• Announcements

    • Nemesis

      Contact Us Broken   09/27/2016

      Users, It has come to our attention that the contact us feature on the site is broken.  Please do not use this feature to contact board admins.  Please go through normal channels.  If you are ignored there then assume your request was denied. Also if you try to email us that email address is pretty much ignored.  Also don't contact us to complain, ask for favors, donations, or any other thing that you may think would annoy us.  Nemesis
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snowflake

Medical marijuana and the word of wisdom

38 posts in this topic

My father has suffered from a tremor in his right arm for over a year and has recently been diagnosed with early stage Parkinson's disease.  Since his diagnosis and over the last year he has tried all the medications his neurologist has prescribed without relief from his tremor.  He has also been suffering from severe insomnia since his tremor began and Dad was really quite depressed (which I totally understand, try not sleeping for a few nights).

Dad is a true blue temple recommend Mormon and absolutely rejected any thought of trying any form of cannabis to help with the insomnia or the arm shaking. Well thank God, he finally became desperate enough to try some cannabis oil and some edibles about 6 weeks ago. Dad lives in a very marijuana friendly state (Oregon) and is now eating cannabis butter and cannabis oil and told me that 30mL of cannabis oil treats his tremor for about 6 hours and the butter is helping him sleep through the night. 

Now you must realize that as a TBM, I thought that my Dad had lost his mind, I couldn't believe my ears, he said that he felt alive, that life was worth living again. It was amazing to hear ho happy my Father was! 

So here is a few questions to the board. And I have not ran these questions by my Father yet.....

 What is the church's stance on medical marijuana?
Is my Father at risk of losing his place in the celestial kingdom because he is violating the WOW?

Could he lose his temple recommend if the brethren found out he is taking cannabis?

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post

The church even has a political position on that 

"the Church opposes SB 73, it has raised no objection to SB 89."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-urges-cautious-approach-medical-marijuana-issue-utah

 

S.B. 73 Medical Cannabis Act

https://le.utah.gov/~2016/bills/static/sb0073.html

 

S.B. 89 Cannabis-based Medicine Amendments

https://le.utah.gov/~2016/bills/static/sb0089.html

0

Share this post


Link to post

I'm thrilled your father is feeling better.

Cannabis is a natural herb. God placed it on the earth. Why would a person not take it if it helps them attain a better quality of life and relief from their pain? As a prescribed medicine I don't see that there would be any issue getting a temple recommend. Members take far stronger medicines with more addictive properties and still attend the temple.

The church has officially opposed legalization of marijuana, including medical, but I can only think that it's because A- they don't understand the issue or B- they are concerned about abuses. But would a person who receives morphine at a hospital lose their recommend or eternal salvation? Of course not.

I know a child who literally has over 100 seizures per day. His body temperature has to be regulated super closely or he'll slip into a coma. Doctors have tried many different treatments and medications. Cannabis oil is the only thing that works. With it, he can function. Without it, he's stuck in a temperature regulated room in bed. It's been a challenge for his parents to get permission to use the cannabis oil but now that they have it he is doing great.

Prohibiting use of medical marijuana is immoral even if there is some potential for abuse.

2

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

So happy your father relented and tried these very natural methods to help relieve his insomnia and tremors!! I'm so glad he lives in Oregon and not Utah!

For some strange reason Utah has put up a fight to keep medical marijuana away. I don't understand, since Utah is one of the worst states for opioid death in the nation. The pharmaceutical companies are fighting it. No wonder, they know how much better they are and I don't believe I've seen one death from it's use. 

I know the church is a big reason also, why would they be like that? I know many LDS are into essential oils and natural methods that way, what could be better than what your father is doing? I even have hope it will become legal medically to help if I ever get Alzheimer's, which is most likely a given because of my family's history.

I'm so happy for you father!! I wish Utah leaders could get wind of it, and let up.

Edited by Tacenda
1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Cannabis is a natural herb. God placed it on the earth.

that's the all natural fallacy, just because it is natural doesn't prove it is good for you. See 

I am not against cannabis, of course, but it is still the all natural fallacy. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, snowflake said:

My father has suffered from a tremor in his right arm for over a year and has recently been diagnosed with early stage Parkinson's disease.  Since his diagnosis and over the last year he has tried all the medications his neurologist has prescribed without relief from his tremor.  He has also been suffering from severe insomnia since his tremor began and Dad was really quite depressed (which I totally understand, try not sleeping for a few nights).

Dad is a true blue temple recommend Mormon and absolutely rejected any thought of trying any form of cannabis to help with the insomnia or the arm shaking. Well thank God, he finally became desperate enough to try some cannabis oil and some edibles about 6 weeks ago. Dad lives in a very marijuana friendly state (Oregon) and is now eating cannabis butter and cannabis oil and told me that 30mL of cannabis oil treats his tremor for about 6 hours and the butter is helping him sleep through the night. 

Now you must realize that as a TBM, I thought that my Dad had lost his mind, I couldn't believe my ears, he said that he felt alive, that life was worth living again. It was amazing to hear ho happy my Father was! 

So here is a few questions to the board. And I have not ran these questions by my Father yet.....

 What is the church's stance on medical marijuana?
Is my Father at risk of losing his place in the celestial kingdom because he is violating the WOW?

Could he lose his temple recommend if the brethren found out he is taking cannabis?

Hey Snowflake,

Like some other posters, I personally feel he is not in any spiritual danger. 

The Word of Wisdom is just that - a word of wisdom. It is not a sin to drink some wine. It is wise not too - usually. 

Although the Word of Wisdom recommends against smoking tobacco, and science has since born that out, it also recognizes that tobacco can have some medical uses. Alcohol can have some medical uses. I believe marijuana can have some medical uses. I know someone who needs a marijuana derivative for seizures - I hope she can get it soon. So, in cases like your father where it is medically  helping him in what may be the last years of his life, my personal belief is that he is fine in using it - especially the non-smoked kind. Of course I can't guarantee there is no spiritual consequences, but if it were me, I'd be doing exactly what he is without any worry the Lord would punish me for a perceived sin. I am glad for him that he is receiving some relief - and for you too to know that your dad is not suffering so much. :)

2

Share this post


Link to post

I think there is a bit of an automatic apprehension about medical marijuana because a lot of people feel like it's an excuse for people to smoke it for fun legally.  I have a family member in montana who had absolutely nothing wrong with him and was able to get an medical use prescription for marijuana after it became legal there a few years ago.  It was the joke of the family, how easy it was to get permission.

And then there are the people who are potheads in every sense of the word, who constantly make claims about how marijuana is a miracle drug that cures cancer, unwanted facial hair, and everything in between while they sit in a constant cloud of smoke.  I also have a family member of that variety (though, completely different side of the family).  

I think those kinds of stories have made people wary of supporting, which is too bad because it does seem to have legitimate medical uses.  Hopefully has more doctors start taking it seriously it'll be better understood and accepted for medical usage. 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I think there is a bit of an automatic apprehension about medical marijuana because a lot of people feel like it's an excuse for people to smoke it for fun legally.  I have a family member in montana who had absolutely nothing wrong with him and was able to get an medical use prescription for marijuana after it became legal there a few years ago.  It was the joke of the family, how easy it was to get permission.

And then there are the people who are potheads in every sense of the word, who constantly make claims about how marijuana is a miracle drug that cures cancer, unwanted facial hair, and everything in between while they sit in a constant cloud of smoke.  I also have a family member of that variety (though, completely different side of the family).  

I think those kinds of stories have made people wary of supporting, which is too bad because it does seem to have legitimate medical uses.  Hopefully has more doctors start taking it seriously it'll be better understood and accepted for medical usage. 

 

Then there's Willie Nelson, seems he's still kicking.

But I believe in moderation in all things. I worry about the pill form and it being way too easy for youth to get hooked. I do see where the church has legitimate reasons for concern. Pot may make too many of our future leaders just skip on certain things because they just want to be laid back. I do see problems like that. But for medical purposes it should be treated just as opioids/medications are. A prescription method that is already in place in other states, works pretty well, but like prescriptions being abused now, it would happen with cannabis. I also see the side of those that say it creates drug lords etc. with laws against recreational use. But I really don't have a lot of knowledge to be making assertations that might be wrong. 

Edited by Tacenda
1

Share this post


Link to post

Mixed feelings here.  I had a good friend..very active in the church, who was found dead the morning of her son's missionary farewell...pain pills for her broken ankle. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Mixed feelings here.  I had a good friend..very active in the church, who was found dead the morning of her son's missionary farewell...pain pills for her broken ankle. 

:( So senseless. I'm sorry for your loss. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I'm thrilled your father is feeling better.

Cannabis is a natural herb. God placed it on the earth. Why would a person not take it if it helps them attain a better quality of life and relief from their pain? As a prescribed medicine I don't see that there would be any issue getting a temple recommend. Members take far stronger medicines with more addictive properties and still attend the temple.

The church has officially opposed legalization of marijuana, including medical, but I can only think that it's because A- they don't understand the issue or B- they are concerned about abuses. But would a person who receives morphine at a hospital lose their recommend or eternal salvation? Of course not.

I know a child who literally has over 100 seizures per day. His body temperature has to be regulated super closely or he'll slip into a coma. Doctors have tried many different treatments and medications. Cannabis oil is the only thing that works. With it, he can function. Without it, he's stuck in a temperature regulated room in bed. It's been a challenge for his parents to get permission to use the cannabis oil but now that they have it he is doing great.

Prohibiting use of medical marijuana is immoral even if there is some potential for abuse.

With all due respect, Happy, I think you do not understand the Church's opposition to the matter of legalized marijuana. From the links already provided by MormonVideoGame and later after your post, by Blue Dreams, you can read:

Quote

While we are not in a position to evaluate specific medical claims, the Church understands that there are some individuals who may benefit from the medical use of compounds found in marijuana. For that reason, although the Church opposes SB 73, it has raised no objection to SB 89. These two competing pieces of legislation take very different approaches when it comes to issues like access, distribution, control and the potential harm of the hallucinogenic compound, THC. 

In addition to the therapeutic, treatment, and control questions, there are several other important issues to be resolved.  At the forefront is that the use of medical marijuana is still illegal under federal law.  We agree with groups such as the American Medical Association, who have said (see the AMA policy below) that further study is warranted before significant public policy decisions on marijuana are advanced. For these reasons, the Church urges a cautious approach.

How do you get the impression that they do not understand the issue? I find the LDS Church does an outstanding job understanding social issues. You seem to be very skeptical and even demeaning towards church leaders when they oppose what you think is right. That's not a reactionary trait one shows when one respects those who oppose them. Why that lack of respect from you for LDS Church leaders I do not understand.

As for abuses, yes, I think you're onto something there. So far as I know, legalizing marijuana is far less the result of allowing medical assistance for those in need and far more the result of doing it just so people can use it. I'm 100% OK with the former but very opposed to the latter. The latter, in fact, I find completely stupid and very ignorant of supporters to get behind.

1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, snowflake said:

My father has suffered from a tremor in his right arm for over a year and has recently been diagnosed with early stage Parkinson's disease.  Since his diagnosis and over the last year he has tried all the medications his neurologist has prescribed without relief from his tremor.  He has also been suffering from severe insomnia since his tremor began and Dad was really quite depressed (which I totally understand, try not sleeping for a few nights).

Dad is a true blue temple recommend Mormon and absolutely rejected any thought of trying any form of cannabis to help with the insomnia or the arm shaking. Well thank God, he finally became desperate enough to try some cannabis oil and some edibles about 6 weeks ago. Dad lives in a very marijuana friendly state (Oregon) and is now eating cannabis butter and cannabis oil and told me that 30mL of cannabis oil treats his tremor for about 6 hours and the butter is helping him sleep through the night. 

Now you must realize that as a TBM, I thought that my Dad had lost his mind, I couldn't believe my ears, he said that he felt alive, that life was worth living again. It was amazing to hear ho happy my Father was! 

So here is a few questions to the board. And I have not ran these questions by my Father yet.....

 What is the church's stance on medical marijuana?
Is my Father at risk of losing his place in the celestial kingdom because he is violating the WOW?

Could he lose his temple recommend if the brethren found out he is taking cannabis?

 

 

If I were your father's bishop and he were to detail to me his medical situation as you did for the life of me I could not see myself refusing him a temple recommend. In fact I dare say that I feel the Holy Spirit telling me that his temple worthiness is just fine. I do think it's prudent to constantly talk about his situation with him but I would do so with a genuine concern for his health.

0

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Mixed feelings here.  I had a good friend..very active in the church, who was found dead the morning of her son's missionary farewell...pain pills for her broken ankle. 

Pain pills very often are opioids and are currently a big problem with being abused in our society. Even when not abused they are still pretty potent. I am very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for your friend and her surviving family members.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Darren10 said:

Pain pills very often are opioids and are currently a big problem with being abused in our society. Even when not abused they are still pretty potent. I am very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for your friend and her surviving family members.

Thank you.  It was very sad because it was not like her to abuse...it was the pain.  Her son waited two weeks, had his farewell and went on his mission.  I was very grateful that he left because it was more comforting for him than to stay in any case.  I have a nephew that used to take hard drugs...now he says.."stay away from the pills"!

1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Thank you.  It was very sad because it was not like her to abuse...it was the pain.  Her son waited two weeks, had his farewell and went on his mission.  I was very grateful that he left because it was more comforting for him than to stay in any case.  I have a nephew that used to take hard drugs...now he says.."stay away from the pills"!

Wise nephew. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/14/14263058/marijuana-benefits-harms-medical

New research above, and this segment below about opioids and how they got their big start in the 90's, also that they have now killed approx. 52,404 people in 2015. Glad snowflake's father found something much safer.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/10800248/medical-marijuana-opioids-heroin

Edited by Tacenda
0

Share this post


Link to post

Snowflake...hope all goes well for your Dad!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/14/14263058/marijuana-benefits-harms-medical

New research above, and this segment below about opioids and how they got their big start in the 90's, also that they have now killed approx. 52,000 people in 2016. Glad snowflake's father found something much safer.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/10800248/medical-marijuana-opioids-heroin

Amazing how legal drugs kill so many more people than the illegal ones. I know that alcohol and tobacco are the kings of drug death. Marijuana seems extremely safe compared to other substances.  I live in Florida who just recently passed medical marijuana and work in the health care industry. It's amazing the mindset with healthcare providers is still to push opioids over marijuana. It just doesn't make sense to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Amazing how legal drugs kill so many more people than the illegal ones. I know that alcohol and tobacco are the kings of drug death. Marijuana seems extremely safe compared to other substances.  I live in Florida who just recently passed medical marijuana and work in the health care industry. It's amazing the mindset with healthcare providers is still to push opioids over marijuana. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's possibly because of the money. I hate to say it, but I think drug companies have something to do with it. I hope doctors etc. aren't being talked into prescribing opioids over legal marijuana. ETA: I better not blame the doctor. Maybe there's much more involved here. But I still distrust the drug companies that have control over so much in the the political arena. https://www.publicintegrity.org/2016/09/18/20203/pharma-lobbying-held-deep-influence-over-opioid-policies

"Five states have passed laws related to abuse-deterrent opioids and scores of bills have been introduced, with at least 21 using nearly identical language that some legislators said was supplied by pharmaceutical lobbyists. Pharmaceutical companies lobby for such laws, which typically require insurers and pharmacists to give preferential treatment to the patent-protected drugs, even though some experts say the deterrents are easily circumvented."

Edited by Tacenda
0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I think there is a bit of an automatic apprehension about medical marijuana because a lot of people feel like it's an excuse for people to smoke it for fun legally.  I have a family member in montana who had absolutely nothing wrong with him and was able to get an medical use prescription for marijuana after it became legal there a few years ago.  It was the joke of the family, how easy it was to get permission.

And then there are the people who are potheads in every sense of the word, who constantly make claims about how marijuana is a miracle drug that cures cancer, unwanted facial hair, and everything in between while they sit in a constant cloud of smoke.  I also have a family member of that variety (though, completely different side of the family).  

I think those kinds of stories have made people wary of supporting, which is too bad because it does seem to have legitimate medical uses.  Hopefully has more doctors start taking it seriously it'll be better understood and accepted for medical usage. 

In my county, 90% of the medical marijuana card holders are men under the age of 30. It is an open joke among pot-fans and foes alike that "medical marijuana" (smoked) is thinly-veiled legalized recreational use.

I notice that the Church differentiated in its support between smoked marijuana and cannabis medicine derivatives. I think there is a big difference between oil, THC pills, etc., and smoked marijuana --- which is where I would draw the line in terms of the WoW. And this can be subject to "leader roulette" in terms of a temple recommend, with no clear guidance from the Brethren for local leaders. 

At bishopric training last year, a member of the stake presidency told us to be very careful referring people to an LDS counselor in our stake (I had referred some people to him, and they were happy with the counseling. He was registered through Family Services and has a private practice and an affiliation with a doctor's office). He said that it had come to their attention that he uses marijuana in his counseling. I called his bishop (now in the new stake presidency) and asked him for his thoughts, and he said that he definitely wouldn't refer anyone with depression or anxiety, because he would prescribe them "medical marijuana" (pot). Two members had even reported to him that he had smoked it with them in his office (he has a card, and was teaching them how to). The interesting thing for me was that this bishop-now-SP-member, who has some medical school and is a mortician, said that he had studied the marijuana research a lot over the years, and that medical marijuana has one of the highest placebo effect benefits in history. That is, people use oil, pills, baked goods, smoking, etc., and report fabulous improvement, but when this is carefully controlled with placebos, the people report the same benefits. 

I think much of it is in people's heads, based on their expectations/wishes for it to work. 

0

Share this post


Link to post

The compound used in medical marijuana is different from the "get high" compound.  If it's isolated, I have absolutely no problem with it.  

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, snowflake said:

Amazing how legal drugs kill so many more people than the illegal ones. I know that alcohol and tobacco are the kings of drug death. Marijuana seems extremely safe compared to other substances.  I live in Florida who just recently passed medical marijuana and work in the health care industry. It's amazing the mindset with healthcare providers is still to push opioids over marijuana. It just doesn't make sense to me.

It is amazing but keep in mind that the human body is designed to naturally absorb alcohol so alcoholic beverages are not automatically prejudicial to the human body. The same cannot be said about opioids or marijuana in the traditional sense of how it's been cultivated and distributed. What is telling to me is how the legality of something does not necessarily make it safe or OK to use.

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rongo said:

In my county, 90% of the medical marijuana card holders are men under the age of 30. It is an open joke among pot-fans and foes alike that "medical marijuana" (smoked) is thinly-veiled legalized recreational use.

I notice that the Church differentiated in its support between smoked marijuana and cannabis medicine derivatives. I think there is a big difference between oil, THC pills, etc., and smoked marijuana --- which is where I would draw the line in terms of the WoW. And this can be subject to "leader roulette" in terms of a temple recommend, with no clear guidance from the Brethren for local leaders. 

At bishopric training last year, a member of the stake presidency told us to be very careful referring people to an LDS counselor in our stake (I had referred some people to him, and they were happy with the counseling. He was registered through Family Services and has a private practice and an affiliation with a doctor's office). He said that it had come to their attention that he uses marijuana in his counseling. I called his bishop (now in the new stake presidency) and asked him for his thoughts, and he said that he definitely wouldn't refer anyone with depression or anxiety, because he would prescribe them "medical marijuana" (pot). Two members had even reported to him that he had smoked it with them in his office (he has a card, and was teaching them how to). The interesting thing for me was that this bishop-now-SP-member, who has some medical school and is a mortician, said that he had studied the marijuana research a lot over the years, and that medical marijuana has one of the highest placebo effect benefits in history. That is, people use oil, pills, baked goods, smoking, etc., and report fabulous improvement, but when this is carefully controlled with placebos, the people report the same benefits. 

I think much of it is in people's heads, based on their expectations/wishes for it to work. 

"It is an open joke among pot-fans and foes alike that "medical marijuana" (smoked) is thinly-veiled legalized recreational use." - Oh, I think it's quite the same here in the USA.

Very good post too.

1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Mixed feelings here.  I had a good friend..very active in the church, who was found dead the morning of her son's missionary farewell...pain pills for her broken ankle. 

That's a serious and growing problem, unfortunately. I watched a documentary recently about one of the doctors that pushed for he use of pain medications for ailments. It was both intriguing and sad. 

One positive not about marijuana. THough dependency and overdose is possible....death directly from marijuana isn't: 

http://drug.addictionblog.org/can-you-overdose-on-marijuana/

 

With luv,

BD

1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.