Seriously No Politics ×

Waiting.....

ElPatron

Ugh!!!! My son's mission papers are in and it's like waiting on pins and needles. I don't think I was this nervous waiting for my own mission call!!! A lot of the calls in our stake over the years seem to have been going to Central/South America (Brazil) but there seems to be a shift lately away from those areas. I'm just curious if this comes in waves or if anyone see's common area calls in your neck of the woods. Throughout our family we've had several serve in California so I'm thinking he could go there but his heratige is European on my side and South American on my wife's side. Is there any rhyme or reason, in our finite minds anyway, as to where they're assigned? (Can you tell I'm pretty nervous about this??)

We had three young man in a row go to the same state, Utah, when the Olympics were here (we were Canadians at the time).  Two were in theOgden mission, one in Provo.  Another one at that time (we had like a dozen of that age, which was fantastic for our son) went to New Zealand.

I don't know if that was simply ramping up for the increased interest and visitors for the Olympics, getting Canadians down here so they would enjoy going to some of the more obscure events (iirc, they got to go to the curling event), or just coincidence.  My son had been in Russia and his cousin with slightly more experience than he had been called there, so that is what we expected.  Instead he gets called to a mission where he has a number of cousins living.  And he had been born in Utah...

We wondered if they were grateful for someone they didn't have to hassle with visas with.

Edited by Calm

Waiting is hard! do think it was harder on my mom than on me.  I hope you don't have to wait much longer. 

My son's friend waited 6+ months! The bishop/stake president called a couple of times and were told it wasn't ready yet. He ended up losing a scholarship because he was given an amount of time he could put it on hold and by the time he got the call, left and added 2 years it was past that.

He, his parents and I all feel part of the reason he was waiting was my son needed him. Ultimately, he got a somewhat unusual call so we know that was part of the reason as well. 

Sending patience your way! 

38 minutes ago, rpn said:

Surely a rhyme or reason to God, and for the needs of missions.

Of course. You're comment is a great reminder to me. I'm just curious if anyone has come up with a sure fire way to predict location of mission calls. Wow......I'm spending way too much time trying to figure this out. Carry on. 

Just now, ElPatron said:

Of course. You're comment is a great reminder to me. I'm just curious if anyone has come up with a sure fire way to predict location of mission calls. Wow......I'm spending way too much time trying to figure this out. Carry on. 

*Your

9 minutes ago, ElPatron said:

I think the only way to know would be if the Spirit wants you to know. 

Leaked photo from the Salt Lake missionary department.

darts.jpg.40b7d9457a50cfa8d31d10267d92e3a1.jpg

Seriously though, there are some practical criteria involved such as where are missionaries needed at the moment papers come in. A little has to do with a person's ability or experience with learning a different language. Or are there a lot coming home from a particular area or mission that need to be replaced. Beside that there are a couple good examples of how its done at the following site:

How Are Missionaries Called?

Edited by JAHS

A gal in my Kaysville, Utah ward recently got her call. She was so excited and really wanted Australia. I watched her open the call on a live FB video. When she said Orem, Utah. I could tell she was trying not to sound disappointed. I was little shocked that she got a call in the same state she lived. But she does have Cystic Fibrosis, so maybe that is why. And it was Spanish speaking so she was excited about that. I wonder if anyone gave her a warning that it might have to be in her home state or not. She is fine in every other way. I guess I was a little surprised. But Utah is big enough for her hopefully to feel like she isn't serving too close to home. 

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

A gal in my Kaysville, Utah ward recently got her call. She was so excited and really wanted Australia. I watched her open the call on a live FB video. When she said Orem, Utah. I could tell she was trying not to sound disappointed. I was little shocked that she got a call in the same state she lived. But she does have Cystic Fibrosis, so maybe that is why. And it was Spanish speaking so she was excited about that. I wonder if anyone gave her a warning that it might have to be in her home state or not. She is fine in every other way. I guess I was a little surprised. But Utah is big enough for her hopefully to feel like she isn't serving too close to home. 

Wow, that would be very hard!

42 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Leaked photo from the Salt Lake missionary department.

darts.jpg.40b7d9457a50cfa8d31d10267d92e3a1.jpg

Seriously though, there are some practical criteria involved such as where are missionaries needed at the moment papers come in. A little has to do with a person's ability or experience with learning a different language. Or are there a lot coming home from a particular area or mission that need to be replaced. Beside that there are a couple good examples of how its done at the following site:

How Are Missionaries Called?

You leaked this!!!!!:D

I can only imagine how hard it is for the parents to wait to hear.  My oldest is 15 so we have a few more years but i'm a little nervous already just thinking about it.   I live in Layton Ut and we currently have two missionaries out who are serving in the same mission in Japan!  There were called only a couple of months a part too.  Seems like of crazy.

Just now, bluebell said:

I can only imagine how hard it is for the parents to wait to hear.  My oldest is 15 so we have a few more years but i'm a little nervous already just thinking about it.   I live in Layton Ut and we currently have two missionaries out who are serving in the same mission in Japan!  There were called only a couple of months a part too.  Seems like of crazy.

That is kind of cool to have brothers (your sons) in the same mission...that hardly ever happens does it?  The world is such a scary place anymore that I would be worried too..

Edited by Jeanne
4 hours ago, ElPatron said:

Ugh!!!! My son's mission papers are in and it's like waiting on pins and needles. I don't think I was this nervous waiting for my own mission call!!! A lot of the calls in our stake over the years seem to have been going to Central/South America (Brazil) but there seems to be a shift lately away from those areas. I'm just curious if this comes in waves or if anyone see's common area calls in your neck of the woods. Throughout our family we've had several serve in California so I'm thinking he could go there but his heratige is European on my side and South American on my wife's side. Is there any rhyme or reason, in our finite minds anyway, as to where they're assigned? (Can you tell I'm pretty nervous about this??)

Just remember, "a watched pot never boils". :) 

2 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

That is kind of cool to have brothers (your sons) in the same mission...that hardly ever happens does it?  The world is such a scary place anymore that I would be worried too..

That would be kind of fun, but these two missionaries (and elder and a sister) aren't related (to me or each other). :)

12 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Just remember, "a watched pot never boils". :) 

Patience is a virtue.

12 minutes ago, bluebell said:

That would be kind of fun, but these two missionaries (and elder and a sister) aren't related (to me or each other). :)

My bad...I read your post wrong..figured you were to young to have missionaries in the field already...

5 hours ago, ElPatron said:

I remember my Mom waiting for my brother's call to come.  We kind of teased her about how impatient and anxious she was and she said "I just want to know where my son is going to be for the next two years of his life".  

Now that I'm a Mom of some boys myself, I totally get it and can only imagine how hard it is to wait!

Please let us know when he gets his  call :)

Edited by JulieM
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

We have a missionary serving in our ward right now that is in that boat. He has a physical limitation so they called him to labor in the mission next to the one he lives in. He loves it! Due to the fact that many people move all around our metroplex he said he's known at least one person in every ward he's served in from some point in his life. Our HP Group Leader was his Scoutmaster growing up. I see that as a tender mercy for his parents. It would be for me.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

Don't blink!

21 hours ago, Jeanne said:

My seminary teacher went to the same mission as 2 of his 3 brothers. He was companions with one.

Edited by Rain
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I knew a guy who lived with his aunt during his high school years. After he graduated he went back home and turned in his papers.he was called to his aunt's mission! He said in some ways it was tough, but in the end he was glad. Nearly 20 years later I discovered that he was one of the teachers at my daughter's school (different mission).

1 hour ago, ElPatron said:

Well....not even on my radar other then it's in South America. Argentina-Cordoba Mission. I'm going to miss the heck out of him!!

Best to you and your son...!  At least now you know..hope he enjoys.