Seriously No Politics ×

Message from Megan Phelps-Roper

23 minutes ago, Valentinus said:

I completely agree. Her presentation is quite compelling.

I wasn't sure I was going to agree with the idea that the internet provides us with "time" during difficult conversations (sorry for the paraphrase--I'm sure she explained it better than that).  So often, the problem I see here and with the internet in general is that folks are responding with almost lightning speed.  There is almost no attempt to filter words; and this seems to perpetuate misunderstanding and escalate animosity.  But thinking about it now, I see that she's right:  The internet doesn't require us to respond to anything immediately; rather we can choose to slow down, take several deep breaths, re-think and re-write responses so that what we actually post has all the angry judgmental and inflammatory stuff expunged.

It's a very good message with lots to think about.  I needed it.

What is really telling are the signs they carry. GOD does not hate Israel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact GOD is realigning Israel. The truth is GOD doesn't hate gays. If He did, He wouldn't have died for them. Gay marriage is not respected by GOD, but Christ came to save those who are lost. If anything it would seem that this group played right into the hands of satan because it made "Christians" appear las hate mongers to the worldly and unchurched.

Edited by LittleNipper
13 hours ago, Valentinus said:

This message packs a punch. This is a punch that I accept that I need to embrace. Considering her background, she is definitely an authority on this subject matter.

Thanks for sharing.  I am inspired by her Jewish Twitter friends and how transformative their approach was towards Megan.

"Don't assume bad intent."  I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for her Jewish friends who were hearing messages of "God hates Jews", "Israel will burn" and "You're going to hell!".  Yet, they were somehow able to see through the aggressive and offensive words and see that Megan was a human being who sincerely believed that she was doing the right thing, and because of that, they were able to approach her in a calm, open, and even friendly way.  That is powerful.  If they didn't take the higher road by tempering their message with kindness and humor, they would probably be bitter enemies to this day.  There were a lot of other excellent points she made, but that one stood out to me as one I can work on. 

14 hours ago, Valentinus said:

This message packs a punch. This is a punch that I accept that I need to embrace. Considering her background, she is definitely an authority on this subject matter.

It'd be better if she discovered the true Church! It's amazing that anti-semitism still exists in Christian sects. I find that so sad.

2 hours ago, pogi said:

Thanks for sharing.  I am inspired by her Jewish Twitter friends and how transformative their approach was towards Megan.

"Don't assume bad intent."  I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for her Jewish friends who were hearing messages of "God hates Jews", "Israel will burn" and "You're going to hell!".  Yet, they were somehow able to see through the aggressive and offensive words and see that Megan was a human being who sincerely believed that she was doing the right thing, and because of that, they were able to approach her in a calm, open, and even friendly way.  That is powerful.  If they didn't take the higher road by tempering their message with kindness and humor, they would probably be bitter enemies to this day.  There were a lot of other excellent points she made, but that one stood out to me as one I can work on. 

So should Bernie Sanders go easy on bigoted Trump appointees -- who sincerely consign everyone else to Hell?

3 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

So should Bernie Sanders go easy on bigoted Trump appointees -- who sincerely consign everyone else to Hell?

It depends on what you mean by "go easy".  I don't think Megan's Jewish friends necessarily went "easy" on her.  They engaged her and asked her the tough questions, but they did it in a way void of animosity.  To react with equal and justified hostility has an all but certain and predictable outcome - more hostility, more hate, more divisiveness with little to no understanding.  But Megan's Jewish friends have shown us that there is another way...with a potentially different outcome.

...also, to be fair, Bernie Sanders rhetoric doesn't necessarily attract the friendly types either.  This guy was a volunteer for Bernie's campaign and belonged to a group called "Terminate the Republican Party".  I think we all as a nation need to cool-off a bit and apply some words of wisdom from Megan Phelps-Roper, or I only see things escalating in the future.  People hardly see other people as human any more.  

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44635813&nid=157&title=gunman-wounds-gop-lawmaker-then-killed-by-police

The irony is that this guy used a gun. 

Edited by pogi