Seriously No Politics ×

12 Reasons Millenials are Over Church

I think this is a reason why the church preaches marriage at a young age, two people can work on each other and keep each other active maybe, not always or they both may leave who knows. I too am tired about mission statements and ward and stake plans that go nowhere, big hoopla talking about it but usually that's the end of it! hahhaha!

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I think this is a reason why the church preaches marriage at a young age, two people can work on each other and keep each other active maybe, not always or they both may leave who knows. I too am tired about mission statements and ward and stake plans that go nowhere, big hoopla talking about it but usually that's the end of it! hahhaha!

I agree. The common thread I see throughout most of the 12 Reasons relate to a desire to be engaged in a meaningful work, trusted with information, and valued as full contributors to the faith tradition. I think it would require significant creativity to move beyond the traditional/cultural norms of worship to make it more relevant to many of these Millenials who are leaving.

1 minute ago, stemelbow said:

Those reasons all resonate too strongly for me to feel safe anymore.  How did I just feel like I got lumped in with millennials?  My kids will have a hey day with that bit of revelation. 

Ha, ha. I know what you mean. Many of these things resonate with this Gen-Xer.

#6 specifically speaks to the issue of transparency, both in finances and institutional operations.

#9 is really interesting to me. They want to talk about "controversial" issues. I read this to say "relevant" issues. Religion has developed over millennia as people try to understand the world around them and make sense out of the unexplainable. A person 5000 years ago may have asked "Why is there a drought/famine?" to which an answer of a displeased God may be proposed. At the time of the restoration, the church answered significant questions that were a part of the cultural milieu. 'Who are these Indians and where did they come from"- Answer- Book of Mormon Lamanites. What happens to those who die without a knowledge of Christ- Answer- vicarious ordinances...etc. The restoration answered pressing questions.

Today the relevant societal questions are a little different, often revolving around issues of social justice. I think these are the issues millenials want to discuss. Not because they are "controversial" but because they are relevant to their experience and need.

16 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

#6 specifically speaks to the issue of transparency, both in finances and institutional operations.

#9 is really interesting to me. They want to talk about "controversial" issues. I read this to say "relevant" issues. Religion has developed over millennia as people try to understand the world around them and make sense out of the unexplainable. A person 5000 years ago may have asked "Why is there a drought/famine?" to which an answer of a displeased God may be proposed. At the time of the restoration, the church answered significant questions that were a part of the cultural milieu. 'Who are these Indians and where did they come from"- Answer- Book of Mormon Lamanites. What happens to those who die without a knowledge of Christ- Answer- vicarious ordinances...etc. The restoration answered pressing questions.

Today the relevant societal questions are a little different, often revolving around issues of social justice. I think these are the issues millenials want to discuss. Not because they are "controversial" but because they are relevant to their experience and need.

So history is repeating itself...

Now it came to pass that there were many of the rising generation that could not understand the words of king Benjamin, being little children at the time he spake unto his people; and they did not believe the tradition of their fathers.

They did not believe what had been said concerning the resurrection of the dead, neither did they believe concerning the coming of Christ.

And now because of their unbelief they could not understand the word of God; and their hearts were hardened.

And they would not be baptized; neither would they join the church. And they were a separate people as to their faith, and remained so ever after, even in their carnal and sinful state; for they would not call upon the Lord their God.

And now in the reign of Mosiah they were not half so numerous as the people of God; but because of the dissensions among the brethren they became more numerous. (Alma 26)

And yet the Nephite branch of the kingdom of God on earth moved forward for about another 450 years, including the glorious Nephite "golden age" recorded in 4th Nephi. 

Edited by Bobbieaware
17 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Heya...they are also speaking for a baby boomer!;)

I wonder how much the communication problem is a result of the internet and social media? We now have a generation that has grown up with cell phones and computers. Most online communication done between strangers carries no information about age and each side is evaluating the other based purely on what is written. This social media generation has, in my opinion, the expectation of being able to engage on an equal playing field with others regardless of age, yet the church is led, from the bishop level on up, by older white males who, for the most part have been raised in a completely different social culture.

I am not a Trump supporter or fan, but I believe one primary reason he won the election was because he used social media more effectively than Clinton. I think the church is still trying to use 20th century technology to communicate with the 21st century generation and it is not working.

6 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Now it came to pass that there were many of the rising generation that could not understand the words of king Benjamin, being little children at the time he spake unto his people; and they did not believe the tradition of their fathers.

They did not believe what had been said concerning the resurrection of the dead, neither did they believe concerning the coming of Christ.

And now because of their unbelief they could not understand the word of God; and their hearts were hardened.

And they would not be baptized; neither would they join the church. And they were a separate people as to their faith, and remained so ever after, even in their carnal and sinful state; for they would not call upon the Lord their God.

And now in the reign of Mosiah they were not half so numerous as the people of God; but because of the dissensions among the brethren they became more numerous. (Alma 26)

And yet the Nephite branch of the kingdom of God on earth moved forward for about another 450 years, including the glorious Nephite "golden age" recorded in 4th Nephi. 

I didn't see anywhere that they didn't come to church because they didn't believe in God/Jesus Christ. I think they know that men or woman now, run the church. And they don't trust what is taught, and they believe some of those teachings are harmful. I can think of several in the LDS church that caused harm, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

:)

There are many "traditions" in the church, but that does not mean they are all gospel, doctrine, necessary, good. They are traditions of men. Such "traditions" are open to adaptation. 

1 minute ago, JulieM said:

Yes, calling them sinners always brings them back too :rolleyes:

You do know there are many, many good, righteous people who no longer attend church or who are not members, right?

And the old stereotype that members leave to sin is not true in most cases (and least that I am personally aware of).

Thank you..

11 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

I wonder how much the communication problem is a result of the internet and social media? We now have a generation that has grown up with cell phones and computers. Most online communication done between strangers carries no information about age and each side is evaluating the other based purely on what is written. This social media generation has, in my opinion, the expectation of being able to engage on an equal playing field with others regardless of age, yet the church is led, from the bishop level on up, by older white males who, for the most part have been raised in a completely different social culture.

I am not a Trump supporter or fan, but I believe one primary reason he won the election was because he used social media more effectively than Clinton. I think the church is still trying to use 20th century technology to communicate with the 21st century generation and it is not working.

I think this is a great point. Millenials expect to be treated as equals...as adults who have value and are able to make important contributions. They want to be evaluated on ideas. They seem more likely to look to their inner authority instead of an extrinsic authority that they are told and expected to listen to.

43 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I agree. The common thread I see throughout most of the 12 Reasons relate to a desire to be engaged in a meaningful work, trusted with information, and valued as full contributors to the faith tradition. I think it would require significant creativity to move beyond the traditional/cultural norms of worship to make it more relevant to many of these Millenials who are leaving.

What struck me is that the bolded parts of your post are what everyone desires.  Earlier generations wanted this; I don't think it's unique to millennials.  So my questions are-

~Is there something about our current church culture that is no longer providing this for the younger generations of adults when it used to in earlier eras?

~Is there something in millennial culture/understanding/way-of-being-in-the-world/psyche that makes them more needy than previous generations?

Just now, bluebell said:

What struck me is that the bolded parts of your post are what everyone desires.  Earlier generations wanted this; I don't think it's unique to millennials.  So my questions are-

~Is there something about our current church culture that is no longer providing this for the younger generations of adults when it used to in earlier eras?

~Is there something in millennial culture/understanding/way-of-being-in-the-world/psyche that makes them more needy than previous generations?

Great questions.

IMO the general culture has changed. Everyone wants to feel needed and important but in previous generations I think there may have been a greater overall trust in authority. Millenials have grown up with political, religious, and corporate scandals. They are dubious of external authority because they see how it has failed so many times. Previous generations had greater respect for hierarchical authority. I think Millenials have a different expectation for how they should relate with others and the world. CA Steve had a good post about how this could have developed.

15 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

I think that's an excellent point.  If that's really the problem though, i think it also highlights a major flaw in millennial thinking.  Experience, and the knowledge and wisdom that comes with it, takes time.  It's not an equality that can just be bestowed or granted.  

Also, every generation goes thru a point where the leadership of the church is made up of people who were raised in completely different social cultures. Other generations were able to navigate that though millennials seem unable to do so (if your thinking above is correct).   Why?

I'm wondering, is it the same reason that we are constantly reading about millennials that still live at home because they won't take a job they don't love or that they feel is beneath them or that doesn't offer them the same standard of living as their parents have in their 40s, 50s, and 60s?  Do millennials have a weird sense of entitlement or an inflated understanding of their own awesomeness that other generations, raised differently, didn't suffer from as much?  

Is it something else?

I have no idea and you probably don't either but your post brought the questions to my mind.

12 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Great questions.

IMO the general culture has changed. Everyone wants to feel needed and important but in previous generations I think there may have been a greater overall trust in authority. Millenials have grown up with political, religious, and corporate scandals. They are dubious of external authority because they see how it has failed so many times. Previous generations had greater respect for hierarchical authority. I think Millenials have a different expectation for how they should relate with others and the world. CA Steve had a good post about how this could have developed.

Do you think the generation of the 60's had a greater trust in authority than millennials?  (I'm not trying to sound snarky, i'm really wondering what you think).

I think you are right in that millennials have different expectations than other generations.  

I think that social/generational trends are in great flux right now, and it's too soon to do a post-mortem on ramifications/implications. Bobbieaware referred to scriptural examples of generational disconnect--- there are other examples as well. I think things among GenX/Y/Z, etc. can change rapidly as things change rapidly. And things are certainly in flux and turmoil in the world . . . 

Including some backlash against the social media/electronics-saturation among young people. 

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I think that's an excellent point.  If that's really the problem though, i think it also highlights a major flaw in millennial thinking.  Experience, and the knowledge and wisdom that comes with it, takes time.  It's not an equality that can just be bestowed or granted.  

Also, every generation goes thru a point where the leadership of the church is made up of people who were raised in completely different social cultures. Other generations were able to navigate that though millennials seem unable to do so (if your thinking above is correct).   Why?

I'm wondering, is it the same reason that we are constantly reading about millennials that still live at home because they won't take a job they don't love or that they feel is beneath them or that doesn't offer them the same standard of living as their parents have in their 40s, 50s, and 60s?  Do millennials have a weird sense of entitlement or an inflated understanding of their own awesomeness that other generations, raised differently, didn't suffer from as much?  

Is it something else?

I have no idea and you probably don't either but your post brought the questions to my mind.

While it's true that wisdom is often developed over time, there are often artificial barriers that limit participation. It's not the Millenial's think they know everything and that older generations know nothing, but rather they recognize they offer a different perspective and want to be a part of the conversation. Unfortunately they are often left out.

If someone is living at home into their 40-60's they are not Millenials :) They're too old.

I don't think it's about a false sense of entitlement, rather a recognition that they should have a place at the table, but don't.

21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

no, to more needy.  They seem less needy and more critical.  And that's not a bad thing.  The Church, and churches will adapt and have adapted to some extent. 

5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Do you think the generation of the 60's had a greater trust in authority than millennials?  (I'm not trying to sound snarky, i'm really wondering what you think).

I think you are right in that millennials have different expectations than other generations.  

There was certainly a counter culture that didn't trust authority but I think the majority of western civilization was more trusting of authority. Maybe this is the era when these attitudes started shifting. Now those youth from the 60's are grandparents, teachers, and professors that influence the development of younger generations.

Yes, Millenials have different expectations than other generations. I don't think that is necessarily a negative thing, but it does require some adjustments.