Seriously No Politics ×

UN says world population will reach 9.8 billion in 2050

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/the_associated_press-un_says_world_population_will_reach_98_billion_in-ap .

The report by the Department of Economic and Social Affairs' Population Division forecasts that the current world population of nearly 7.6 billion will increase to 8.6 billion by 2030, 9.8 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100.

It said roughly 83 million people are added to the world's population every year and the upward trend is expected to continue even with a continuing decline in fertility rates, which have fallen steadily since the 1960s.

"The population in Africa is notable for its rapid rate of growth, and it is anticipated that over half of global population growth between now and 2050 will take place in that region," he said. "At the other extreme, it is expected that the population of Europe will, in fact, decline somewhat in the coming decades."

Nigeria, currently the world's seventh largest country, has the fastest growing population of the 10 most populous countries worldwide, and the report projects it will surpass the U.S. shortly before mid-century.

The new projections also forecast that China, which currently has 1.4 billion inhabitants, will be replaced as the world's most populous country around 2024 by India, which now has 1.3 billion inhabitants.

The report, titled "The World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision," said fertility has been declining in nearly all regions in recent years.

"Europe has the lowest fertility level, estimated at 1.6 births per woman in the most recent period, while Africa has the highest fertility, with around 4.7 births per woman," he said.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-08/us-fertility-rate-lowest-point-cdc-started-keeping-records-1909 ,

"US Fertility Rate At Lowest Point Since Records Began In 1909"

The US fertility rate fell again last year, marking the lowest rate of reproduction since the CDC started keeping records in 1909. This prompted the amusing Bloomberg headline, “Make America Mate Again.”

20170308_mate1.png

The above chart shows that in 2015, there were only 62.5 births per 1,000 women of childbearing age. That fertility rate dropped even further, touching 62.3 births per 1,000 women, in the first half of 2016.

Demographic Headwinds

To put the fertility rate in perspective, it is now at about 1.85 births per woman. To maintain a stable population requires at least 2.1 births per woman. The US has been at or below the replacement fertility rate since 1972, as the chart below shows.

20170308_mate3.png

Demographers worry that a dwindling birth rate will hurt economic growth and tax revenues needed to fund transfer payments to a growing elderly population. Some project that fertility rates will rise when the economy expands.

Edited by Robert F. Smith

The US is not the whole world. Even here we are limited. There is just so much land and resources available for farming and industrial activities.

Economic growth is not the long term cure. If everyone in the US were to live like a poor rural Indian then sure the US could support a population about that of India.

Ps. I've seen two children and I've seen 3 children. But I have never seen point 1 of a child.

Edited by thesometimesaint

Our society has begun to value careers, disposable income, and the accumulation of consumer goods more than children.  Children that were once seen as a blessing to a family are now coming to be viewed as burdens.  The trend will only continue as we become more self-centered.

Children were viewed as a economic asset to be exploited.

SEE Children as young as four years old worked long hours in factories under dangerous conditions. The practice of child labor continued throughout much of the Industrial Revolution until laws were eventually passed that made child labor illegal.

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

Our society has begun to value careers, disposable income, and the accumulation of consumer goods more than children.  Children that were once seen as a blessing to a family are now coming to be viewed as burdens.  The trend will only continue as we become more self-centered.

Then too, people are punished financially for getting married and having children.  The costs are huge.  Enlightened governments pass laws making such burdens lighter and encouraging marriage and family.  In democratic countries, the populace at large votes for legislators who make laws.  Thus, such people have no one to blame but themselves if their laws are anti-family.  People oddly vote against their own self-interest, and then complain that things are not going their way.  People pretty much get the government they deserve.

Nature has a way of leveling the field , usually in a most unpleasant way. Some internet 'priests ' have examined the goat entrails and foresee a mini ice age in which many crops will fail and people will starve worldwide . That reminds me, I should check on my 2 , I mean 1 year supply.

6 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Nature has a way of leveling the field , usually in a most unpleasant way. Some internet 'priests ' have examined the goat entrails and foresee a mini ice age in which many crops will fail and people will starve worldwide . That reminds me, I should check on my 2 , I mean 1 year supply.

There isn't going to be another Ice Age for a long time mini or other wise.

SEE https://skepticalscience.com/heading-into-new-little-ice-age-intermediate.htm

11 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Children were viewed as a economic asset to be exploited.

SEE Children as young as four years old worked long hours in factories under dangerous conditions. The practice of child labor continued throughout much of the Industrial Revolution until laws were eventually passed that made child labor illegal.

True, and it did not really end until he Depression. It ended less because of the ethics of the situation and more because eating children out of the work force and into school meant more adults got jobs and jobs had to pay more due to an increase in scarcity of labor.

11 hours ago, strappinglad said:

From your mouth to God's ear ! Humans ,animals, and plants don't do well in extreme cold, even though there are exceptions.

I don't have a problem with God. I do have problems with people who must posit their God or Godlike force onto science to make it work how they want. The fact is the our planet is getting warmer not colder.

On 6/23/2017 at 1:28 PM, bluebell said:

If you guys want to freak out about population numbers just read Dan Brown's last book "Inferno."  

I tried watching that movie and lost interest at the first, should have I continued?