Sign in to follow this  
Stargazer

Missionaries in Brazil fight off robbers

Link here, it's Fox 13 in SLC:

http://fox13now.com/2017/03/14/two-lds-missionaries-fight-off-armed-attacker-in-brazil/

One worries that these robbers will make a point of targeting missionaries in the future, just out of revenge.

On the other hand, maybe they will avoid them, because their aim is easy money, and targets who fight back aren't easy.  Another problem is just this: missionaries don't carry much cash (I never did), but dressed as nicely as they do, perhaps they appear prosperous -- and the robbers perhaps won't take their word for it that they're broke.

If I had been the elders, I think I would have handed them some money, along with a copy of the Book of Mormon. 

Scary

19 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Scary

Yes, very.

Some time ago I saw a video of a similar event involving another motorcycle.  The victim in this case had a helmet-cam running, when he was accosted on a busy road by a pistol-wielding thief who attempted to hijack his bike.  The victim got off his bike and let the thief have it, but as he began to drive off, a person who had witnessed the event from his pickup truck got out, and shot the robber dead.  In full view of the helmet cam.  It was heart-rending, because taking a life, even an armed robber's, is a tragic thing.  It turned out that the shooter was an off-duty policeman.  If this had been the US, I expect that it would have been an incident that the officer could have been charged criminally for, since the man was no longer threatening anyone.  But it was Brazil.  It was probably seen as a justifiable homicide.

Hopefully the missionaries were transferred out of that area for their own safety.  Hopefully the attackers aren't looking for revenge.

I know a missionary that was robbed at gun point in Brazil while on a bus full of missionaries going to zone conference.  The robbers kept apologizing and asking for the missionaries to pray for them.  They claimed they were stealing to feed their families.

Posted (edited)

Bet the missionary president will be giving a lecture next mission conference time or whatever those are called (zone conference may be too small?)

Maybe these days, he just sends out an email on the tablets they have.

Edited by Calm

Maybe there are some places where it would be better for missionaries to blend in without the suit and tie.  Clean, neat and a nametag..but just blend in with the city.

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Maybe there are some places where it would be better for missionaries to blend in without the suit and tie.  Clean, neat and a nametag..but just blend in with the city.

In most major cities they are actually better off being easily identified. In a lot of cities the missionaries are respected as a kind of neutral harmless element and are left alone. My brothers watched a pair of thugs mug a guy and then the muggers saw the elders, said hello, and gave them the wallet as a kind of sheepish gift. They gave it back. In some areas you try to meet the local criminals so they know who you are. 

That being said my companion and I almost had to fight a couple of morons from a local crime family who were coming after one of our investigators (her gypsy boyfriend had ticked them off and then skipped town). Luckily we were able to avoid violence. There was one area in my mission we were told to take off our nametags in and stay away from as much as possible. A pair of crazy missionary-obsessed women lived in the neighborhood and we did not want to get sucked into the crazy.

My brother was held up at gunpoint on his mission to Rio de Janeiro.

1 hour ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

My brother was held up at gunpoint on his mission to Rio de Janeiro.

I had a guy pull a shotgun on me. Told us he would shoot us if it was not illegal. To be fair I am pretty sure the shotgun was not loaded and was not in working condition.

10 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I had a guy pull a shotgun on me. Told us he would shoot us if it was not illegal. To be fair I am pretty sure the shotgun was not loaded and was not in working condition.

They were more old-school in the Philippines. No shotguns.  We came to a small bamboo house and called out  "tao po (is anybody home)" as is customary.  A couple seconds later we heard what could only be described as a demonic scream from hell as a large woman came barreling out of the front door waving a machete and screaming in English, "I chop chop you, I chop chop you."  Luckily we were at the outside gate or we may have been her dinner that night. 

Sign in to follow this