Seriously No Politics ×

Temple Construction ?

Duncan

Our area had the Temple groundbreaking in December and we were told that construction will begin in Feb. (why they planned a groundbreaking in Canada in Dec. and the construction in Feb is beyond me)but I digress,  anyways it's June and no construction has happened. I was wondering what happens in other areas with Temple construction, do they just start construction or do they announce when they will or how does the actual construction phase begin?

I think sometimes the building committee forgets that Canada /Winnipeg is 1000 miles NORTH of Utah. The church building I go to was built in 1939 and was designed for Florida, 12 inch thick solid concrete walls, no insulation. ( all is fixed now of course) . I'm close to the 49th parallel. Maybe the Church has a priority situation ( see Okras time lapse of the mission center construction)

46 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Our area had the Temple groundbreaking in December and we were told that construction will begin in Feb. (why they planned a groundbreaking in Canada in Dec. and the construction in Feb is beyond me)but I digress,  anyways it's June and no construction has happened. I was wondering what happens in other areas with Temple construction, do they just start construction or do they announce when they will or how does the actual construction phase begin?

Often people view construction as work above ground, has no underground or earth moving happened at all? 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Sometimes real delays occur, because local regulations and red tape prevent speedy progress -- sometimes for years.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
Just now, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Often people view construction as work above ground, has no underground or earth moving happened at all? 

nothing, when you go to the site all that's there is a construction vehicle blocking access to the one road going into it, it's not really accessible from the side

30 minutes ago, Duncan said:

nothing, when you go to the site all that's there is a construction vehicle blocking access to the one road going into it, it's not really accessible from the side

One thing I have a lot of experience with, (because for a number of years I worked in such gov't offices) is that persons, or the companies who speak of such dates and deadlines forget possible permitting problems. As a result, many contractors may have their portion of the permitting process done, but others such as road work, public utilities sign offs (because these are often other gov't agencies) and cannot proceed which puts everything on hold. Also many gov'ts hold project hostage, because zoning laws or requirements changed from the date of permit, to start times, or changes to the original building plans that are often submitted years before construction schedules. Also, some gov't hold jobs ransom for additional fees, such as "Impact Fees", related to water tie in's, fees for additional sewage fees, etc. The City of Atlanta, where I worked did things like this all the time. Once, it was so bad what my office did to a contractor, I got in a little trouble when it was found out that I followed the contractor into the elevator to apologize for the manner in which he was treated. 

Just now, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

One thing I have a lot of experience with, (because for a number of years I worked in such gov't offices) is that persons, or the companies who speak of such dates and deadlines forget possible permitting problems. As a result, many contractors may have their portion of the permitting process done, but others such as road work, public utilities sign offs (because these are often other gov't agencies) and cannot proceed which puts everything on hold. Also many gov'ts hold project hostage, because zoning laws or requirements changed from the date of permit, to start times, or changes to the original building plans that are often submitted years before construction schedules. Also, some gov't hold jobs ransom for additional fees, such as "Impact Fees", related to water tie in's, fees for additional sewage fees, etc. The City of Atlanta, where I worked did things like this all the time. Once, it was so bad what my office did to a contractor, I got in a little trouble when it was found out that I followed the contractor into the elevator to apologize for the manner in which he was treated. 

that's a lot to deal with! 

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

that's a lot to deal with! 

It is indeed the people who must approve a single "new building" permit are

Building

Heating and A/C

Plumbing (impact frees)

Electrical 

Roads (impact fees) 

Water (impact fees) 

Sewage (impact fees) 

Waste Management (impact fees) 

Run off permits to denote where "mud fences" must be placed to prevent runoff. (More impact fees) also if mud gets into the street and is reported, than heavy fines will be assessed) 

State, County or parish must get storm drains in first for runoff (impact fees here as well) 

All "sign permits, and plans." Where signs can or are required to be placed during construction, what size sign and what size letters, this also applies to the permanent signs for the Temple itself. 

Permits for the number and size of street lighting on public roads, and the size and max illumination on Temple grounds (impact fees for the cost of the street lights will cost over time)

Fence permit, where, how high, and type. 

Low Voltage permits for low voltage fire alarm system, sucurity alarms (decibel levels) security camera systems (to insure they cannot see beyond the fence) 

Then, you must get sigh off's from "Fire Dept, for potentiobal fires and  "First responders, fire and ambulance", and "Police", and must follow all their guidelines. Any group listed about can halt work at anytime for the most minor of infractions. 

Hope I did not leave anything out, my guess so things are happening from that list, since most things are behind closed doors. 

and Rescue" Police

Arborist (one of the first to begin, as permits my be obtained for the number of trees allowed to be cut) 

Impact Fees, for all off the above, is based on a rate for the type of building, since the Church builds building that are made to stand for 100's of years, then each fee would be for (month x years (decades or 100 years for each discipline listed).

35 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

It is indeed the people who must approve a single "new building" permit are

Building

Heating and A/C

Plumbing (impact frees)

Electrical 

Roads (impact fees) 

Water (impact fees) 

Sewage (impact fees) 

Waste Management (impact fees) 

Run off permits to denote where "mud fences" must be placed to prevent runoff. (More impact fees) also if mud gets into the street and is reported, than heavy fines will be assessed) 

State, County or parish must get storm drains in first for runoff (impact fees here as well) 

All "sign permits, and plans." Where signs can or are required to be placed during construction, what size sign and what size letters, this also applies to the permanent signs for the Temple itself. 

Permits for the number and size of street lighting on public roads, and the size and max illumination on Temple grounds (impact fees for the cost of the street lights will cost over time)

Fence permit, where, how high, and type. 

Low Voltage permits for low voltage fire alarm system, sucurity alarms (decibel levels) security camera systems (to insure they cannot see beyond the fence) 

Then, you must get sigh off's from "Fire Dept, for potentiobal fires and  "First responders, fire and ambulance", and "Police", and must follow all their guidelines. Any group listed about can halt work at anytime for the most minor of infractions. 

Hope I did not leave anything out, my guess so things are happening from that list, since most things are behind closed doors. 

and Rescue" Police

Arborist (one of the first to begin, as permits my be obtained for the number of trees allowed to be cut) 

Impact Fees, for all off the above, is based on a rate for the type of building, since the Church builds building that are made to stand for 100's of years, then each fee would be for (month x years (decades or 100 years for each discipline listed).

based on this I am not surprised it's taking longer than anticipated!

9 hours ago, Duncan said:

based on this I am not surprised it's taking longer than anticipated!

It is sad, when the Church makes announcements, they are doing so with the understanding that Gov't will act in good faith. But many Gov't's who find out that all Temples are paid in full, and realize that the Church has such deep pockets, it causes the wheels to start turning in their minds. On more than one occasion the Church has had to fight back and go to court. The Atlanta Temple ran into issues when Fulton country had to deal with angry voters when they saw the sign out front as to what was being built, when anti-Mormons found out it was not just a Church building. I remember well the picket signs and demonstrations that occurred out front, as my parents, wife, myself and two children were going through the tour or "open house". For the dedication my wife could not get out of work, so my daughter and I went to the dedication, and the protestors where still out front. But on that day, my daughter and I were in what was the cafeteria of the Temple watching on a monitor. When the hymn was being sung, "The Spirit of God", part way through the hymn, I suddenly heard the sound (as it seemed) thousands of people behind me, causing me to turn around, even though I knew there were only about 40 people behind me. It was in that moment in which I could hardly sing through my tears, the term relating to the Spirit and it's power, "even unto the consuming of my flesh", became known unto me. Afterwards a friend who was in the Celestial Room choir, said that he was crying so hard that he could not sing, and when he looked around it was the same with most, and yet he heard the same as I did, thousands or millions singing praises to the Lord. It is in times such as these, when I have doubts...I look back on that day and many more incredible Spiritual experiences that can draw from that deep well of belief, and know that despite the weakness of our leaders (as all have them) that this Church is true, and that this is the work of God. My heart aches for those who have never known such experiences, from which they can drawn to see them through the doubts all men, women and children have. I hope that as soon as possible, you may enter into the House of the Lord, in your area. 

1 hour ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

It is sad, when the Church makes announcements, they are doing so with the understanding that Gov't will act in good faith. But many Gov't's who find out that all Temples are paid in full, and realize that the Church has such deep pockets, it causes the wheels to start turning in their minds. On more than one occasion the Church has had to fight back and go to court. The Atlanta Temple ran into issues when Fulton country had to deal with angry voters when they saw the sign out front as to what was being built, when anti-Mormons found out it was not just a Church building. I remember well the picket signs and demonstrations that occurred out front, as my parents, wife, myself and two children were going through the tour or "open house". For the dedication my wife could not get out of work, so my daughter and I went to the dedication, and the protestors where still out front. But on that day, my daughter and I were in what was the cafeteria of the Temple watching on a monitor. When the hymn was being sung, "The Spirit of God", part way through the hymn, I suddenly heard the sound (as it seemed) thousands of people behind me, causing me to turn around, even though I knew there were only about 40 people behind me. It was in that moment in which I could hardly sing through my tears, the term relating to the Spirit and it's power, "even unto the consuming of my flesh", became known unto me. Afterwards a friend who was in the Celestial Room choir, said that he was crying so hard that he could not sing, and when he looked around it was the same with most, and yet he heard the same as I did, thousands or millions singing praises to the Lord. It is in times such as these, when I have doubts...I look back on that day and many more incredible Spiritual experiences that can draw from that deep well of belief, and know that despite the weakness of our leaders (as all have them) that this Church is true, and that this is the work of God. My heart aches for those who have never known such experiences, from which they can drawn to see them through the doubts all men, women and children have. I hope that as soon as possible, you may enter into the House of the Lord, in your area. 

That's a great memory, thank you!!!

9 hours ago, Duncan said:

That's a great memory, thank you!!!

You are so welcome, your thread reminded me of that incredible day; thank you for reminding me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 7:19 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Sometimes real delays occur, because local regulations and red tape prevent speedy progress -- sometimes for years.

Duncan... Like RFS says, many times there are local objections to various design components like height, or neighborhood impact, that have to go through legal studies, public hearings, etc. which can delay starting construction sometimes for months or years.

GG

11 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Duncan... Like RFS says, many times there are local objections to various design components like height, or neighborhood impact, that have to go through legal studies, public hearings, etc. which can delay starting construction sometimes for months or years.

GG

I like your comment but boo, if it's what's happening here. I'll keep people updated!