Seriously No Politics ×

Gay Beehive Delivers Prepared Speech in F&T Meeting - Ends as Expected

Just now, stemelbow said:

Juliann said, "What in the WORLD gives you the right to call a young teen, a complete stranger,  a sinner??????????   "

You responded, "Sin is identified in scripture and teachings of prophets.  Those who commit those sins are sinners.  It's not an insult to recognize reality. "

I'm like. confused...I guess.  You continue:

But...you just called her a sinner, above.

Actually, no, I didn't.
I merely pointed out to Juliann that we have every right to recognize a sin when we see one.  At no time was that young girl called a sinner.

2 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Luckily that will change in the Church.  Hopefully sooner rather than later, of course.

I'm sure it will.  Then Christ will luckily change it and any other errors right back at his return.

1 minute ago, JLHPROF said:

Actually, no, I didn't.
I merely pointed out to Juliann that we have every right to recognize a sin when we see one.  At no time was that young girl called a sinner.

Alright so when Juliann asked "What in the WORLD gives you the right to call a young teen, a complete stranger,  a sinner??????????  "

You did not suggest there is a reason to call a young teen a complete stranger a sinner? 

Alright. 

I'm sure it will.  Then Christ will luckily change it and any other errors right back at his return.

Wow...you're sure?  Interesting.  I think it'll change too, but I think the change will be for the good. 

13 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Alright so when Juliann asked "What in the WORLD gives you the right to call a young teen, a complete stranger,  a sinner??????????  "

You did not suggest there is a reason to call a young teen a complete stranger a sinner?

I did not.
I suggested that we have a responsibility and therefore a right to recognize sin wherever we encounter it, be they young or old, familiar or a stranger.
I made no statement about that girl's personal sins whatsoever.  I have no idea if she has committed any sin in her life.  I've never met her.
But I and every other person since Adam and Eve ate the fruit are capable of knowing good from evil and recognizing sin.  And we have the right to do so.

Edited by JLHPROF
3 hours ago, cinepro said:

Another interesting chapter in Church history (or culture?) for the internet age:

I'm not sure that testimonies need to be written out beforehand.  We need to get up and bear our testimonies off the cuff.  My ward is very indulgent, even if someone has an opinion which is not generally shared.  We all need to listen carefully and make up our own minds.  I might hear some grousing afterward, but no one is told to sit down.  So, "ends as expected" is probably a bit much, cinepro.  I would have allowed her to finish her written comments, and counseled her later that it would be better to speak extemporaneously.  Otherwise, it tends to sound like a political statement.

I know of occasions in some other wards where political wars were fought during F&T, and church is just not the place for that.  In the ward in Tyler, Texas, for example, many years ago now, an off-duty law enforcement officer and a radical right-winger (both LDS) nearly came to blows during F&T meeting.  Church is just not the place for shouting and shoving matches.  Of course, Tyler is a volatile place.  However, that is no excuse.

2 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I am perfect just the way I am. God made me this way and loves me.  Is that a doctrine preached regularly ? True?False? partly true?

False except for the being loved part.

Edited by JLHPROF
4 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I am perfect just the way I am. God made me this way and loves me.  Is that a doctrine preached regularly ? True?False? partly true?

"I am perfect just the way I am" -- False.  Christ is perfect.  With His power/guidance/grace we are working in that direction.  It is a work in progress for all of us.

"God made me this way" -- Partially true.  God did make you, we also start off as fallen natural men, and we make changes to ourselves, as do other people/things.

"God... loves me" -- 100% True.  Always.

35 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Actually, no, I didn't.

I was responding to JaneDoe not you. And she did call her a sinner, although she has backed up a bit on that.

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

I realize that.  But conference is held to testify of Christ is it not? 

Yes, it is... and as I recall this past Gen Conf, that's exactly what it did... and it did not testify in any way that God created anyone to live outside his purposes... 

1st Cor 11:11 - 12... "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord."  

In all of nature... whether it be human, or animal, or even plant (based on my experience at the UCR Agricultural Experiment Station)... it takes male and female together to complete the whole (except for very few obscure species), and to create life for continuation of the species as we can see readily by our physiology.  IMO we don't understand what happens in the world of developing cells, chromosomes, etc that can obviously at some point impact that... I don't believe God has anything to do with it.   What I can do personally is to treat all persons in a Christlike manner, with respect and compassion, while maintaining my own testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  And this is what I did at San Fran St Univ where I had many good friends in the LBGT community.  I'm still in touch with several friends after 27 years of retirement... they're still gay and we're still friends...

GG

12 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

"God... loves me" -- 100% True.  Always.

Are you sure...?

While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional. The word does not appear in the scriptures. On the other hand, many verses affirm that the higher levels of love the Father and the Son feel for each of us—and certain divine blessings stemming from that love—are conditional.

==================================================================================================

Understanding that divine love and blessings are not truly “unconditional” can defend us against common fallacies such as these: “Since God’s love is unconditional, He will love me regardless …”; or “Since ‘God is love,’35 He will love me unconditionally, regardless …”

These arguments are used by anti-Christs to woo people with deception. Nehor, for example, promoted himself by teaching falsehoods: He “testified unto the people that all mankind should be saved at the last day, … for the Lord had created all men, … and, in the end, all men should have eternal life.36 Sadly, some of the people believed Nehor’s fallacious and unconditional concepts.

In contrast to Nehor’s teachings, divine love warns us that “wickedness never was happiness.”37 Jesus explains, “Come unto me and be ye saved; … except ye shall keep my commandments, … ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.”38

Divine Love, Russell M. Nelson

2 hours ago, stemelbow said:

Our individual sexual desire is a good part of us, not a bad part of us.

So, sexual attraction to children is a good part for those who are? Or a married person that is sexually attracted to others so strongly that he or she has extra-marital sexual flings on a regular basis?

For anyone who cares, just apply the logic that God made the pedophile a pedophile and God does not make mistakes to its logical conclusion. Or that God made the sex addict a sex addict to its logical conclusion. But what I expect to get is are emotional, indignant replies.

I have a lot of problems with the way this went down. The video recording of the affair is troubling. I imagine even those members posting here that had not heard of all of the details of Joseph Smith's polygamy and are having a faith crisis because of such have heard that taking pictures and videos in the church chapels is something that is not to be done. I do not know the details, but something is not right with this story.

Edited by Glenn101
1 minute ago, clarkgoble said:

You're equivocating between two senses. One is that love entails giving blessings and the other is the feeling towards someone. I love my children absolutely and without qualification yet simultaneously I will not given them everything they want or expect.

are you talking about Cinepro or Pres Neslon? 

Just now, Glenn101 said:

So, sexual attraction to children is a good part for those who are? Or a married person that is sexually attracted to others so strongly that he or she has extra-marital sexual flings on a regular basis?

Wait?
Are you saying some sexual attractions are good and some are bad?
If only we knew the purpose God had in mind for sexuality...

/sarcasm

1 minute ago, rockpond said:
  1. There are LGBT youth in the church.
  2. LGBT youth in the church are unlikely to stay "in the closet" regarding their LGBT-ness.
  3. LGBT youth have testimonies of the gospel and the Savior that are just as strong/real as their non-LGBT counterparts.
  4. Today's youth will be the leaders of the church in the 2020's and 2030's.
  5. The first four facts above make current Church policy challenging to sustain.

I agree with all this (except the bold part).  Clearly the testimonies are only of certain doctrines of the gospel while rejecting others.
But you are right on everything else.

3 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Savannah and her testimony are a symbol of several facts:

1. There are LGBT youth in the church.
  2. LGBT youth in the church are unlikely to stay "in the closet" regarding their LGBT-ness.
  3. LGBT youth have testimonies of the gospel and the Savior that are just as strong/real as their non-LGBT counterparts.
  4. Today's youth will be the leaders of the church in the 2020's and 2030's.
  5. The first four facts above make current Church policy challenging to sustain.

I think that's right although exactly what the solution is isn't terribly clear.

19 minutes ago, juliann said:

I was responding to JaneDoe not you. And she did call her a sinner, although she has backed up a bit on that.

No backing up: she is a sinner.  However, she is not a sinner especially because she's attracted to girls, as you misinterpreted my statement.  I'm also not denying that we are also all sinners.

2 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I agree with all this (except the bold part).  Clearly the testimonies are only of certain doctrines of the gospel while rejecting others.
But you are right on everything else.

I don't think that's fair. Many LGBT youth wish they weren't that way. Indeed dealing with it is what makes it so hard for many. But I bet that if there were a pill that would change things for them many would take it. (Many wouldn't of course -- but since there's no pill coming the question is moot)

Again I think you have to keep in mind that attraction is not the same as sinful action. That's just as true for LGBT as it is for heterosexual youth. The reality is that youth shouldn't be sexually active. The big problem is that for heterosexuals there's a clear path to having a meaningful, spiritual sexual life in the future. There appears to be no such clear path for gay youth. So it's understandable that they ask what God's plan for them is and it's tragic that we have no answer. 

1 minute ago, clarkgoble said:

You're equivocating between two senses. One is that love entails giving blessings and the other is the feeling towards someone. I love my children absolutely and without qualification yet simultaneously I will not given them everything they want or expect.

I think the sense she was using it in is pretty clear.  Love = acceptance:

- God loves me just this way, because I believe that he loves all his creations.

- I do believe he made me this way on purpose.

- I believe that if God is there, he knows I am perfect, just the way I am and would never ask me to live my life alone or with someone I am not attracted to.

As I mentioned before, this is just a clear example of the head-on collision course between the Church's policies, teachings and doctrines regarding "same-sex attraction" and the narrative presented by the world and gay people themselves.  Savannah said several things that are a total repudiation of current LDS teachings, policies and doctrines.

Also, you'll notice that President Nelson addresses both "love" and "blessings" separately.  The "love" itself is labeled as "conditional", not just the blessings that follow that love.

Heck, just look at the actual act of getting up in F&T meeting and saying those things.  Does the LDS conception of God present Him as the kind of being that would be looking down on that meeting (and Savannah's claims) from on high and being pleased?  Forget about the ward members who heard that speech.  Do you think Savannah's bold action was enough to change God's mind on the subject?