Seriously No Politics ×

God's Playground

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

I am so thankful our religion offers us the hope of participating with God in the creation of new worlds and populating them with His children.

I cannot imagine anything that could be more beautiful, satisfying, and exciting as this. If this is where He plays, I want to be a part of it,

no matter how small that part may be. What do you think?

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170208.html

I think if you really believe you will be a god and create worlds you are believing in a wonderful fantasy.

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

I think if you really believe you will be a god and create worlds you are believing in a wonderful fantasy.

If by that you mean it will be fantastic, then I'd have to agree.  Wonderfully, delightfully, magnificently fantastic!

17 hours ago, Teancum said:

The OP discussion on this is the very reason I don't want to be in the Celestial Kingdom..if there is one.  NO way!  Would I want to put my spirit children through this??  With little information with so much accountability to return to Mom???  No way...I love children unconditionally...Having a planet is just the last thing I want!

Edited to add:  This is even sadder when they don't know who their mother is...or talk to me!!

Edited by Jeanne
13 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Would I want to put my spirit children through this??   

No way...I love children unconditionally.

Apparently not.
You say you love children but you want to limit them and prevent them from growing, progressing, and living up to their potential.
That's not really love.

Their potential depends on who they want to be is and what they  want to become.  If they want challenges I can give them that...if they want to grow..I can help..but never do I not want to be a part of their lives spiritual or otherwise and expect them to be Gods..to be with me..that crazy!!  Powers..intelligence???  That doesn't weigh on my conditions..They have love and choices to do that...If they want a body..fine.  But they will KNOW me...and information (truth) will not be withheld for their return.  No way..

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

The OP discussion on this is the very reason I don't want to be in the Celestial Kingdom..if there is one.  NO way!  Would I want to put my spirit children through this?? 

Put them through what...life?  Would you discourage people from having children then?

23 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

You can't really love your children unless you want them to be all they can be, to learn, to grow, to develop.
Whether or not you believe them to be potential Gods is irrelevant to that principle.
Not allowing your kids to struggle, deal with mistakes, be accountable for actions, fail occasionally, heck, even fall and skin a knee, teaches them nothing.

Jeanne says she wouldn't want to put her "spirit children" through the mortal experience.  To me that falls under the same category of protecting to the point of stunting their development.

I don't think it'd want my child to be the president. That doesn't sound like a happy path to me. Is there something wrong with me? 

Just now, Gray said:

I don't think it'd want my child to be the president. That doesn't sound like a happy path to me. Is there something wrong with me?

You are viewing "God" as a job description.
Perhaps view the journey to Godhood as high school instead.  Would you not want your child to graduate?

Would you want your child to remain uneducated in the (relative) safety of a high school environment forever?  No moving into the real world?

25 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

You are viewing "God" as a job description.
Perhaps view the journey to Godhood as high school instead.  Would you not want your child to graduate?

Would you want your child to remain uneducated in the (relative) safety of a high school environment forever?  No moving into the real world?

I don't know if there is really a good analogy with human life. I get where Jeanne is coming from. The path that the plan of salvation outlines is one fraught with terrible suffering. The kind of parenthood we ascribe to God involves the heavenly parent making decisions that no earthly parent would feel comfortable with. Like, for instance, cutting off all direct with mom, or exposing your children to terrible, monstrous suffering as part of a test designed to make them like you are. 

Even if you make it to Godhood, the suffering doesn't end, if you believe Terryl Givens.

Edited by Gray
1 hour ago, pogi said:

Put them through what...life?  Would you discourage people from having children then?

No...not at all. I don't just claim to love children..I do love children...which is why I would not put them on a planet with no direction or enough info to return home.  They would never have to worship me for me to love them. 

21 hours ago, Teancum said:

Fortunately, I have far greater confidence in that hope than whatever alternative you might have to offer. I'm very sorry you have lost that.

4 hours ago, Jeanne said:

The OP discussion on this is the very reason I don't want to be in the Celestial Kingdom..if there is one.  NO way!  Would I want to put my spirit children through this??  With little information with so much accountability to return to Mom???  No way...I love children unconditionally...Having a planet is just the last thing I want!

Edited to add:  This is even sadder when they don't know who their mother is...or talk to me!!

I can't share that jaundiced view. With great risk comes great reward. God will not put us in a place where we would feel uncomfortable without an iron-clad promise of glorious redemption and infinite compensation. There is no other way, but It's our choice.

4 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

I don't want to work for all eternity.  I want to rest in the peace, joy, and beauty that is the Beatific Vision.

But maybe I'm just lazy ;)

This is the Beatific Vision...on steroids. Not just observing a scene, but participating in the creative work of God from the inside....seeing creation with His vision from His point of view. Celestial beings are not limited by the weaknesses and shackles of mortality.

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Their potential depends on who they want to be is and what they  want to become.  If they want challenges I can give them that...if they want to grow..I can help..but never do I not want to be a part of their lives spiritual or otherwise and expect them to be Gods..to be with me..that crazy!!  Powers..intelligence???  That doesn't weigh on my conditions..They have love and choices to do that...If they want a body..fine.  But they will KNOW me...and information (truth) will not be withheld for their return.  No way..

God will not force on you something you do not want. Our reward will precisely match our desires.

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 hours ago, Gray said:

You can't really love your children unless you want them to be gods

It is powerful love to offer them everything God has...the gift by His grace (love) to live as He lives and play in the best playground there could possibly be.

2 hours ago, Gray said:

How about letting your child be president if she wants to? Why would you impose your limits on her?

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 minute ago, Bernard Gui said:

How about letting your child be president if she wants to? Why would you put limits on them?

Because it might be a hard journey, they might suffer pain and humiliation, they might not be able to stay home with me forever...and so forth.

1 hour ago, Gray said:

I don't know if there is really a good analogy with human life. I get where Jeanne is coming from. The path that the plan of salvation outlines is one fraught with terrible suffering. The kind of parenthood we ascribe to God involves the heavenly parent making decisions that no earthly parent would feel comfortable with. Like, for instance, cutting off all direct with mom, or exposing your children to terrible, monstrous suffering as part of a test designed to make them like you are. 

Even if you make it to Godhood, the suffering doesn't end, if you believe Terryl Givens.

it's suffering that makes the sweet so exquisite. No one will be made to be like God, but all will have the opportunity to make the choice.