Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robert F. Smith

Too Much Caffeine Can Kill

Recommended Posts

Robert F. Smith    10,905

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-collapses-dies-3-caffeinated-181620380.html .  A timely video explaining the dangers of excess caffeine consumption in the context of a boy who died in the classroom from excessive caffeine intake.  It is likely that he had no idea of the danger.

A link is not a topic for discussion. What is the topic question.

Share this post


Link to post
The Nehor    13,851

You can have my Mountain Dew when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Which according to this might be sooner than I had anticipated.

Share this post


Link to post
Meadowchik    1,535
13 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-collapses-dies-3-caffeinated-181620380.html .  A timely video explaining the dangers of excess caffeine consumption in the context of a boy who died in the classroom from excessive caffeine intake.  It is likely that he had no idea of the danger.

A link is not a topic for discussion. What is the topic question.

Too bad energy drinks are not prohibited in the WOW.

Share this post


Link to post
Gray    4,509

Energy drinks are a health hazard. Caffeine in coffee, soda and especially tea is in low enough doses that you can't really overdose (and in appropriate doses caffeine has health benefits). But energy drinks and pills are a different story. 

Edited by Gray

Share this post


Link to post
thesometimesaint    4,762

Too much caffeine in any form is a health hazard. Used with care and understanding yes it can help in drug delivery of medications. IE; Excedrin has caffeine in it.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Too bad energy drinks are not prohibited in the WOW.

I cannot for the life of me wonder why it is not. 

Share this post


Link to post
thesometimesaint    4,762
15 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I cannot for the life of me wonder why it is not. 

It is a slothful and unwise servant who must be commanded in all things.

Share this post


Link to post
strappinglad    2,020

We need a warning label on bottled water. Too much water can kill also.

Eg. " drinking 75 bottles of this liquid in an hour can cause serious health effects, not to mention all that running to the bathroom. " :o

Energy drinks do seem to be in a special category and deserve regulatory consideration, particularly for the young.

Edited by strappinglad

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

It is a slothful and unwise servant who must be commanded in all things.

Gee, thank you, using that scripture as a measuring rod, then why have any commandments. 

Share this post


Link to post
strappinglad    2,020
4 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Gee, thank you, using that scripture as a measuring rod, then why have any commandments. 

Probably because most of us are not very wise and a bit on the lazy side.

Share this post


Link to post
bluebell    14,863

They've released the autopsy's results and the dr. said that it wasn't the caffeine that killed him but the time frame in which he drank it.  He had a mcdonald's latte, a mountain dew, and an energy drink all within 2 hours.  This caused him to have a 'cardiac event' which killed him.

Share this post


Link to post
thesometimesaint    4,762

I view the commandments as rules of the road. They keep us safe, but can not control for every situation we find ourselves in. IE; We are not to bear false witness, but answering truthfully in all situations may kill you or others.

Share this post


Link to post
thesometimesaint    4,762
3 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Probably because most of us are not very wise and a bit on the lazy side.

That be true. :)

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Probably because most of us are not very wise and a bit on the lazy side.

True, which is why the Word of Wisdom is written for the weak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Calm    21,222
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

They've released the autopsy's results and the dr. said that it wasn't the caffeine that killed him but the time frame in which he drank it.  He had a mcdonald's latte, a mountain dew, and an energy drink all within 2 hours.  This caused him to have a 'cardiac event' which killed him.

That is like saying it's not the heroin that killed him, but the time frame in which they used it.  After all, if they had spread out the same amount of the drug over a month that they took in the overdose, they likely wouldn't have died.

(not arguing with you, but way the doctor presented the findings.

Share this post


Link to post
Calm    21,222

Actually it turns out I might be arguing with you or whatever led to the way you phrased that, lol.  "Caffeine induced" seems to me to be saying the caffeine killed him.

"The official cause of death for Davis Allen Cripe was a “caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia,” said Richland County Coroner Gary Watts. It was the result of the teen ingesting the caffeine from a large Diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonald’s and an energy drink over the course of about two hours, Watts said....Cripe’s official cause of death was ruled to be arrhythmia caused by the consumption of caffeine in the hours immediately prior to his collapse and death."

http://www.snopes.com/2017/05/16/caffeine-death/

Otoh:

"The autopsy showed no “unfounded” or “undiagnosed heart condition,” said Watts, who was careful not to call Davis’ death a caffeine overdose. He added that Davis had “a previous history of drinking” caffeinated beverages but nothing that his family considered to be an addiction.

“A cup of coffee, a can of soda isn’t going to cause this thing,” said Dr. Amy Durso, deputy chief medical examiner for Richland County. “It’s the amount and also the time frame in which these caffeinated beverages are consumed that can put you at risk.”"

I am not sure why this shouldn't be described as a "caffeine overdose" since overdose means too much over too little time.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/drug-overdose#1

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
Calm    21,222

 "This was not an overdose. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance," Watts said. "Our purpose here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be dangerous, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis."

Imo, this coroner has an idiosyncratic definition of overdose, which appears to require legal substances.  People die of accidental overdoses of legal substances all the time.  On the other hand, maybe he is avoiding the term "overdose" because it wasn't one substance or even one type of substance, but three different beverages that all happened to contain the same drug.  He might not have even been taking all three for the caffeine hit, but because the social interactions he was in led to the use.

I suspect he is going this direction to avoid the stigma usually attached to overdoses, which is either the person is doing something immoral and illegal (intentionally abusing drugs) or dangerously careless (parents being careless leaving dangerous substances such as iron supplements in the reach of children).

Personally I think it would be better to use the term "accidental overdose" to get kids to sit up and pay attention to the warnings.  But maybe he thinks that will cause kids to just be cautious about not taking large amounts of one thing and not pay attention to combinations,

If someone takes three different medications that all contain the same substance in its mix due to not getting proper medical oversight, do they call that an overdose or not?   I am heading off to the pharmacy and will ask my bosom buddies there (it is like the Cheers bar, everyone knows my name, lol).

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
Calm    21,222

Can you tell I am avoiding shopping?

Share this post


Link to post
JAHS    1,767
19 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:
On 5/18/2017 at 7:13 AM, Meadowchik said:

Too bad energy drinks are not prohibited in the WOW.

I cannot for the life of me wonder why it is not.

In my opinion anything that we may become addicted to or that can harm our bodies are things that God does not want us to take into our bodies and defile the temple.
On the other hand, if you are talking about what will keep us in good standing in the church and temple worthy, the main things described in the Word of Wisdom are things we must avoid. 

Share this post


Link to post
bluebell    14,863
2 hours ago, Calm said:

That is like saying it's not the heroin that killed him, but the time frame in which they used it.  After all, if they had spread out the same amount of the drug over a month that they took in the overdose, they likely wouldn't have died.

(not arguing with you, but way the doctor presented the findings.

I think it's the difference between a side effect of the drug killing someone, and the actual drug killing them.  They have been very clear in that the boy did not die from a caffeine overdose.  Maybe that's what they mean.

Share this post


Link to post
JAHS    1,767

I heard from another report that it was likely a combination of what he took in to his body along with what his body and heart could handle; not hat there were any known defects,but that his particular physiological makeup was just more susceptible to the combination of factors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Rain    3,223
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM, strappinglad said:

We need a warning label on bottled water. Too much water can kill also.

Eg. " drinking 75 bottles of this liquid in an hour can cause serious health effects, not to mention all that running to the bathroom. " :o

Energy drinks do seem to be in a special category and deserve regulatory consideration, particularly for the young.

You might like this facebook page. H2O

Share this post


Link to post
Robert F. Smith    10,905
On 5/18/2017 at 11:44 AM, thesometimesaint said:

Too much caffeine in any form is a health hazard. Used with care and understanding yes it can help in drug delivery of medications. IE; Excedrin has caffeine in it.

U.S. Navy medics used to give us APC tablets (aspirin, phenacetin, caffeine) as a cure-all for just about anything.

Share this post


Link to post
thesometimesaint    4,762

US Military medicine is some of the best in the world. Sick military personnel can't further the mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By BCSpace
       
      I've always considered caffeine to be a gateway drug.  Still do.  So while I realize that it's not specifically part of the WoW (the doctrine though is that habit forming substances are to be avoided), my family is being raised to be caffeine free in terms of soda pop.
       
      For those who would like to remind us of chocolate, are we affected by that as much as say regularly drinking Coke or Mountain Dew?
×