Seriously No Politics ×

Gay Beehive Delivers Prepared Speech in F&T Meeting - Ends as Expected

3 minutes ago, Gillebre said:

As someone who themselves is in the position of being attracted to their own gender, I know how this feels. I think it's important to have clear expectations and a sound understanding of what these feelings mean in relation to basic Gospel teachings and guidance from living Prophets. Entering into a same-sex marriage is an act of apostasy, a complete rejection of standards of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Those who decide to marry another of their own gender are always free to attend services and participate as much as they can, but they do not have the privilege of being members of the Church and receiving the blessings of that membership.

The truth is that most often this feels like an impossible decision to make. How do you choose between feelings that come to you as natural and fundamental as companionship, love, and the core teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ and the Gospel of Jesus Christ? It's a choice that everyone must make in one form or another. It's a choice I must make everyday, and the answer, in my experience so far, is this: Can I put everything else aside and simply hold onto every experience I've had that has taught me to trust my Savior? These are terrible burdens to bear, and there are other kinds of problems that other people must face having nothing to do with attractions. I can choose to lay down what I want, to put it aside, for the sake of my trust in Jesus Christ. He's my mentor and closest Friend, and I've learned to trust my spiritual instincts and intuition. This young woman will make the choice for her own life, and those who love her will have to make it also. No one should be treated or valued less because of how they feel or the way they choose to pursue their own happiness, but the Lord's standards are more clear than they've ever been: don't expect to stay a member of His Church, and receive the blessings thereof, if you choose to completely leave it's teachings behind by marrying someone of your own gender. 

We need an increase of compassion as the Savior had on every sinner He ministered to. We need peace in our hearts to live without a spirit of condemnation in these days where diversity of how one chooses to live is perhaps greater than ever before.

Beautiful testimony.  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

It's not appropriate to get up in sacrament meeting with a script to push an agenda that goes against the church.  The purpose of F&T meeting is to testify of Jesus Christ.  Who's recording it?  Her parents?  

I understand what you are saying and I respect that.  But in every General Conference..there is a script..and an agenda in the testifying of Jesus Christ.

The fella that put it up said on youtube about her Bishop "He's a good man and I personally don't believe he would've shut off her mic" so, it seems like leadership roulette then, sharing something with the wrong individual more than a case of anything else. 

2 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I understand what you are saying and I respect that.  But in every General Conference..there is a script..and an agenda in the testifying of Jesus Christ.

F&T meeting isn't for written talks.  I've seen people get up to give sermons and it's not the purpose of the meeting . 

1 minute ago, Rain said:

This wasn't just a testimony.  The fact that it was videoed tells that it was more.  And how many people have you seen write down their testimonies before bearing them for F&T meeting? In 49 years I have seen it all of once or maybe twice, but I can only remember the one time. This is not just a testimony.  It is a set up. THAT is what is heartbreaking - why would someone put a child in this position? (unless a friend was the one who videoed it and not an adult). 

I realize that this isn't a norm for testimony meetings..but what speaks out is the shutting down of a child..with a testimony!

6 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

It's sad people are so concerned about what's appropriate for F&T after seeing this.  I would try to go up right after jus to show my support and to offer some sound advice to the bishopric and stake counselor who was supposedly there

And your advice would be? 

19 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I agree.  Everyone knows we won't have freckles in the resurrection.  It's an adaptive mutation.

Well, how often are freckles connected to "sandy colored hair", the sign of a bad angel?

What saddens me is that this ward missed out on a loving opportunity.  Now..this girl will either grow up and grow with her own understanding with God and the church..or she will/can be shamed and go down that slippery path that leaves her outside..afraid..and hating herself.  For whatever reason she wrote all of this..and is taped..the church missed out and because of it..some ward teens are going to remember and some may walk away.

Just now, MorningStar said:

And your advice would be? 

Shutting down a child who is trying to express herself on open mic day, defying her expression and for the sake of keeping the meeting to what's appropriate is idiotic and cold.  If you have an issue let her give her piece and address with the family afterward, at the very least.  

Just now, Rain said:

You, know if I were in the audience I would have given her love afterwards as well.  There is no dichotomy in showing love and being concerned about what is appropriate. 

General conference is not F&T meeting.  

I realize that.  But conference is held to testify of Christ is it not? 

7 minutes ago, Rain said:

This wasn't just a testimony.  The fact that it was videoed tells that it was more.  And how many people have you seen write down their testimonies before bearing them for F&T meeting? In 49 years I have seen it all of once or maybe twice, but I can only remember the one time. This is not just a testimony.  It is a set up. THAT is what is heartbreaking - why would someone put a child in this position? (unless a friend was the one who videoed it and not an adult). 

I have seen people write down testimonies.  When I was in the bishopric, I would often make notes of the things I wanted to convey on the Sundays when I knew I would be bearing my testimony.  My notes were always heartfelt and done in the spirit of prayer.  Preparing ahead of time certainly doesn't mean that it isn't a true testimony.

I imagine that this was an important truth for this girl to share with her ward family.  She likely gave it much thought and prayer.  I bet she was scared and nervous -- clearly she had reason to be.  Just because a family member recorded such an important even doesn't mean that it was a "set up" or that someone put the child in that position.  I find that to be a baseless conclusion.

Just now, Jeanne said:

What saddens me is that this ward missed out on a loving opportunity.  Now..this girl will either grow up and grow with her own understanding with God and the church..or she will/can be shamed and go down that slippery path that leaves her outside..afraid..and hating herself.  For whatever reason she wrote all of this..and is taped..the church missed out and because of it..some ward teens are going to remember and some may walk away.

How would you even know this?  Seriously?  You saw a total of 4 minutes of what happened.