Sign in to follow this  
bsjkki

LDS church is providing legal aid to immigrants in Arizona and Salt Lake City

5 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

Strange. Mormons promoting breaking the law.

Actually, this thread is about Mormons providing legal services to help people  follow the law.

9 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

Strange.  A Mormon putting man's laws above God's.

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

Strange.  A Mormon putting man's laws above God's.

I would imagine that it is just this one law that he puts above all others.  I doubt he feels the same way about traffic laws, tax laws, environmental laws and other laws he doesn't agree with or that he doesn't obey.

2 hours ago, mnn727 said:

We have a long and storied history of doing so when we feel our religious obligations outweigh our secular ones. We certainly endorsed breaking bigamy laws. We defied the army in the Utah War.

We also do not tell people to break the law. We help those who did. It is also a petty offense in any case. I would rate it barely above traffic and parking tickets.

I meet many who insist that immigration law be followed to the letter but for some reason are incredibly inconsistent. I find it amusing that the same voices calling for strict immigration enforcement are also whitewashing Flynn's violation of the Logan Act or Trump's violation of the Emoluments clause of the Constitution. The most powerful can ignore the law or it is suddenly not important if you find them useful but the poor immigrants coming here in response to Lady Liberty's creed are vile sinners of the worst sort and must be dealt with harshly?

Edited by The Nehor

I would be very happy if the church was helping members obtain legal status.  

I know far too many stories of bad lawyers who don't file paper work for people and screw their chances.  This includes for people who came in legally and even people who had their green card for years.  

On 2/16/2017 at 9:26 AM, mnn727 said:

I sincerely hope the Church is not providing (legal) aid to illegals.

1. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

The Fifth, Sixth and Fourteenth amendments guarantee the right of due process for all Persons living in the USA.  

Edited by saemo

5 hours ago, saemo said:

The Fifth, Sixth and Fourteenth amendments guarantee the right of due process for all Persons living in the USA.  

Actually it is for citizens, not someone here illegally.

These words, from Section One of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution rank along with the Constitution's Bill of Rights

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Edited by mnn727

5 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Nope, the courts have ruled that many constitutional rights apply to aliens, legal/documented or otherwise.

7 hours ago, mnn727 said:

You forgot about the other two amendments.

Why do you want to take away their rights?, is it because they are brown? Or is it just that you don't like that they talk funny?

4 hours ago, Danzo said:

Why do you want to take away their rights?, is it because they are brown? Or is it just that you don't like that they talk funny?

What part of 'entering the county illegally' are you having a hard time understanding? 

16 hours ago, mnn727 said:

nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

In summary, the entire case of illegal aliens being covered by and protected by the Constitution has been settled law for 129 years and rests on one word: "person."

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/255281-yes-illegal-aliens-have-constitutional-rights

14th Amendment: nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Edited by saemo

7 hours ago, mnn727 said:

What part of 'entering the county illegally' are you having a hard time understanding? 

What part of persons do you not understand?

12 hours ago, mnn727 said:

It is very clear that you have absolutely no understanding of the law that you are trying to defend.

1.  There are people who entered the country illegally who are citizens today.

2.  There are people who entered the country legally who are illegal.

Both cases are allowed by the law. "Entering the country illegally' is a relatively small part of the issue.

There is a bigger issue at play here, I am to understand that you view "honoring, obeying and sustaining the law" to be much more important than any other commandment ever issued.

It is clear that the lord does not feel that way.  

There are two great commandments, neither of which involves obeying wicked laws made by man.

Hartman Rector Junior put it best in his April 1994 conference address 

" Yes, we must be nice. If we’re not nice, I don’t think we’re going to make it. "

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1994/10/endure-to-the-end-in-charity?lang=eng

If 50 people per day are speeding on the LA freeway , society can deal with it . If 500,000 people per day are speeding on the LA freeway , society will be paying an enormous price in increased accidents and deaths, medical costs,less productivity etc. ( probably a bad analogy given LA traffic currently )

If 50 people per day enter the US illegally, society can deal with it. At what point will society become overwhelmed by the needs of illegal immigrants?

In Europe , several countries are now experiencing serious problems because of massive immigration. There needs to be order in this and , given security concerns, caution .

I could probably take in  one refugee family and provide for them for a year or so. If 10 refugee families showed up at my door, I would quickly become a refugee myself.

I find it instructive that many of the outraged celebrities who have millions and vast estates, have yet to offer space in their own homes for any immigrants. Do as I say, not as I do 

I guess.

27 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

If 50 people per day are speeding on the LA freeway , society can deal with it . If 500,000 people per day are speeding on the LA freeway , society will be paying an enormous price in increased accidents and deaths, medical costs,less productivity etc. ( probably a bad analogy given LA traffic currently )

If 50 people per day enter the US illegally, society can deal with it. At what point will society become overwhelmed by the needs of illegal immigrants?

In Europe , several countries are now experiencing serious problems because of massive immigration. There needs to be order in this and , given security concerns, caution .

I could probably take in  one refugee family and provide for them for a year or so. If 10 refugee families showed up at my door, I would quickly become a refugee myself.

I find it instructive that many of the outraged celebrities who have millions and vast estates, have yet to offer space in their own homes for any immigrants. Do as I say, not as I do 

I guess.

I think King Benjamin answers this question quite well when he says 

24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.

25 And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.

27 And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.

Obviously there is only so much we can do, but we need to do what we can do. 

32 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

One of the problems with current immigration law is that it does not distinguish between poor and rich.  

Just because someone is illegal, doesn't mean that they are poor.

I have several clients that make upper six figure incomes that are illegal.  They pay their taxes very willingly. 

1 hour ago, Danzo said:

One of the problems with current immigration law is that it does not distinguish between poor and rich.  

Just because someone is illegal, doesn't mean that they are poor.

I have several clients that make upper six figure incomes that are illegal.  They pay their taxes very willingly. 

I don't know who you are but I love everything that you say!!!!!:lol:

Sign in to follow this