Seriously No Politics ×

wow question

Just now, Avatar4321 said:

have any general authorities commented about whether decaffeinated coffee violates the WoW? My gut says yes but I was curious if id be right.

Like I've mentioned before, my dad was given current TR status if he would switch to decaffeinated coffee. This so he could attend my temple marriage. 

20 minutes ago, Calm said:

If caffeine is not the reason coffee is included in the WoW as has been clarified by church leadership, there is no logical reason that decaffeinated coffee would be okay while nondecaf was not.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-news--getting-it-right-august-29

I think my dear bishop just wanted my dad to be able to attend. I remember how far this bishop drove to attend my wedding because we didn't do it in my temple district. And he barely missed getting in. :(

Edited by Tacenda

Considering how there is nothing outside of medical advice on avoiding decaffeinated coffee on LDS.org, including one New Era saying they were going to deal with the question, but didn't, I am of the opinion they are leaving it up to local leaders to decide.

But I don't have access to Handbook 1 so I may be wrong.

Edited by Calm
5 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Should Postum be classified as a prohibited hot drink?

I love postum far more than coffee.  We drank it in our home..but no coke or pepsi..go figure!

6 hours ago, Calm said:

Considering how there is nothing outside of medical advice on avoiding decaffeinated coffee on LDS.org, including one New Era saying they were going to deal with the question, but didn't, I am of the opinion they are leaving it up to local leaders to decide.

But I don't have access to Handbook 1 so I may be wrong.

Handbook 2 21.3.11

"The only official interpretation of “hot drinks” (D&C 89:9) in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early Church leaders that the term “hot drinks” means tea and coffee."

The exact same thing is in Handbook 1

If I were conducting a temple recommend interview and the member asked me if drinking diet-coke was in keeping with the word of wisdom I would say yes and move on to the next question.

If they asked about their coffee drinking; whether hot, cold, decaff, or whatever, I'd say let's talk to the bishop.

Edited by ksfisher
edited for clarity

Hot drinks means hot drinks.  Any interpretation not given by revelatory means is just speculation or opinion.

Iced coffee or iced tea are not in the Word of Wisdom in any sense.  Caffeine is not in the Word of Wisdom unless considered a drug against the mild herb rule.

Hot coffee, hot tea (even decaf) would be hot drinks.  But so would cocoa, herbal tea, possum, Pero/Caro, etc.  And don't get me started on the definition of "strong drink" when the section was given.

Obedience is still required to those in authority over us.

8 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Hot drinks means hot drinks.  Any interpretation not given by revelatory means is just speculation or opinion.

Iced coffee or iced tea are not in the Word of Wisdom in any sense.  Caffeine is not in the Word of Wisdom unless considered a drug against the mild herb rule.

Hot coffee, hot tea (even decaf) would be hot drinks.  But so would cocoa, herbal tea, possum, Pero/Caro, etc.  And don't get me started on the definition of "strong drink" when the section was given.

Obedience is still required to those in authority over us.

Luckily, that's not you. B:)

Edited by mnn727
4 hours ago, mnn727 said:

They are brewed hot.

Not always.  My iced coffee is never made hot first.

8 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Jawohl, mein Fuhrer.

4 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Luckily, that's not you. B:)

Funny guys.
Obedience to our priesthood head is an eternal principle and you know it.

4 hours ago, ksfisher said:

It sounds like you're committed to obeying priesthood leaders but you're not committed to believing them.

In what way am I not believing them?
Because they provide interpretation of the WoW not in the revelation nor any other revelation?  Yeah, that's called their opinions.