• Announcements

    • Nemesis

      Contact Us Broken   09/27/2016

      Users, It has come to our attention that the contact us feature on the site is broken.  Please do not use this feature to contact board admins.  Please go through normal channels.  If you are ignored there then assume your request was denied. Also if you try to email us that email address is pretty much ignored.  Also don't contact us to complain, ask for favors, donations, or any other thing that you may think would annoy us.  Nemesis
flameburns623

Dark Secrets in the offing

10 posts in this topic

My ward and another are meeting in combined session Sunday. No agenda announced in advance. Each of us are meeting at a time other than our usual time, and for two hours only (third-hour priesthood meetings cancelled). 

Sounds like a ward merger or split, creating a branch or ward. Tough to tell which. My bishop has apparently opined that the announcement will "shake everybody up". 

The ward I am in is become rather close-knit so a split could be upsetting. A merger less so, since no one would be "going" anywhere. 

Of course, there could be other reasons. Can't imagine why ONE OTHER ward (but not a whole Stake) would be involved,  unless it concerned just our two bodies. 

Am hoping for a new branch or ward. We've seen several convert baptisms recently.  Attendance,  however, leads to concern for the likelihood of a merger.

Keep us in prayer!

1

Share this post


Link to post

Will do, our ward merged a few weeks ago. Attendance is down.

1

Share this post


Link to post

Religion in general is losing popularity, it seems.

1

Share this post


Link to post

It's so funny how they try to keep these kinds of things so secret and mysterious.   I don't know why they think telling people the purpose of these kinds of meetings beforehand is inappropriate.  So silly.  

Good luck Flame!  My parents ward recently got partly merged with another ward and it has worked out well.  For them it was necessary because the recent creation of a new ward in their town ending up leaving one ward with too few members.  The stake had to move boundaries a little bit so that the ward attendance was more balanced on sundays.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, bluebell said:

It's so funny how they try to keep these kinds of things so secret and mysterious.   I don't know why they think telling people the purpose of these kinds of meetings beforehand is inappropriate.  So silly.

Yeah, it's not like none of us have been through a split or merger before. It happens fairly frequently.

When I was originally called as a bishop, the stake president swore me to strict secrecy. He told me not to tell my parents why they were being invited to come, and encouraged me to be vague and noncommittal when pressed. :rolleyes:  There was zero chance of my parents saying anything to anybody, so I didn't feel bad telling them what was happening on that Sunday. 

Sometimes the mysteriousness and cloak-and-dagger-ness is silly. I can definitely see being concerned that word might leak out within the stake, or through social media and then within the stake, so precaution and common sense are important. I had a new EQP once who posted selfies outside the stake president's office, saying that something big was going to happen on Sunday to him. :angry: That was lame, and inappropriate. 

2

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

The advantage of a split would be more service and/or leadership opportunities. It seems to me that my ward is top-heavy with high priests, though that could be a misapprehension. Even with new members, though, it's hard to see that we have enough Melchizedek priests to "share" some with a new branch or ward. Perhaps the other ward is more endowed with MP's. 

Advantages of a merger would be not breaking up a close-knit ward. Though I am sure the chemistry would change. Also,  our ward is impacted to some degree by the presence of one or two large university campuses.

Not so much as in some wards to which I have belonged (one ward had four colleges or universities inside its boundaries!);  but I suppose there is enough flux that a combined ward could stabilize things. 

Of course, this is just a stab in the dark about what may happen Sunday. 

Edited by flameburns623
0

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

My ward and another are meeting in combined session Sunday. No agenda announced in advance. Each of us are meeting at a time other than our usual time, and for two hours only (third-hour priesthood meetings cancelled). 

Sounds like a ward merger or split, creating a branch or ward. Tough to tell which. My bishop has apparently opined that the announcement will "shake everybody up". 

The ward I am in is become rather close-knit so a split could be upsetting. A merger less so, since no one would be "going" anywhere. 

Of course, there could be other reasons. Can't imagine why ONE OTHER ward (but not a whole Stake) would be involved,  unless it concerned just our two bodies. 

Am hoping for a new branch or ward. We've seen several convert baptisms recently.  Attendance,  however, leads to concern for the likelihood of a merger.

Keep us in prayer!

I have been through two in one year. 

1

Share this post


Link to post

Saint Louis now has four Stakes with twenty units apiece,  rather than three Stakes with thirty units. Our ward boundaries enlarged noticeably,  adding a couple of towns and villages to our south. One ward completely shifted southward, another expanded eastward, but no changes for my family and I.  

Edited by flameburns623
1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, flameburns623 said:

Saint Louis now has four Stakes with twenty units apiece,  rather than three Stakes with thirty units. Our ward boundaries enlarged noticeably,  adding a couple of towns and villages to our south. One ward completely shifted southward, another expanded eastward, but no changes for my family and I.  

That's good!

So did they dissolve 10 units?  If so, are the remaining 80 units larger in size compared to the original 90 units?

Any explanation for why this was done?

Just curious because there have been rumors where I live that there may be boundary changes soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, JulieM said:

That's good!

So did they dissolve 10 units?  If so, are the remaining 80 units larger in size compared to the original 90 units?

Any explanation for why this was done?

Just curious because there have been rumors where I live that there may be boundary changes soon.

I don't know.  It looks to me as if a ward to our south more or less got subsumed into other wards. I haven't seen a comprehensive map of the whole area. 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.