• Announcements

• Nemesis

Contact Us Broken   09/27/2016

Users, It has come to our attention that the contact us feature on the site is broken.  Please do not use this feature to contact board admins.  Please go through normal channels.  If you are ignored there then assume your request was denied. Also if you try to email us that email address is pretty much ignored.  Also don't contact us to complain, ask for favors, donations, or any other thing that you may think would annoy us.  Nemesis
bsjkki

Mormon Bishop convicted of rape

78 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

In my opinion

Made a mistake about Jian Ghomeshi, he was violent. I read some more news articles. 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:13 AM, Tacenda said:

I listened to this last night, it might have some answers, of course I didn't listen as well because I was probably on Mormon Dialogue too much.

but we mush be careful not to quickly jump to conclusions. According to an  article of psychology today. 

Rape is defined (generally speaking, and this varies depending on the publication) as sexual activity forced on someone against his or her will. So if a strange man accosts a woman in an elevator, pulls out a gun, and forces himself on her sexually - clearly, that’s rape. If a woman slips a drug into her date’s drink, renders him stupid, and forces him to have sex with her - clearly, that’s rape. But what about a college woman who voluntarily drinks herself into an alcohol-induced blackout at a party, but is still talking, dancing, seemingly having a good time, and winds up having sex late-night with someone she either knows or doesn’t know. Is it rape? It’s not so clear. Here’s why: according to pact5.org, “A person who is mentally or physically incapacitated by drugs or alcohol cannot give consent.” Um, of course they can. They just wouldn’t remember doing so. That’s the whole problem with blackouts - you don’t have any idea what you said or didn’t say. You don’t know how you wound up in this stranger’s bed or made it back to your own bed. You don’t remember anything. Is it conceivable that you gave consent in your drunken stupor? Of course it is. And to claim after the fact that a ‘rape’ was committed in a situation like this is at best problematic, and at worst, wrong. 

Why? Because it’s conceivable that you gave consent in your blackout and your sex partner didn’t know you were blacked out and took you at your word. WedMD has an entry on blackouts caused by drugs and alcohol and it says, “During a blackout, you may function normally. People around you may not notice anything different about your behavior. You might do the things you normally do, such as eat dinner, wash dishes, or watch television. But later you have no memory of doing them.” 

So, in the hypothetical scenario above, if the woman gave consent, and it seemed genuine on the part of her sex partner, then it’s not rape because it doesn’t fit the definition of having sexual activity forced upon her against her will. Important to note is that this scenario is not meant to describe all rapes on college campuses. It depicts a very specific scenario where regrettable sexual activity occurs due to alcohol abuse. But even if it accurately describes one “rape” case on one college campus in the U.S., then it deserves serious consideration because we need to be clear on exactly what counts as rape for the benefit of all parties involved. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/college-confidential/201603/is-incapacitated-rape-really-rape

Edited by MormonVideoGame

On 4/20/2017 at 2:36 AM, bsjkki said:

Watch the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why and get back to me about the effects of non-violent rape. I can't watch it--but I've heard from some that it hits too close to home. I can attest that even if it is non-violent, the girls suffer..and suffer...and suffer. :(

I thought it was an excellent series and if I had children entering high school, I would sit down with them and have them watch the series.  It may be the biggest lesson they could learn before entering high school.  It is heart breaking.

18 hours ago, MormonVideoGame said:

i agree there is no one type of punishment that fits all, the most severe punishments should be for violent offenders in my opinion.

That and those who prey on children.