Seriously No Politics ×

Smoke pot = lose IQ points

JAHS

"An LDS Church statement says more research on the benefits and risks of medical marijuana is necessary before it is approved for use by patients.The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement Wednesday in response to questions about a proposal that would put an initiative legalizing medical marijuana on the Utah ballot in 2018.
Lawmakers across the country have wrestled with whether to legalize the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes," LDS Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said in a statement. "This discussion raises legitimate questions regarding the benefits and risks of legalizing a drug that has not gone through the well-established and rigorous process to prove its effectiveness and safety.
The difficulties of attempting to legalize a drug at the state level that is illegal under Federal law cannot be overstated," Hawkins said. "Accordingly, we believe that society is best served by requiring marijuana to go through further research and the FDA approval process that all other drugs must go through before they are prescribed to patients.
The letter noted that a growing number of scientific studies show that marijuana use disrupts brain development, according to a review of the literature published by the American Psychological Association. Findings suggest structural and functional brain changes, and one decades-long longitudinal study showed an average loss of six IQ points among persistent users, similar to damage from exposure to lead."

LDS Church calls for more study of medical marijuana

I agree that if you are going to call it a drug it needs to go through the FDA approval process.

4 hours ago, JAHS said:

The letter noted that a growing number of scientific studies show that marijuana use disrupts brain development, according to a review of the literature published by the American Psychological Association. Findings suggest structural and functional brain changes, and one decades-long longitudinal study showed an average loss of six IQ points among persistent users, similar to damage from exposure to lead."

FYI - The first study they referenced has been replicated.... except this time they controlled for alcohol consumption (not done in the study the church cites).  There was no statistical difference in the later study.  The IQ study was countered recently with evidence from a twin study which showed no link between marijuana use and IQ after for accounting for familial and environmental issues.  The truth is that the kind of studies that would allow researchers to definitively demonstrate the effect of marijuana on IQ or on any brain changes is not possible under the current federal regulations.  Likewise, the ability to conduct research on the effects of different cannabinoids on various illnesses and ailments is limited.  There are serious obstacles for researchers who wish to study these plant compounds.

There is a lot of good research out there that shows the potential of this plant.  And there are studies out there that suggest negative consequences to the misuse of cannabis.  Unfortunately, many people and groups cherry pick the studies that agree with their previously held beliefs.  The plant needs to be removed from schedule 1 and opened up for research.  IMO - The justification for maintaining the cannabis prohibition is suspect and needs to be re-evaluated.

cacheman

24 minutes ago, cacheman said:

FYI - The first study they referenced has been replicated.... except this time they controlled for alcohol consumption (not done in the study the church cites).  There was no statistical difference in the later study.  The IQ study was countered recently with evidence from a twin study which showed no link between marijuana use and IQ after for accounting for familial and environmental issues. 

Do you have links to the two studies you've cited here?

4 hours ago, Gray said:

Whatever the risks, it appears to be MUCH less risky than current opioid based drugs to treat symptoms that can be effectively treated using medical marijuana.

2 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Marijuana has its uses, particularly for glaucoma and cancer patients. Getting study drug, and monies from the Feds is near impossible at best.

Yes, and with an anti-science FDA now in place we can expect only a glacial pace of drug-approvals, if at all.  IQ loss is a developmental problem for young brains, not for the oldsters who have major problems with the pain & nausea caused by cancer and chemotherapy, which THC can often relieve with no risk. We are a country which is hamstrung by illogical and ideological notions preventing common-sense solutions to problems.

And, no, I have never used marijuana, or any other illegal drugs, but see no harm in allowing physicians to have a better option than just prescribing opioids.  Indeed, the high death rate from opioid abuse is a direct result of idiotic governmental drug policies which have been a total failure for a half-century now.  Isn't it about time we tried something different?

1 hour ago, deli_llama said:

Does anyone know if leadership has ever sat down and talked with members who are currently using medical cannabis?  

Physician Gregory Schwitzer, chairman of the Church Missionary Department Health Services said,  
"In states where the medicinal use of marijuana is approved legally and given under the guidance of a licensed physician, the church has no position. The use of medicinal marijuana can be a great blessing to individuals who are suffering with these diseases in which other treatments have failed,"

So the church doesn't have any objections at least to medical use of marijuana, but it does takes a position against recreational use of it. Under the right circumstances I don't think a member would lose their temple recommend if they are using it as prescribed by their doctor.

Elder Russell M. Nelson said that he and Elder Jay Jensen were at a priesthood leadership meeting in Colorado Springs and were asked about their position on medical marijuana. Elder Jensen said he answered the question by saying that bishops are judges in Israel and have scriptures and handbooks and can counsel with individual, discuss the Word of Wisdom, and decide between them and the Lord. The church does not have a position on medical marijuana.( http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865663872/Whats-in-the-leaked-videos-of-meetings-with-senior-LDS-Church-leaders.html )

5 hours ago, deli_llama said:

Does anyone know if leadership has ever sat down and talked with members who are currently using medical cannabis? 

The Univ of Utah Clinical Neurosciences Center has been conducting a medical trial of Cannibidiol (CBD) on epileptic children to prevent seizures.  Cannabinoids seem to calm the overactive brain.

The Lancet, March 2016,

Almost a third of patients with epilepsy have a treatment-resistant form, which is associated with severe morbidity and increased mortality. Cannabis-based treatments for epilepsy have generated much interest, but scientific data are scarce. We aimed to establish whether addition of cannabidiol to existing anti-epileptic regimens would be safe, tolerated, and efficacious in children and young adults with treatment-resistant epilepsy.

Our findings suggest that cannabidiol might reduce seizure frequency and might have an adequate safety profile in children and young adults with highly treatment-resistant epilepsy. Randomised controlled trials are warranted to characterise the safety profile and true efficacy of this compound.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1474442215003798 .

Edited by Robert F. Smith
17 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, and with an anti-science FDA now in place we can expect only a glacial pace of drug-approvals, if at all.  IQ loss is a developmental problem for young brains, not for the oldsters who have major problems with the pain & nausea caused by cancer and chemotherapy, which THC can often relieve with no risk. We are a country which is hamstrung by illogical and ideological notions preventing common-sense solutions to problems.

And, no, I have never used marijuana, or any other illegal drugs, but see no harm in allowing physicians to have a better option than just prescribing opioids.  Indeed, the high death rate from opioid abuse is a direct result of idiotic governmental drug policies which have been a total failure for a half-century now.  Isn't it about time we tried something different?

It wasn't the FDA that outlawed the use of Marijuana.

I recently had a severe injury that left me in great pain for 6 months (they finally were able to alleviate it with surgery at about the 4 month point) However those first 4 months prior to my surgery, had I had access to medical marijuana I would have used it - no question. As it was I was taking 8-14 opioid pain pills a day. Of course once they finally decided surgery was the answer and finally did it, I was hooked on pain pills. I am finally down to 0 or 1 a day now.(I still have about 20% of the pain I had at the peak)

Edited by mnn727
6 hours ago, mnn727 said:

I recently had a severe injury that left me in great pain for 6 months (they finally were able to alleviate it with surgery at about the 4 month point) However those first 4 months prior to my surgery, had I had access to medical marijuana I would have used it - no question. As it was I was taking 8-14 opioid pain pills a day. Of course once they finally decided surgery was the answer and finally did it, I was hooked on pain pills. I am finally down to 0 or 1 a day now.(I still have about 20% of the pain I had at the peak)

My husband was in severe pain also at one time, and wanted to just end it, like take his life. If it would have been available, like the gummies/ chewable cannabis, he would done it, I've no doubt. It's the most natural.

23 hours ago, JAHS said:

Physician Gregory Schwitzer, chairman of the Church Missionary Department Health Services said,  
"In states where the medicinal use of marijuana is approved legally and given under the guidance of a licensed physician, the church has no position. The use of medicinal marijuana can be a great blessing to individuals who are suffering with these diseases in which other treatments have failed,"

So the church doesn't have any objections at least to medical use of marijuana, but it does takes a position against recreational use of it. Under the right circumstances I don't think a member would lose their temple recommend if they are using it as prescribed by their doctor.

Elder Russell M. Nelson said that he and Elder Jay Jensen were at a priesthood leadership meeting in Colorado Springs and were asked about their position on medical marijuana. Elder Jensen said he answered the question by saying that bishops are judges in Israel and have scriptures and handbooks and can counsel with individual, discuss the Word of Wisdom, and decide between them and the Lord. The church does not have a position on medical marijuana.( http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865663872/Whats-in-the-leaked-videos-of-meetings-with-senior-LDS-Church-leaders.html )

Thank you, I was aware of most of this, minus the link to the leaks. I will check it out. 

I was asking specifically if they had worked with, or at least conversed with, those that are currently using it medically. There could be some value in reaching out and taking face to face with those that made the tough choice to pursue the various treatments medical cannabis offers. 

I will check into the leaks and see if anything along those lines was mentioned. 

Thank you again. 

19 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The Univ of Utah Clinical Neurosciences Center has been conducting a medical trial of Cannibidiol (CBD) on epileptic children to prevent seizures.  Cannabinoids seem to calm the overactive brain.

(Why doesn't this grab your whole post as a quote? Anyways...)

Thanks for the post.  I have been using medical cannabis to treat seizures for six, almost seven years now. Once high CBD strains became more common and available I completely moved to them. There have been times where I experienced onset, but I have not had a seizure since I changed to this treatment. The difference, in my case, is night and day. It is only  anecdotal, and not a sound research study, but it has successfully worked for me. I hope the leaders are paying attention as the studies are coming in. 

12 minutes ago, deli_llama said:

Thank you, I was aware of most of this, minus the link to the leaks. I will check it out. 

I was asking specifically if they had worked with, or at least conversed with, those that are currently using it medically. There could be some value in reaching out and taking face to face with those that made the tough choice to pursue the various treatments medical cannabis offers. 

I will check into the leaks and see if anything along those lines was mentioned. 

Thank you again. 

I think they would pretty much leave it up to the local leadership to work with the members on this. That's really all that is necessary. IMO.

On 6/29/2017 at 7:00 PM, strappinglad said:

Unfortunately , getting a script for medical marijuana is , in many cases, a joke. Got cancer? sure. Got glaucoma? sure. Got a painful hangnail? sure, no problem.

That is an unfortunate attitude. I agree that there are places and cases that might be along lines similar to what you express, but my health care providers throughout several states and years take it seriously, including a complete work ups, all the testing, MRIs, and so on.  Every. Single. Time. Speaking so broadly will also tend to paint those of us that take this seriously with the same dismissive brush. Please be a little more generous in your thoughts, and consider how it might make others that are swimming upstream with the medical cannabis and church culture situation feel. What you just said gets old.  

Edited by deli_llama
14 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I think they would pretty much leave it up to the local leadership to work with the members on this. That's really all that is necessary. IMO.

My experience is that local leadership is awesome 

If there are going to place their thumbs and this political scale, then I would hope they (leadership) would look, not just at research and studies, but internally to what the members in these situations are experiencing. 

Edited by deli_llama
For clarity
8 hours ago, mnn727 said:

You aren't alone feeling that way. 

"Cannabis as a Substitute for Opioid-Based Pain Medication: Patient Self-Report"

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2017.0012

54 minutes ago, deli_llama said:

(Why doesn't this grab your whole post as a quote? Anyways...)

It leaves out quotes when quoting and only includes 'original material'....probably to avoid those complicated posts that end up having quotes within quotes ten or more deep.

Are there versions that leave out the loopiness but still help with pain?  I have heard it might be helpful with arthritis, but my mom is already suffering from dementia so until she is in supervised living (hopefully never), anything that might add to confusion isn't on the list.

10 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

It wasn't the FDA that outlawed the use of Marijuana.

No, but then no one has made that claim.  What is being suggested is that only the FDA can test and approve it for medical use.  That is not going to happen with an ideological and anti-science FDA.  Nor will those committed to half-a-century of failed drug policy make any changes in federal law.