Sign in to follow this  

Groups ask trump admin to investigate the Church

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865675913/Groups-ask-Trump-administration-to-investigate-LDS-Church.html

Apparently they're questioning whether we are being shady with visas. The argument doesn't make much sense to me.

However, I would certainly encourage everyone in the administration to investigate the Church. I know some young men and women who would love to introduce you to the restoration

Looking at the letter they are alleged that the church made transactions with foreign governments for visa which, for some unstated reason, they claim that these visa requests were against US interests.

Looks like a fishing expedition to me

Yikes! :(

Well, now that the Syrian crisis is over, 45 et al need something to do.

1 hour ago, Avatar4321 said:

Looking at the letter they are alleged that the church made transactions with foreign governments for visa which, for some unstated reason, they claim that these visa requests were against US interests.

Looks like a fishing expedition to me

More likely harassment.

44 minutes ago, Calm said:

More likely harassment.

Wouldn't surprise me. But am I expecting too much by wanting people to have good reasons for doing this?

Posted (edited)

I imagine the church has made transactions with other countries for visas - difficult for missionaries to go abroad to other countries otherwise!   whether they were against us interests or not depends on your view of sending missionaries I suppose!  

Seems like it's just another way to attack the church, given who the initiators are, despite what they claim. 

Edited by sheilauk

Doesn't every convert have to investigate the church before they join? This investigation will bring a whole new meaning to 'The White House'. I suspect 'visa' is code for 'temple recommend'. 

This reminds me of the primary songs "I sat in congress a long time ago it is true" and "I want to rule the senate, I'm going there some day"

Posted (edited)

Yes, the church lobbies foreign governments about visas.   How this can be viewed as undermining the US or is underhanded is difficult to imagine?   Have they reported every other lobbyist?   How about every other thing any senator or representative has ever contacted a foreign government about, on behalf of a constituent?

Some people saw the video discussion with Gordon Smith (who is no longer a senator) and decided that his willingness to do what he could to help the church was somehow different than lobbying in general or the ordinary constituent services he did for everyone else. 

Edited by rpn

17 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I thought that everybody knew that Mormon missionaries were actually CIA agents.  How could helping our country’s spies gain entry into foreign countries be against our country’s interests?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sleeper Cell said:

I thought that everybody knew that Mormon missionaries were actually CIA agents.  How could helping our country’s spies gain entry into foreign countries be against our country’s interests?

You might not be that far off the mark...

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/2012/02/13/the-mormon-thing/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865666010/Evan-McMullin-Mormon-ex-CIA-operative-running-on-principle-not-politics.html

http://www.ldsliving.com/Why-Mormons-Make-Great-FBI-Recruits-How-the-FBI-Mormon-Mafia-Myth-Began/s/80479

I thought this Ensign article relevant to the OP. https://www.lds.org/ensign/1982/10/news-of-the-church?lang=eng

ETA: From the Ensign article: 

Church Denies Sandinista Charges in Nicaragua

In a firm statement issued Thursday, August 12, Church officials in Salt Lake City refuted charges by the Sandinista government of Nicaragua that Church missionaries are involved in CIA-directed plots against its government.

The statement was made after the Sandinistas had confiscated three LDS chapels and approximately seventeen other places of worship belonging to Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists, and Jehovah’s Witnesses. Nicaraguan officials said the property was seized because of the churches’ involvement in CIA-directed plans to undermine its government.

“Our missionaries are sent into the world solely to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ,” Church officials said. “They are closely supervised, and missionaries are instructed always to function in pairs.

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes it emphatically clear as a matter of policy, training, and practice that no missionary is to be involved in CIA activities, in political activities, or in subversive activities of any nature in the countries where they serve,” officials continued.

“For more than a century, we have followed the statement of one of our Articles of Faith, which says:

“‘We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law,’” [A of F 1:12] Church officials explained.

Several years ago, during the civil war that saw the Sandinista government rise to power, all LDS American missionaries were withdrawn from Nicaragua. Earlier this year, several Protestants, including a number of Americans, were expelled by the government on the accusation that they were involved with the CIA in efforts to overthrow the Sandinistas, who have ruled Nicaragua since the civil war of 1979.

Edited by Tacenda

4 hours ago, probablyHagoth7 said:

Is the agitator Decker, by chance, any relation to Ed?

The article states it's a secular organization, but I thought that might be the case too for a second 

46 minutes ago, boblloyd91 said:

The article states it's a secular organization, but I thought that might be the case too for a second 

I consider Ed *quite* secular...

(Willing to be wrong about that.)

I thought we had decided as a nation that shady government dealings and financial improprieties are the new norm. What is the big deal here?

On 3/18/2017 at 10:56 PM, Freedom said:

Doesn't every convert have to investigate the church before they join? This investigation will bring a whole new meaning to 'The White House'. I suspect 'visa' is code for 'temple recommend'. 

This reminds me of the primary songs "I sat in congress a long time ago it is true" and "I want to rule the senate, I'm going there some day"

That a primary song or a Sith daydream song?

13 hours ago, probablyHagoth7 said:

Is the agitator Decker, by chance, any relation to Ed?

I was curious about that myself

Posted (edited)

Don't worry. Once we have the big beautiful wall up Mormon missionaries will no longer be able to preach on either side.samuel-the-lamanite.jpg

Oh.   :( 

Edited by The Nehor