Seriously No Politics ×

Update Time - What's everyone reading right now?

Every so often we get one of these threads.  Given that I just spent some time browsing the upcoming releases on Benchmark Book's site I am curious what people are reading right now and what they are looking forward to reading soon.

I am currently reading my first Arrington book - "From Quaker to Latter-Day Saint: Bishop Edwin D. Woolley" and ordered his "Building the City of God".

From the upcoming releases I am really interested in Anderson's "Salt Lake City School of the Prophets" minutes and I know several people eagerly waiting for Quinn's next volume.
And the Joseph Smith Papers volume on the Book of Abraham and Egyptian manuscripts will likely have people talking for months.

It is truly amazing how much information is out there.

So, what is everyone reading right now?

Margaret Barker's "The Lady in the Temple"

https://www.amazon.com/Mother-Lord-Lady-Temple-ebook/dp/B01HI8WAZ4/ref=la_B001IQWG34_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495086460&sr=1-8

I just finished "Understanding the Symbols, Covenants, and Ordinances of the Temple by Amy Hardison. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will likely read it again in the near future because there was a lot of info to absorb. 

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Symbols-Covenants-Ordinances-Temple-ebook/dp/B01F2Q0GNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495086701&sr=1-1&keywords=Amy+Hardison+temple

I'm reading three relevant books right now.  

John Turner's - The Mormon Jesus : A biography  (Well written, not a lot of new information so far, I'm only about 1/3rd through it, but very readable, this is my first book of Turner's, still need to read the Brigham bio.)

David Bokovoy's - Authoring the Old Testament (Reading this with my wife, a nice walk through the documentary hypothesis so far.)

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's - House full of Females (Reading this one chapter at a time as part of the Summer Book club for JI, I'm also finding this highly well written and interesting.  I think this may end up being one of the more influential books on Mormon Studies written in the past few years.)  http://juvenileinstructor.org/the-third-annual-ji-summer-book-club-a-house-full-of-females/

Thanks for the responses.  Some of these sound really interesting.  (I have a bit of a book addiction).
Thought I'd get more responses - I know everyone here is always reading.

And I agree, footnotes beat endnotes every time.

6 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

And I agree, footnotes beat endnotes every time.

When I was still editing an academic journal (until six months ago), we were under constant pressure from our publisher to switch to endnotes. It's less work for the typesetters, far more work for readers. We never capitulated, but who knows now?

I just finished How to Read the Bible by James L. Kugel, which was very good. I am currently reading two books, Natural Born Seer by Richard Van Wagoner and Joseph's Temples by Michael Homer.

9 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Thought I'd get more responses...

Most of my reading/research stack would likely be mistaken for secular and irrelevant. Rather than impose on others with the perhaps-boring, raw-materials processing behind the scenes, I'd best hold off and refer later to polished goods...published projects with obvious relevance to the Restoration.

Edited by probablyHagoth7

The Joseph Smith Papers, Documents, Volume 5: October 1835-January 1838
Hot off the press. I got my copy Monday, when I attended the event at the Church History Library where it was introduced. Covers the Kirtland, Ohio, period of Church history: dedication of the temple, acquisition of the mummies and papyri, establishment of the Kirtland Safety Society Bank, economic downturn and resulting in the bank's failure and the attendant dissension in the Church, acquisition of the mummies and the papyri.

Here's link to my story.

I have most of the JSP volumes that have been released so far, though it irks me that I don't have the volume that reproduces the printer's manuscript of the Book of Mormon.\

Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

The Joseph Smith Papers, Documents, Volume 5: October 1835-January 1838
Hot off the press. I got my copy Monday, when I attended the event at the Church History Library where it was introduced. Covers the Kirtland, Ohio, period of Church history: dedication of the temple, acquisition of the mummies and papyri, establishment of the Kirtland Safety Society Bank, economic downturn and resulting in the bank's failure and the attendant dissension in the Church, acquisition of the mummies and the papyri.

Here's link to my story.

I have most of the JSP volumes that have been released so far, though it irks me that I don't have the volume that reproduces the printer's manuscript of the Book of Mormon.\

not to be nosy but I am but there are spelling mistakes on the website with your link. When you click on the photos, for example photo 6/36 has 'dediication', 'nad', 'teh', 'Latter-day DAints' misspelled so the computer speller dept. may want to fix that^_^

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

not to be nosy but I am but there are spelling mistakes on the website with your link. When you click on the photos, for example photo 6/36 has 'dediication', 'nad', 'teh', 'Latter-day DAints' misspelled so the computer speller dept. may want to fix that^_^

"Coummunity's poo" had to be the worst though....

Edited by Calm
18 hours ago, Duncan said:

17 hours ago, Calm said:

"Coummunity's poo" had to be the worst though....

Hmm. I just checked it. Looks fine to me. ;)

Authoritarianism and Polarization in American Politics by Hetherington and Weiler.

A People's History of the United States by Zinn.

Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance by Chomsky.

Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism by Jacoby.

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Radical Right by Mayer.

On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Snyder.

Edited by Valentinus
On 5/26/2017 at 11:03 PM, Valentinus said:

Authoritarianism and Polarization in American Politics by Hetherington and Weiler.

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Radical Right by Mayer.

So just a little light reading.  ;)

On 5/26/2017 at 11:03 PM, Valentinus said:

Oh..I read all those last week!! Where ya been??:P

8 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I am reading "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood.

I have the audiobook and need to try to keep listening because I watched some episodes on Hula, free trial. But it got so bizarre. A FB friend recommended it. I'll try to keep listening. How do you like it so far? I like audio books, easier on my eyes. And Jeanne I know you probably have the opposite problem. 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I have the audiobook and need to try to keep listening because I watched some episodes on Hula, free trial. But it got so bizarre. A FB friend recommended it. I'll try to keep listening. How do you like it so far? I like audio books, easier on my eyes. And Jeanne I know you probably have the opposite problem. 

Scary..weird.  But the author is good in the way she uses her adjectives to describe and put a point across..What is crazy is the possibilty of something like this happening..people taking over..a new government..I know about the movie..(series)  making myself wait till I finish the book.  Thanks Tacenda..audio with my headphones would be good..but the story jumps around alot from present to past.I would be so confused!:)