Seriously No Politics ×

L. Whitney Clayton Warns BYU grads to Disconnect from proselyting efforts of those who have lost their faith.

19 minutes ago, CMZ said:

Might be talking about different things. We can listen to and engage with others, but quite often people parrot arguments that there are already answers for and their intent in doing so is not to build up. Engaging with people whose intent is to tear down is not productive. Discussion with others who really do just want to talk about things is a different matter. I actually met with Sandra Tanner in person on one occasion and in that particular conversation she was not attempting to tear down my faith, so it was just... a conversation. No biggie. I have had other people approach me and say, "Since you're still in the Church clearly you've never examined the foundations of your faith. Why don't you let me tell you about some things that your bishop is hiding from you? For instance: did you know Joseph Smith looked into a hat? Bet you didn't know that." Or, "Did you know the Bible says we are saved by grace and not by works? I bet your stake president never told you that. He probably only tells you to read your Book of Norman." Or, "Did you know Brigham Young said you must live the law of plural marriage in order to be exalted? Now that's not something you ever hear President Monson say over the pulpit." So, yes, I'm entirely open to speaking with anyone on anything, but every time one of these types of situations arises again it's hard for me to see them as opportunities for intellectual integrity.

Was this person a former LDS or an Evangelical? Or it could be both maybe.

Just now, Tacenda said:

Was this person a former LDS or an Evangelical? Or it could be both maybe.

Referring to different people I have met over the years, some coming from a Fundamentalist perspective, or a born again perspective, or an ex-Mormon perspective.

2 hours ago, Pete Ahlstrom said:

Yes, example is the best missionary work.  But if you don't open your mouth, do the converts simply appear?  If you don't try, does the disaffected have a better chance of returning?  Anyway, I agree with you that the best medicine for harmony among member and former is to avoid the subject.

One can certainly open one's mouth until one is asked not to as long as one does so appropriately.

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, Pete Ahlstrom said:

How do you square this with "every member a missionary" or the duty to seek after the lost sheep?  This has always bothered me because friendships can definitely be ruined by proselytizing or in trying to rescue someone who seemingly goes astray.  Also, as Elder Clayton alludes to in his speech, there is a danger that the "missionary" or "faithful member" will be the one who gets converted or loses "faith" when connections are formed.

Dialogue never hurts anyone.  It can change minds, yes, but that is what it's for.  There is nothing to fear from changing your mind or your faith- it is what is called "growth"

4 hours ago, CA Steve said:

The criticism about this thread being old news is right on because obviously no one has new has signed up for this board in the last year, all current members have read the old thread, everyone has already said all there was to be said in the other thread and every lurker has already read the previous thread about this subject.

I mean really, Johnny should know better.

I guess this board is only for newbies then because it is ALL old news.  So why are you here?

5 hours ago, Pete Ahlstrom said:

How do you square this with "every member a missionary" or the duty to seek after the lost sheep?  This has always bothered me because friendships can definitely be ruined by proselytizing or in trying to rescue someone who seemingly goes astray.  Also, as Elder Clayton alludes to in his speech, there is a danger that the "missionary" or "faithful member" will be the one who gets converted or loses "faith" when connections are formed.

There are lots of ways to seek after lost sheep without actively trying to proselyte someone, and in regards to people who are openly hostile to the message, the best way is just to be 'an example of the believer.'

Could you provide the part of the talk where you believe that Elder Clayton is alluding to possible danger if people are friends with those who reject mormonism?  I'm not sure what you are referring to.

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

There are lots of ways to seek after lost sheep without actively trying to proselyte someone, and in regards to people who are openly hostile to the message, the best way is just to be 'an example of the believer.'

Could you provide the part of the talk where you believe that Elder Clayton is alluding to possible danger if people are friends with those who reject mormonism?  I'm not sure what you are referring to.

He says to disconnect from assertive apostates. Assertive means confident. An apostate is someone who renounces a religion. So, I guess it's a question of degree. Should you disconnect from everyone who leaves the mormon church and happens to be confident about their decision? Or is it just the overbearing person who is in your face about how you should leave too? The later is obvious but the former is more problematic. There are some nice confident in their decision former mormons that I have no problem with but I think Elder Clayton would want disengagement from these.

1 hour ago, Pete Ahlstrom said:

He says to disconnect from assertive apostates. Assertive means confident. An apostate is someone who renounces a religion. So, I guess it's a question of degree. Should you disconnect from everyone who leaves the mormon church and happens to be confident about their decision? Or is it just the overbearing person who is in your face about how you should leave too? The later is obvious but the former is more problematic. There are some nice confident in their decision former mormons that I have no problem with but I think Elder Clayton would want disengagement from these.

Assertive also means forceful though, and i think if we use that definition it better supports the context of Elder Whitney's talk.

1 hour ago, Pete Ahlstrom said:

I think it is important to read his comments in the total context of what he is saying to understanding what he is suggesting.  Ignoring what is said elsewhere in his paragraph isn't going to yield an accurate understanding of his position.

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

I don't see any organized effort by "those who have lost faith" to proselytize anyone.  however the internet has given rise to tools that do level the playing field some. An influential blogger or podcaster can now have access to an audience that only a newspaper or broadcaster had access before...

Doesn't have to be organized to be proselytizing.  Any movement always starts with the individual after all.

A spouse pressuring their partner read a certain set of books, whether it is scriptures or critical texts is proselytizing.  A family member constantly bringing up their religious position, critical or supportive, is proselytizing.  Friends printing up online material and dropping it on one's desk same thing.

I'm guessing Elder Whitney doesn't like that this playing field has become more accommodating to alternative points of view.

I have heard plenty of exmormons express dissatisfaction that the Mormon message is out there intruding everywhere in their lives.  It is human to desire a favored position for one's own beliefs even if one is realistic enough to recognize it is not happening.

all must still place their ideas into the same market place where their respective ideas are scrutinized, tested, challenged and either rise or fall on their own merits.

Except this doesn't match reality much imo given there are tons of different 'marketplaces' and some ideas never make it to the 'global market' because they first appear in an environment that withers them even though they might have thrived in a different one.  Many ideas flourish or die based on who promotes them and how as opposed to actual content as well. It is an overly idealized view of human discussion imo.

Edited by Calm

if i had a dollar for every 15 minutes of time wasted on /r/exmormon, i'd have enough for a nice steak dinner.  but i prefer my sanity.

i appreciate that they're angry, frustrated, feel lied to, manipulated, or just venting.  it's just not really worth my time to listen.  so elder clayton's advice is on point.

12 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

I speak remembering the numerous families that have ended in divorce when one spouse has lost belief in Mormonism ...this is not the kind of message a leader in the LDS church should be sending. Shame on him

So, when someone you know leaves the Church, actively and aggressively seeks out friends and family members to drag out with him, tells people in conversations, "I despise you and every thing you stand for," the shame is on the one who doesn't want to participate?

Edited by Bernard Gui
6 hours ago, CV75 said:

Fear? I think it's more an exhortation to not waste your time with drivel.

With all due respect...this post is offensive, that it also received rep votes by fellow posters is also offensive. I need to seriously reconsider why I even participate on this board I think.  

9 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

So, when someone you know leaves the Church, actively and aggressively seeks out friends and family members to drag out with him, tells people in conversations, "I despise you and every thing you stand for," the shame ison the one who doesn't want to participate?

I am unfamiliar with anyone who has done this...plus surely the church truth claims can withstand this kind of examination right?

Edited by Johnnie Cake
23 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

I am unfamiliar with anyone who has done this...plus surely the church truth claims can withstand this kind of examination right?

Truth claims sure, their loved ones maybe not so much.

Or do you believe that pressure tactics never work?