up for a great fall... and we shouldn't be surprised since they no longer even give lip service to serving Him.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

She may be confused by recent implementation of self-reliance classes in the Utah area.  Someone probably made a comment that we need to be ready if . . . and that easily suggestible sister transmogrified the comment into a prophecy.  Such things happen.

Aha.  I'm guessing she heard something along these lines and "transmogrified" is a good word. This lady is definitely not a liar, but shall we say she doesn't always have good listening skills or good discrimination about sources of information, and then she tends to over-dramatize as well. I've quickly learned to take her statements with more than a few grains of salt. I was just curious about the actual story behind this statement she made. 

18 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

I heard an other mangled version of this where people in Idaho were being told to get their food storage ready because of the upcoming eclipse. It's hard to tell what's behind such mangled interpretations. I don't recall anything like that in my ward, although we end up missing more church than I'd like due to sick kids.

Cache Valley is getting bigger all the time..of course I wouldn't know about the wards...but basically there has been just a call out to the county for food pantries and stuff like that.  I work at Walmart and we give every morning meat, produce and our bakery products to Feed America.  Will ask around tomorrow to my LDS friends.  If this is legit, our bulk supplies and Macey's will be on the rise.

Edited by Jeanne
19 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Maybe they're confusing "the letter" with this report; "the Brethren" with the "Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute"; and "Utah" with "Utah County".