Seriously No Politics ×

An Interview with a Mormon.....

dsyoung

I'm taking an Ethics and Society class where we are interviewing a person of a different culture or religion with the intent of learning and understanding different ideas and practices. If anyone is interested or has a few minutes to respond, I have a few questions that will help in developing my essay. These questions are broad in nature in order to fit many different religions. Thank you! :D

1) Were you raised in a religious or spiritual household?

2) How did you discover your religion or faith?

3) What are the "rules" or most important aspects of your religion's views?

4) Is there anything that is greatly frowned upon in your religion?

5) In what ways do you practice your religion?

6) Are there any stereotypes regarding your religion that you have faced?

7) What would you want others to know about your religions or beliefs?

8 ) Would you marry a person of a different faith than yourself?

9) How do you get to heaven?

10) Do you agree with everything your religion preaches?

If you have anything different to add, feel free. I greatly appreciate it!!

Questions on our end.  What level of class is this, high school or college?

How did you find the board?

what type of school?  Public or private and if private, what type? 

I ask because on occasion we get students taking classes from antiMormon groups and they do 'gotcha' style interviewing.  Yours does not seem any way in that fashion, but you might get more and better input (and therefore a better paper) if you make clear your purpose and why here.

Edited by Calm

I'm going to answer these very shortly on a basic level.  If you want something more in depth, let me know.

1 hour ago, dsyoung said:

Yes, devout.

Discover: grew up with it.

Embrace it: at age of 6, when I was going through a rough time and needed His help.  I can elaborate more on this.

4) Is there anything that is greatly frowned upon in your religion

Social?  I recommend this: https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth?lang=eng

My religion empowers EVERYthing I do.  Did you want any more specific things?

A million.  Some as stupid as convince a college educated person that I literally don't have horns.  More commonly are things like "you're not a Christian!"

That I am a Christian and I love the Lord. 

Yep, I did.  He's fantastic. 

Embrace the Lord with your heart, mind, soul, and actions.

Doctrines: yes.  Culture sometimes drives me crazy.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Questions on our end.  What level of class is this, high school or college?

How did you find the board?

what type of school?  Public or private and if private, what type? 

I ask because on occasion we get students taking classes from antiMormon groups and they do 'gotcha' style interviewing.  Yours does not seem any way in that fashion, but you might get more and better input (and therefore a better paper) if you make clear your purpose and why here.

I'm attending a community college taking online classes to be able to get a Bachelors in Nursing and found this board on google :) I have an Associates Degree in Nursing but the Bachelor's requires more classes that I'm taking now, which includes Ethics (PHL 206). Definitely not with any group or association, just doing non-judgmental research on my own accord to write an essay based off these interview questions. Your answers won't be used in any way except for my own research. Sorry if this post came off as odd, I understand why some would be a little hesitant to answer so many personal questions.

54 minutes ago, dsyoung said:

I'm attending a community college taking online classes to be able to get a Bachelors in Nursing and found this board on google :) I have an Associates Degree in Nursing but the Bachelor's requires more classes that I'm taking now, which includes Ethics (PHL 206). Definitely not with any group or association, just doing non-judgmental research on my own accord to write an essay based off these interview questions. Your answers won't be used in any way except for my own research. Sorry if this post came off as odd, I understand why some would be a little hesitant to answer so many personal questions.

It's not that your assignment is odd- it's actually quite good.  It just helps to know the audience you're answering to-- I would answer things very differently if you were in a middle school class or a advanced seminary graduate class, for example.  As to "personal questions": none of the questions you're asking here are overly personal.  Many of them aren't even personal at all (such as 3 & 4).  

6 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

It's not that your assignment is odd- it's actually quite good.  It just helps to know the audience you're answering to-- I would answer things very differently if you were in a middle school class or a advanced seminary graduate class, for example.  As to "personal questions": none of the questions you're asking here are overly personal.  Many of them aren't even personal at all (such as 3 & 4).  

I understand completely. Thanks for taking the time to respond, the link you gave me looks really helpful as well

Thanks for answering.

4 hours ago, dsyoung said:

I'm taking an Ethics and Society class where we are interviewing a person of a different culture or religion with the intent of learning and understanding different ideas and practices. If anyone is interested or has a few minutes to respond, I have a few questions that will help in developing my essay. These questions are broad in nature in order to fit many different religions. Thank you! :D

Yes.

Born into it.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1?lang=eng

Sin.

Keeping all commandments and covenants as best I can.

Too many to list here.

That our focus is on Christ.

No

Entrance requires accepting Christ as Savior and entering into a covenant with him through authorized Baptism.

I do not agree with everything my CHURCH preaches.  Oddly enough I agree with my religion.  ;)

9 hours ago, dsyoung said:

1) Were you raised in a religious or spiritual household? A little of both.

2) How did you discover your religion or faith? Born into it.

3) What are the "rules" or most important aspects of your religion's views? To be baptized with the proper authority into the faith, and then eventually marry in the temple.

4) Is there anything that is greatly frowned upon in your religion? Gay marriage, IMO.

5) In what ways do you practice your religion? I hold a calling or IOW, serve others of my faith. Attend Sacrament meeting, or communion, if that is a term more understandable. But have days where I don't attend.

6) Are there any stereotypes regarding your religion that you have faced? That we aren't allowed to drink soda like Coke/Pepsi products. Or that we don't swear or that we are all alike.

7) What would you want others to know about your religions or beliefs? I'm in a state of mind that I'm not sure of my beliefs anymore. I guess I'd want the non LDS Christians to know that we are Christian but don't believe as most Christians.

8 ) Would you marry a person of a different faith than yourself? Good question, I might now if I weren't married already. 

9) How do you get to heaven? I've been taught that the only way you might not is if you deny the Holy Ghost or Jesus when you've had proof that they exist.

10) Do you agree with everything your religion preaches? No

18 hours ago, dsyoung said:

I1) Were you raised in a religious or spiritual household? Yes

2) How did you discover your religion or faith? As a young boy, reading scriptures, attending church, serving, and kneeling in prayer with my family.

3) What are the "rules" or most important aspects of your religion's views? Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Love your neighbor as yourself.

4) Is there anything that is greatly frowned upon in your religion? Being unkind.

5) In what ways do you practice your religion? Study, prayer, serving/benefiting others.

6) Are there any stereotypes regarding your religion that you have faced? Yes. Those few who have been the most intolerant/unkind have surprisingly (or not) been other Mormons surprisingly the most vehement of which have been under the umbrella of my own family.

7) What would you want others to know about your religions or beliefs? It reinforces, defends, and sustains the truths found in your scriptures, and is a friend to all of any or no faith who wish to help make the world a better place.

8 ) Would you marry a person of a different faith than yourself? Yes. But my faith has inclusive views on a number of beliefs...so it might be difficult/impossible to find someone of good heart who I would deem being of a different faith.

9) How do you get to heaven? Second star to the right, and straight on til morning. (Family, literal or figurative, *is* heaven on Earth.)

10) Do you agree with everything your religion preaches? Yes. (If not, it wouldn't be *my* religion.) But if you're asking whether I'm LDS, the more accurate answer might be no: although I am Mormon of a slightly different stripe.

Edited by probablyHagoth7

No.  Father was agnostic, mother was Baptist but seldom attended church.

Met a young man in the 8th grade of whom I asked many questions, after he admitted to being a Mormon.  His answers to my questions led me to investigate and join the church.

The most important thing to me is the Lord Jesus Christ, his sacrifice that can save me from my sins, and his resurrection, which will lead to my own resurrection.  

This can best be answered by mentioning the two greatest commandments, these two that Jesus Christ spoke of: (1) Love God with all one's heart and mind; (2) Love your fellow human beings as you love yourself.  One loves God by keeping His commandments (with the 10 commandments being a good starting place); one loves one's fellow human beings in the same way (because the 10 commandments mostly address our relationship to our fellow human beings).  Those things which opposes these two commandments are definitely greatly frowned upon.

I attend church weekly in order to help me keep myself cognizant of my responsibilities, fulfill whatever callings I have been given in church (our church is an all-volunteer layperson-led church -- we do not have paid clergy at the local level), and I try my best to keep the two commandments mentioned in question #4.

Yes, like "How many wives do you have?"  Never asked seriously, but only as a mild joke.

That I have found great happiness and contentment in following the teachings of the LDS church.  

No.  I have definitely avoided it.  

Keeping the two commandments mentioned in the answer to question #4 is a good start.  And: having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; repenting of one's wrongdoings; getting baptized by one having divine authority to do so.

Pretty much!